A friend of mine is getting into basses and he'll be needing a starter bass for under 250€ (he doesn't need an amp).

He also wants to know what the Nikki Sixx bass is like.
What amp does he have now?

The Nikki Sixx bass is a thunderbird...there's a few threads around here that explain, but to put it simply they look cool, but they neckdive horribly, have very little upper-fret access, and have a really muddy tone that doesn't cur through a mix well unless you really know what you're doing. I would not recommend it as a first bass.

What style of music does he like? Knowing that will help us determine a good bass to recommend to him.
Nope, no sig here.
I have no idea what he wants to play with it. I also have no idea what kind of amp he's getting. He seems pretty clueless about it himself right now.
I know that feeling...

Anyway, basically if he stays away from Epiphone, Dean, and all the cheapo off-brand stuff, he'll be just fine.

That said, do you know what he listens to?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I know that feeling...

Anyway, basically if he stays away from Epiphone, Dean, and all the cheapo off-brand stuff, he'll be just fine.

That said, do you know what he listens to?

GnR, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, Deep Purple...

I was thinking something Fender
Yeah that sounds good to me too, going by his taste. The Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines are both well-regarded.

edit: I just looked at Thomann. The ones to look at in that price range are the Squier Precision Specials(there's a few of them), the Squier Standard Jazz, the Cort Action A-bass.

If he can stretch his budget a little but the Vintage Modified precision and Jass, as well as the Peavey Zodiac are very good options.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 16, 2008,