I have just got a ibanez rg2550z and play mainly metal and the stock dimarzios aint all that really i was thinking is it possible to get the H-S-H all active emgs? But the problem is can you fit like two 9volt batteries anywhere? or i was thinking of getting seymour duncan black outs but i dont no there voltage. Help guys!
yes you can but it will take some modding. have you checked out any bareknuckle passive pups?
Quote by jymellis
yes you can but it will take some modding. have you checked out any bareknuckle passive pups?

modding? Na i havent any good? i want some pick ups with a nice metal tone, o and my guitar is bassword i dunno if that effects anything, like wood types :S lol.
modding requires a change in the volume pot. I think u have to change that to a 25k pot, but im not sure about the specifics. Not sure about tone pot either.

Though u sure u want actives? they kinda take away from the tone of the wood not to mention that u'll sound like everyone else who use emg's/ actives. also the cleans on that stuff is not the best u can have with passives.

Edit : Define what u think metal is....
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Last edited by kai2demax at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by kai2demax
modding requires a change in the volume pot. I think u have to change that to a 25k pot, but im not sure about the specifics. Not sure about tone pot either.

Though u sure u want actives? they kinda take away from the tone of the wood not to mention that u'll sound like everyone else who use emg's/ actives. also the cleans on that stuff is not the best u can have with passives.

Edit : Define what u think metal is....

I was thinking of getting passive pups but i cant find any really good ones as then i dont have to try and wedge 9 volt batteries in my guitar lol and everyone reckons active emgs are the way to go in getting a strong metal tone.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
I was thinking of getting passive pups but i cant find any really good ones as then i dont have to try and wedge 9 volt batteries in my guitar lol and everyone reckons active emgs are the way to go in getting a strong metal tone.

imo and you don't have to listen or anything but i would think that a mesa boogie dual rectifier with some crappy duncan designed pups would do metal better then an emg equipped ESP playing into a fender frontman. so with that said what amp do you have? but also check out bareknuckle pickups.
Active EMGs, 90% of the time are used by n00bs who get told that Active EMGs are 'teh br00t@lz' without trying anything else. Not saying you're a n00b, but you have options. SD Blackouts are great if you're still looking at actives, and there's some really good passive ones. I personally like SD Invaders, but some people complain that they're muddy so they might not be for you.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
imo and you don't have to listen or anything but i would think that a mesa boogie dual rectifier with some crappy duncan designed pups would do metal better then an emg equipped ESP playing into a fender frontman. so with that said what amp do you have? but also check out bareknuckle pickups.

i have a Engl thunder 50 head and Engl 4x12 cab. do SD blackouts use a lower voltage that emgs?
dude,you don't have to use active pickups for metal.there are many passive pickups that can handle metal like Dimarzio's super dist,d-activators,x2n and evo, SD's Jb can also handle metal,installing passives would be much2 easier.some of those pickups are also very versatile..
My Gear:
Ibanez RGR320EX
Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Tar'270
dude,you don't have to use active pickups for metal.there are many passive pickups that can handle metal like Dimarzio's super dist,d-activators,x2n and evo, SD's Jb can also handle metal,installing passives would be much2 easier.some of those pickups are also very versatile..

really? What would be a good H-S-H set up my style? any suggestions? thanks.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
really? What would be a good H-S-H set up my style? any suggestions? thanks.

what's the maximum that you wanna spend?
yeah you should be able to be assissted by Tim over at bareknuckles send him an email and he will probably give you the best answer well better then from me anyway.
surf around, go to the dimarzio,bareknuckle or seymour duncan websites,with a H-S-H set up,you've got a lot of choices.what do you play besides metal?
My Gear:
Ibanez RGR320EX
Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Tar'270
surf around, go to the dimarzio,bareknuckle or seymour duncan websites,with a H-S-H set up,you've got a lot of choices.what do you play besides metal?

Hard rock, rock, neoclassical and jazz.
if ya got the money, then the world( of pickups) is your oyster
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
the new dimarzio d-activator-x seems cool,i haven't tried them before but their suppose to be a mix between the regular d-activators and the x2n,so you can get a great metal sound that doesn't get too muddy(so I've heard).pretty sure it can handle hard rock and neoclassical,not sure about jazz though,don't forget to checkout bareknuckles since your in the UK
My Gear:
Ibanez RGR320EX
Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Tar'270
the new dimarzio d-activator-x seems cool,i haven't tried them before but their suppose to be a mix between the regular d-activators and the x2n,so you can get a great metal sound that doesn't get too muddy(so I've heard).pretty sure it can handle hard rock and neoclassical,not sure about jazz though,don't forget to checkout bareknuckles since your in the UK

will do man cheers for the help! also would you recommend seymour duncans?
why not?SD make some great pickups,Micheal ammott from arch enemy uses the JB,you can also search around on youtube for pickup reviews,even though some vids have bad sound quality,at least you can get an idea about how those pickups sound like. I found the Passive Vs Active pickup reviews very informative..
My Gear:
Ibanez RGR320EX
Roland Cube 20x
You know you only need one 9V unless you're doing the 18V mod, right?

Also, if you want EMGs, go for EMG-81/SA/60, the 81 will handle the crunch in the bridge, the SA will take care of anything you want in the middle position, especially when combined with the 81 (it did for me anyway), and the 60 will make beautiful rhythm sounds on clean, unlike the EMG 85, IMO.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.