Some of them might be a little ugly or unusual looking, but I think they're fantastic guitars. Am I missing something?
Danelectro back in the days, was for people who wanted to play guitar, but couldn't afford a *peep*ing expensive Fender or Gibson. =)
They are made of masonite and the electronics are archaic at best. They make some higher end axes though with some interesting electronics. The el cheapo Dans are great for playing slide. Jimmy page used one for a lot of stuff, including, but not limited to "In My Time of Dying".
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
ive heard that their great fiddling guitars.... and being that cheap... hey its a double win!
Quote by damskippy
Jimmy page used one for a lot of stuff, including, but not limited to "In My Time of Dying".

I believe he also used one for kashmir at live shows, not sure about the recording.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I've a DC59, and its incredible!

The tones are fantastic for such a cheap guitar, but as pointed out, the electronics are dismal - the pots are either on or off which isn't great, but easy enough fixed.

They are quite cheaply made, but definately are worth getting as a guitar to play around with or use in studio. I'd be extra careful if I was to use it in a live situation, but i'm sure it would stand it.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
one of hendrix's first electrics was a Danelectro, just thought id ad that
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg