I would like to buy a Stratocaster for around $1500-2000. On Ebay, I can buy Custom Shop or 70's in this price rage. I've played my friend's real vintage 59 Stratocaster once. I'm so impressed with the feel and the sound that I'm wondering how I could get that sound in my price range. It may sound stupid, but I'm serious. I appreciate it for your advice. Thank you in advance.
Well my advice to go out and play some guitars. If you like the vintage strat sound then a reissue strat custom shop is the most reasonable way to go, though its never cheap.

If you like fenders then get a fender, seems simple to me, go to a guitar store.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by pooflinger069
personally I would get a Jackson or ESP but that's just me
I'm not a big Fender fan

Not at all helpful.

If I were you, TS, I wouldn't go with Ebay. If you're paying that much for a guitar, I think you should be able to play it first and see if you like it before making the purchase. Try craigslist, I haven't seen too many high end guitars on there, but at least you know you'll be able to meet up and see the guitar before you buy it.

You could go to a local guitar store and see what they can do about ordering high end guitars. They can probably get them cheaper, and might be willing to cut the price back a bit in return for making a big sale like that. I talk to the guy who runs my local guitar store, and he seems pretty cool about stuff like that.

You probably wouldn't wanna wait so long, but you could also go to a guitar festival type of deal. Lots of guitar manufacturers show up to stuff like that (including Fender) and they have guitars for much cheaper than you would normally find them, meaning you could probably pick up a custom shop for a decent price. Issue is, entry to that kind of thing is pretty steep, but maybe if you know somebody who knows somebody...

The first thing I would do is go to those guitar stores. If you have a guitar center near you, go there and ask around. I know a lot of people dislike guitar center, and for good reasons, but they are going to have more pull as far as ordering high end Fender guitars. Also, check on craigslist, that's something you can do immediately. And ask your local guitar store owner if he knows any places around your area that stock vintage guitars.

Have fun man, if you wanna get a good guitar, I'm sure you can find one, but be prepared to do a lot of driving and looking around. It'll probably end up being a big cool adventure.
Quote by pooflinger069
personally I would get a Jackson or ESP but that's just me
I'm not a big Fender fan

jackson is owned by fender
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
what amp do u have
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
i would go to guitar center and start feeling some american strats. i am sure one of those models will have the feel and sound you want.
Thank you guys, I will go check GC on Thursday.

I have Marshall Super Bass, Supro, Pro Reverb. They are all 60's vintage. My guitar is a crappy 60's Gibson SG Junior. Sounds nice for something but I want to buy a more versatile guitar.

I'm not a good guitar player, to be honest. I'm a session keyboard player / composer for TV and movie, so don't really know about guitars. I mostly work on computer based music, but I personally like old art rock, so I have started my own personal project. My amps are basically for guitar overdub sessions.

I have already asked the same question to the guitar players I know but they have very different opinion each other , so I would like to hear more opinion from this forum. They all say "Play first, don't buy guitar from Ebay".
Last edited by kaigen at Dec 22, 2008,