Ditto.

Bass is like the final frontier for a guitarist.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

I'll make some use of this thread-

Any tips for picking up a bass when moving from another stringed instrument? Most guides just explain towards total beginners, when I'm betting that most bassists are electric guitar converts.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Just because you have experience with other instruments doesn't mean your better than absolute beginners. You always start with the basics, whether you feel you can do better doesn't apply.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Just because you have experience with other instruments doesn't mean your better than absolute beginners. You always start with the basics, whether you feel you can do better doesn't apply.

He has hit the nail on the head here.

Start from the beginning. Bass is a different instrument to guitar. Unless you cant be arsed learning to play bass properly you're still going to have a lot of work ahead of you.

Enjoy.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by eminentgonz

...when I'm betting that most bassists are electric guitar converts.

Why are you betting that?
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Mayano

+1, ur way off man
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I'm a guitar convert...I played a Peavey T-60 with the high E missing for three weeks before I got my first bass(a fiver).

As far as making the switch, make sure you learn how to fingerpick. Playing with only a pick takes a loy of fun out of it, IMO.
Nope, no sig here.
I dunno... what famous bassists started on bass? It seems that being good at bass requires theory that you would normally get from previous experience with multiple instruments.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head at the moment are John Myung, Flea and Victor Wooten.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head at the moment are John Myung, Flea and Victor Wooten.

Flea started on trumpet silly.

But I'm with you, you can learn the theory without playing a different instrument. Ya, it helps, but it's not required or anything.
Quote by Mayano

+3

quite bluntly, f*** guitar.

Jack Bruce started on cello. Wolstenholme of Muse was originally a drummer. Jaco also was a drummer first.

most bassists tried with other instruments first.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by eminentgonz
I dunno... what famous bassists started on bass? It seems that being good at bass requires theory that you would normally get from previous experience with multiple instruments.

Claypool started on bass...

>_>
<_<

I started on bass....
Quote by Mayano

+5

Guitar =/= Bass
Guitar skills =/= Bass skills

Two totally different instruments and just cuz you can play one does not mean you can play the other.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Fine fine, I'll cede that minor point. The whole general point, though, was that programs teach theory towards new bassists when they usually know it to begin with through other instruments.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

And another guitarist has been successfully pwned by the pure and utter might of the what is known as The Bass Forum.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
And another guitarist has been successfully pwned by the pure and utter might of the what is known as The Bass Forum.

BFF

Bass Forum Forever
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ don't be a dick. I think he's been pwned enough already, guys.

EDIT: sorry I was talking about fatgoogle. I'm watching TV while I do this and I keep getting distracted, so it took a few minutes to post

OK, so, if you're taking lessons, you won't have a problem, unless your "bass teacher" is really just a guitarist who can sort of kind of play bass. Not that they aren't allowed to play guitar also, but he must be a real bassist.

If you're self taught, work on timing. I know the "guitarists can't keep rhythm" thing is just a stereotype, but timing matters a lot more in bass. Bass is usually somewhere in between the drums and the guitar. Even guys like Cliff Burton, who I believe was really guitarist at heart, had to know how to keep time. So, work on timing. Also, work on groove. You need to learn how to fit in with everyone else, sort of be the "glue" that holds everything together and fill out sound of the group.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by eminentgonz
I started on a trumpet lol
Rockin yo face off!!!
Country+Rap=Crap
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by EJD
Guitarists aren't like other men. We are awesome
Quote by JEP4
Flea started on trumpet silly.

But I'm with you, you can learn the theory without playing a different instrument. Ya, it helps, but it's not required or anything.
me too woooo
Rockin yo face off!!!
Country+Rap=Crap
(\__/)
Quote by EJD
Sorry I forgot I posted this
It's a Fender Jazz Bass and it's fretless
I don't have any pics
during hurricane Ike it was underwater but somehow the only thing messed up was the pickups so I got new ones now it's bad ass
Rockin yo face off!!!
Country+Rap=Crap
(\__/)
Quote by EJD
half a year later...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^there is an edit button for a reason

EDIT: at pooflinger BTW

EDIT again: hadn't noticed this thread is so old lol

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Apr 28, 2009,