Beside just playing them over and over and over and over and over again, how do you learn it? Is saying the notes name out loud helpful?

How do you apply scales?
I start by repeating the notes out loud. After that I will practice with a metronome.

I know I don't spend enough time really getting to know the notes, but I figure at least I give it a shot.
Learn the shapes and memorize the notes...both vertically (in position) and horizontally (along one string). Then practice moving diagonally (or otherwise) all over the place. You should be able to move in any direction and hit scale notes without even thinking about it.

And yeah I guess you could say the notes out loud...I try to get myself to a point where I know where all the chord tones are, where all the 9ths are, the 6ths, etc. Recognize the intervals as well as the note names, because notes don't mean anything if they arn't relative to other notes.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Dec 16, 2008,
..or learn the 'shapes' and how they're constructed, so you can identify what notes are in any given scale rather than memorising them all individually...
You learn the notes a scale contains, the intervals it contains and how they differ from the major scale, the associated chords, you learn how it sounds then finally you look to see where you can find the notes of that scale on your guitar. From there onwards look for examples of the scale in use so you yourself can see when and how you can make use of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com