Page 1 of 2
Okay so last night to celebrate my birthday my friends came over and of course we got a little drunk. Well, one of them was stumbling around and tripped into my brand new amp. Somehow, he snapped off the little ball-ish part of my amp cord inside the input jack and it's stuck there now. I can't figure out how I can get it out and I wanna try everything I can before I actually take it to a shop or something so what do you suggest? I have a Fender FM 65R and it has 2 input jacks so I can still play, but I'd really like to get this fixed because I'm sure it can't be good for the amp. So any suggestions please? Thanks.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
just take it apart it's not that hard.

i have problems with my inputs all the time.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Just a suggestion, but it might be beneficial to post pictures of the amp and the problem.

I guess I just don't know what you mean by "the little ball-ish part of my amp cord"
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by Malakian88
So there's a piece of metal stuck in a hole.

Powerful magnet anyone?

sounds like a good idea but the magnet might mess with the electronics in the amp.

maybe a really thin stick with very little glue or other sticky substance on the end?
My Arsenal.
'85 B.C. Rich Virgin
Line 6 spider 3 75w
Silver sharpie.
Pocket knife.
how bouts some needle nose pliers, roach clips, small screwdriver. or you could simply remove the nut holdint the input onto the face of the amp and push the jack out with your finger.
if you've got some sort of syringe mechanism, like a tube that can make a seal over the jack and a plunger that you can pull out quickly to make a vacuum, you might be able to suck it out with a sharp force. It'd be like sucking it out with your mouth over the jack (which may work, as i've never tested out tightly a broken pin would stick in that hole). You can always take a piece of chewing gum, stuff it in there and hope it sticks a bit to the pin, and then pull on it quick enough to pull the pin out a bit before the gum loses its stick to it.
do you really want spit and sugar residue left in the input of your amp? and to create a vacuum the other end of the plug must be sealed.
My problem with uploading pictures is that I'm on dial up since I'm home for Christmas from college >.<

But I cant push the jack out because it's just a solid top part that requires me basically taking the whole amp apart just to do that.

And on my cord, if you look at the end of your cords, what you plug into the guitar/amp, theres somewhat of a ballish end. I think that's what it looks like anyways. It's round, but then pointed at the end. I'm pretty sure all amp cords are this way. But it's snapped perfectly and it's really smooth so there's nothing to grab onto.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by bigwilly
Just a suggestion, but it might be beneficial to post pictures of the amp and the problem.

I guess I just don't know what you mean by "the little ball-ish part of my amp cord"

It's the top of the plug

EDIT :
But the amp upside down.. jack pointed down...
and shake it like hell
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Last edited by IKnowItsWrong at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by jymellis
do you really want spit and sugar residue left in the input of your amp? and to create a vacuum the other end of the plug must be sealed.

oh give me a break, a tiny bit of sugary residue is nothing. Besides, it can't be any more harmful than all the dust that is bound to collect on your amp.

and the suction thing was kind of a hit or miss thing, i figured it would be feasible if the sucking action was quick enough and powerful enough to have an impact regardless of the pin not making a perfect seal.
Most jacks have a small nut holding them flush with the surface. undo that and the jack should come out. (be gentle, there may not be any slack.) Otherwise unplug the amp and leave it for a day, then open it up and get the piece out from the back.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
oh give me a break, a tiny bit of sugary residue is nothing. Besides, it can't be any more harmful than all the dust that is bound to collect on your amp.

really, sugary spit wont corrode a metal input? new one to me. plus a 2 dollar can of keyboard duster will remove dust. it wont remove nasty, sugary, spit.
Kill the friend, take the amp to an amp doctor!
  • Ibanez Soundgear
  • Cort SJB-3 Acoustic
  • Epiphone Goth X-Treme
  • DigiTech BP50
  • Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus LTD
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • Cort Evl-K6
  • DigiTech RP80

Cort Guitar Owner's Club 2nd member.
a magnet wont work the "ball thing" doesnt attract to magnets.

i had the same problem except i got it stuck in the headphone hole...i tried the magnet thing but it didnt work. i gave up haha
that happened to me before, nothing worked so i had to take the amp apart to get that ball-ish thing out. It worked... i've got a marshall Mg100dfx
Quote by IKnowItsWrong

EDIT :
and shake it like hell

That can actually work?
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
Quote by jymellis
really, sugary spit wont corrode a metal input? new one to me. plus a 2 dollar can of keyboard duster will remove dust. it wont remove nasty, sugary, spit.

well if it's that damned dangerous, he could just SWAB THE INPUT OUT WITH A Q-TIP WHEN HE'S DONE! get some common sense, man.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
well if it's that damned dangerous, he could just SWAB THE INPUT OUT WITH A Q-TIP WHEN HE'S DONE! get some common sense, man.

me get common sense? you suggested puting an object (gum) saturated with liquid (spit) into a piece of electrical equipment. now if this dude had put gum into his input and the gum got stuck he would have even more of a mess than before.
Quote by jymellis
me get common sense? you suggested puting an object (gum) saturated with liquid (spit) into a piece of electrical equipment. now if this dude had put gum into his input and the gum got stuck he would have even more of a mess than before.

by 'get some common sense,' i didn't mean 'continue to be completely unreasonable and keep arguing semantics.'

it's not shoving some thin strand of gum up in the input jack in a risky attempt to fish out the tip of his cable pin, he's taking a piece of DRY gum that's been chewed until the sugar is almost completely gone, and simply pressing the wad of it against the front of the jack, and pulling sharply. There's ZERO chance of the gum getting stuck in the input jack, seeing as the pin is blocking it. he's not shoving a big wad of spit covered gum in it, as that wouldn't even stick to the pin. Now i'm perfectly willing to continue arguing, but i'd rather we simply agreed to stop fighting for no reason whatsoever. I don't know why you're so intent on continuing this, but it's not making you come off as very pleasant.
Get one of those small magnets on a rod...

If it doesn't stick to that, go to a computer store and find one of those pen type looking things that opens a small claw when you press the button at the back.

and if that fails you can go to the store, get a pack of gum, then find a stick in your back yard....I think you know where I'm going with that LOL

This is the kit I use and it has that claw thing
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=683655
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 16, 2008,
What if you use a power drill with a really small drill bit? Just be gentle and careful. Once the drill bit bites in the piece a little you can just pull it out. You would have to be careful but I think it could be done.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
by 'get some common sense,' i didn't mean 'continue to be completely unreasonable and keep arguing semantics.'

it's not shoving some thin strand of gum up in the input jack in a risky attempt to fish out the tip of his cable pin, he's taking a piece of DRY gum that's been chewed until the sugar is almost completely gone, and simply pressing the wad of it against the front of the jack, and pulling sharply. There's ZERO chance of the gum getting stuck in the input jack, seeing as the pin is blocking it. he's not shoving a big wad of spit covered gum in it, as that wouldn't even stick to the pin. Now i'm perfectly willing to continue arguing, but i'd rather we simply agreed to stop fighting for no reason whatsoever. I don't know why you're so intent on continuing this, but it's not making you come off as very pleasant.

you must be too busy defending your horrible ideas of gum insertion to read the thread. its the TIP of the plug. meaning it is all the way into the input jack. go stick gum in your own amp man. i can keep going on why sticking a piece of gum into an input of an amp is a horrible idea but if i have to explain it to you its not worth my time.
Quote by ajricketts
What if you use a power drill with a really small drill bit? Just be gentle and careful. Once the drill bit bites in the piece a little you can just pull it out. You would have to be careful but I think it could be done.

now thats a good idea!!
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
and shake it like hell

Yeah, make sure it's a tube amp though, works wonders for your tone!

Edit:
Quote by jymellis
go stick gum in your own amp man.

Somebody get this guy a glass of milk
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by jymellis
you must be too busy defending your horrible ideas of gum insertion to read the thread. its the TIP of the plug. meaning it is all the way into the input jack. go stick gum in your own amp man. i can keep going on why sticking a piece of gum into an input of an amp is a horrible idea but if i have to explain it to you its not worth my time.

well that completely changes the argument. I assumed the tip of the plug must be near the front of the jack, because if the cable was plugged into the amp far enough for the tip to be near the back, the tip wouldn't have taken any of the stress from the friend tripping over the cable. I don't even see how the pin could break off at the tip if it was fully plugged in. Care to shed some light on how that would work?
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
well that completely changes the argument. I assumed the tip of the plug must be near the front of the jack, because if the cable was plugged into the amp far enough for the tip to be near the back, the tip wouldn't have taken any of the stress from the friend tripping over the cable. I don't even see how the pin could break off at the tip if it was fully plugged in. Care to shed some light on how that would work?

I doubt he's lying. Just because it isn't as likely as what you want to have happened doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
RULE BRITANNIA
the tip has the smallest diameter . i have yet to break a plug off in an amp but i have seen weirder things lol.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I doubt he's lying. Just because it isn't as likely as what you want to have happened doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

well he never specified exactly how far into the jack the tip was stuck. i'm not arguing against the word of the TS, i'm arguing over the physics of the situation.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Yeah, make sure it's a tube amp though, works wonders for your tone!

Edit:

Somebody get this guy a glass of milk

with coffee and sugar if ya dont mind
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
well he never specified exactly how far into the jack the tip was stuck. i'm not arguing against the word of the TS, i'm arguing over the physics of the situation.

Quote by offspring_punk
My problem with uploading pictures is that I'm on dial up since I'm home for Christmas from college >.<

But I cant push the jack out because it's just a solid top part that requires me basically taking the whole amp apart just to do that.

And on my cord, if you look at the end of your cords, what you plug into the guitar/amp, theres somewhat of a ballish end. I think that's what it looks like anyways. It's round, but then pointed at the end. I'm pretty sure all amp cords are this way. But it's snapped perfectly and it's really smooth so there's nothing to grab onto.

actually he did specify how far into it.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

I very much doubt he knows the physics behind why it happened so there's no point asking. Not saying I do either but I'd assume it's hardly a physical impossibility.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I very much doubt he knows the physics behind why it happened so there's no point asking. Not saying I do either but I'd assume it's hardly a physical impossibility.

hmm... i need to go conduct some tests.
Get a REEEEEALLY thin dowel, add a touch (not a drop, not a drip, not even a smidge) of crazy glue, CAREFULLY stick it down the jack (without it touching the sides) touch the end of the pin, and SLOWLY pull it out.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by jymellis
actually he did specify how far into it.

where in that post does it specify how far into the jack the tip is stuck? I can't seem to locate it.
It's called a pliers. Also beat that stupid Fvck.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
where in that post does it specify how far into the jack the tip is stuck? I can't seem to locate it.

hold on, i have something stuck in my amp and a mouthful of big league chew
Quote by jymellis
hold on, i have something stuck in my amp and a mouthful of big league chew

If that's a brand of chuddy, then get this guy another glass of milk
RULE BRITANNIA
Page 1 of 2