Poll: What mode do I go to?
Poll Options
View poll results: What mode do I go to?
D Mixolydian
1 33%
G Mixolydian
2 67%
Voters: 3.
Just wrote a verse to a song in D Dorian and i want to change to the Mixolydian mode for a happier chorus but do I go to G Mixolydian or D Mixolydian?

Or am I completely wrong?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Last edited by Conca at Dec 16, 2008,
I think it should be D Mixolydian. Make up a lick of say 6 notes of D Dorian, and then play a D Mixolydian lick after that. Then play the same D Dorian lick but this time followed by a G Mixolydian lick.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
I think it should be D Mixolydian. Make up a lick of say 6 notes of D Dorian, and then play a D Mixolydian lick after that. Then play the same D Dorian lick but this time followed by a G Mixolydian lick.

do you mean so i can tell which one goes better?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by AmplifySilence
Are you changing the whole song?

I dont get what you want to do.

what i want to do is change the mode to mixolydian just how you can change a song from say a minor to c major

aaaah i've just realised you can change from C major (ionian) to A minor (aeolian) so you must have to change it from D dorian to g mixolydian sorry bout that it should be g mixolydian
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Okay... To me D sounded better but thats in my ears. Maybe you wanted something else but me. Glad you made it work though. If you remember it, PM me when the song is finished!
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
Okay... To me D sounded better but thats in my ears. Maybe you wanted something else but me. Glad you made it work though. If you remember it, PM me when the song is finished!

you may be right cuz i aint tried it on my guitar but i just thought it might be g mixolydian and i will pm you when the song is finished thanks mate
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
Just wrote a verse to a song in D Dorian and i want to change to the Mixolydian mode for a happier chorus but do I go to G Mixolydian or D Mixolydian?

Or am I completely wrong?

Which ever one sounds better. Use theory to understand music.... not to write it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Conca
what i want to do is change the mode to mixolydian just how you can change a song from say a minor to c major

aaaah i've just realised you can change from C major (ionian) to A minor (aeolian) so you must have to change it from D dorian to g mixolydian sorry bout that it should be g mixolydian

No, you can't - if your chord progression hasn't changed then all the relative scales will just be C major...if your initial passage is indeed in D dorian then G mixolydian doesn't exist, those notes are still D Dorian. We need to know the chords you're playing over to help you with this, however if everything else fits then you would be looking to use D mixolydian.

However, like Munky said you shouldn't really be looking at things so closely. Rather you should simply come up with something that sounds good and then see how it fits theorywise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GuitarMunky
Which ever one sounds better. Use theory to understand music.... not to write it.

listen to the Munky
Quote by Conca

C major can just be changed to C minor or any other key you want.

I agree with Munky and Steven, whichever, you think sounds better.
I'd remove your poll though TS on account of it being pointless - you can't actually change to G mixolydian unless you change the chords, it's EXACTY the same as what you're already playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
you can't actually change to G mixolydian unless you change the chords, it's EXACTY the same as what you're already playing.

i know that i was changing the chords

but if i was to change from d dorian to d mixolydian what chords would i use?

my chord progression for the d dorian bit is simply Dm, G

what chrds would i use for d mixolydian because wouldnt the Dm change to Dmaj and wouldnt that sound weird.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
TS = thread starter. i.e. the person who started the thread and asked the original question. In this case - YOU.

I think if you're doing this purely as an exercise in modulation then fine.

All you need to do is set out some Dorian passages and Mixolydian passages and shift between the two. Try shifting from D Dorian to the relative Mixolydian mode G Mixo. Then try shifting from the D Dorian to the parallel Mixo mode D mixolydian.

Try switching directly, just jumping straight in to the new mode. Try using a pivot chord (a chord common to both modes). Or use some kind of voice leading lick to introduce the Major third of the Mixolydian mode and link your ideas together.

For further study try to find some songs that do this and examine how they switch. Try to look for chords that lead into the new mode or whether they jump straight in. Are there any bridging sections etc. One that springs immediately to mind because it was discussed in a recent thread is Norwegian Wood by the Beatles. It shifts from D mixolydian to D dorian and back again. The D mixolydian part is over a D chord the entire time. The Dorian part uses Dm G Dm E A7 (the A7 is a kind of pivot chord to lead back into the D mixolydian.

Also study modulation and practice tonal modulation. That is modulation between Major and relative minor or between more distant keys. - Please be wary of the "Trucker's Gear Change" (this is a cheap trick to raise tension which basically sees the same lick/progresion moved up a semitone.) It works but it's kind of uninspired. If you do use it - make it awesome.

Remember you should try it all even the trucker's gear change. It doesn't matter how it sounds it's just an exercise to study modulation. If something sticks and you are inspired to write a song from one of the ideas you come up with - great!!

If you're asking because you are actually trying to write a song that moves from Dorian to Mixolydian then read and reread GuitarMunkey's post.
Si