Still undecided on what acoustic electric to get. I know this much: I want the electronics built in and I want a cutaway. And my budget is still around $300.

So my main question will help me decide. Say a $300 non-solid top guitar plays and feels better than a $300 solid top guitar. What would you do? Chose solid top or playability???
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
an electronics package in a $300 guitar is going to seriously impact the quality of the guitar. You can get very nice pure acoustics for that price though.

As far as your question, it all depends on just how bad the laminate top guitar sounds, and how good the solid one does. There are some laminate guitars that sound quite good.
There are Ovations for about that price. If you dont know Ovation, then screw you.
Btw I think its gonna be REALLY hard to find an acou-electric which plays better then a 300$ solidtop!
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
I have a Dean Performer E series acou/elec, and though I don't play it all that much (I'm more into my electrics) it was just about $300 a year or two ago and I would give it a 7/10 rating.

As you're hearing its gonna be tough to get a a "great" product at that price. I was looking for something to "get the job done" and that is what it is.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by Drakathan
There are Ovations for about that price. If you dont know Ovation, then screw you.
Btw I think its gonna be REALLY hard to find an acou-electric which plays better then a 300$ solidtop!

I've played a couple of ovations but I've also read some bad reviews on them.

I'm considering the Fender CD140SCE but I read that the action is kind of high on it. Won't know until I play them however.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
At home alone, you are going to be more likely to pick up a guitar that feels better. So, if you are mostly going to be playing at home alone, pick the guitar that plays easier. If you are playing in front of a couple people or more on a regular basis, you will want the nicer tone that is usually the case with solid tops.
Quote by sabbathu
Still undecided on what acoustic electric to get. I know this much: I want the electronics built in and I want a cutaway. And my budget is still around $300.

So my main question will help me decide. Say a $300 non-solid top guitar plays and feels better than a $300 solid top guitar. What would you do? Chose solid top or playability???

It's best not to sacrifice either. Would you consider buying used?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by tlt31
At home alone, you are going to be more likely to pick up a guitar that feels better. So, if you are mostly going to be playing at home alone, pick the guitar that plays easier. If you are playing in front of a couple people or more on a regular basis, you will want the nicer tone that is usually the case with solid tops.

I'll be playing it 90% at home and for song writing.

When I gig, it will be for maybe 1 or 2 songs. I'm in a hard/nu metal type band, so even then it will be for brief moments.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by Blaster Bob
Then why do you need an electronics suite?

I guess I thought I would be convenient to plug in through a PA or one of my other amps (solo coffeehouse gigs).

For band club gigs, I was planning on rigging it up to one of those guitar stands where I can hold my electric to the side and play in the acoustic.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by jimtaka
is your band already actively gigging?

Yes. We rehearse in a garage with an option to mic just about everything up, so micing the acoustic is an option. I just though going straight to a pa or amp was more convenient.

Most of our gigs ar small bars to medium clubs (los angeles), carnivals, festivals, and some indoor/outdoor house parties. Usually, there is a PA but not all the time.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Alavarez makes a decent Acoustic/ Electric for that price.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
The only sacrifice you need to make is to wait until you have the money to afford the instrument you really want. Don't cut corners now, or you'll regret it later. Expanding your price range by another $150 or so will open it up to many more (and better) options.

If that isn't an option, go with the guitar that sounds right. Below $300, real wood is only marginally better than laminate. Get the one that sounds and plays well.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 17, 2008,
Buy the solid top guitar and have it set up for 50.00. It will play better than the non solid top guitar you spoke of and will get better with age!
Quote by jrubakon
Buy the solid top guitar and have it set up for 50.00. It will play better than the non solid top guitar you spoke of and will get better with age!

Actually, I just brought home an Epiphone AJ200SCE. Its a solid top, with Esonic electronics. I played it alongside a Takamine solid top back and forth. The Takamine was $450 and the Epi was $269 (got a great deal). It plays great and sounds awesome.

Pics later.

Thanks everyone.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
I've played a couple of ovations but I've also read some bad reviews on them.

I'm considering the Fender CD140SCE but I read that the action is kind of high on it. Won't know until I play them however.

I love my CD140SCE and you heard right the action is quite high straight out of the store. 30 seconds and some fine sand paper on the saddle fixed that problem right up, now the action fine, great in fact.