Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, need a good distortion pedal to use with a Crate V18, no more than 120$(US), i play rock, metal and a bit of blues.

Thanks in advance.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Go boss for a modern tone.. maybe an MD-2.. if your after something a little more 70's maybe a big muff?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
Go boss for a modern tone.. maybe an MD-2.. if your after something a little more 70's maybe a big muff?

Would the boss be suitable for death metal and heavy stuff like that?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Death metal aye, you should be looking at the Metal Core/Metal Zone, maybe a little out of your price range but they're worth it
My Gear

Quote by xander307
Death metal aye, you should be looking at the Metal Core/Metal Zone, maybe a little out of your price range but they're worth it

They reliable, like do they drain the batteries really fast and do they break easily?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Well they definatly dont break easily, they have a tough metal structure, the 9V battery will last a while but most people use the power adapter provided, i wouldnt depend on a battery if i was gigging
My Gear

Ok, and what's the difference between the metalcore and metalzone?
Is the metal muff any good?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
The Metal Core is for modern metal and hardcore whereas the metal zone is built to cover all aspects of metal, the metal core will probably be more suited to death metal, you should try both though

Edit: i've not tried an electroharmonix pedal, but they're widely used so you should give one a go
My Gear

The metalzone sounds really digital and fizzy. I would get an overdrive if I were you.
Yeah I own the metalzone and it sounds digital and terrible. I would recommend the metal muff
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Ok, yea but thing is that I'm ordering this from MF and i can't try any of them out. So i wanna be sure before i order.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Alright, id say metal core or metal muff
My Gear

An Ibanez TS9
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
And which metal muff is good,because there a re 6 of them on MF.
Was looking at the TS9 but from the clips it didn't really sound heavy.

Quote by Raijouta
I'd look at the following:

Vox Satchurator (a bit over your budget - by 10 bux)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2
Digitech Hardwire CM-2
AMT Du Hast

I have a digitech pedal and i'm trying to stay away from them but if they're good then i guess i can try them out.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Last edited by misfitsweare138 at Dec 16, 2008,
I'd look at the following:

Vox Satchurator (a bit over your budget - by 10 bux)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2
Digitech Hardwire CM-2
AMT Du Hast
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well after looking at reviews I think I'm gonna go with the Metal Muff with top boost
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
hey this is crazy i was just going to ask the same question i have the same exact amp as misfits and my ds-1 sounds like **** on it, im wondering if maybe the digitech hardwire valve distortion is a good pedal or should i just stick with boss, the hardwire looks promising though.
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
get the TS9 and use it to boost your amp's distortion. this will sound 10x better than getting a piece of crap like a metalzone
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have a V18 also.

My advice dont listen to guys recomending the BOSS pedals.

Or any guy recomendding a boss pedal for metal for that matter.

The metal muff is damn good tough youll love it.

Anywho since i own a similar amp i think ill put my two cents.

You really dont need a distortion pedal, if anything youll just get loads of feedback with this little bugger.

I say do what some of the other posters have suggested and get a overdrive pedal.

I got the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive and trust me with this overdrive or something similar I dont think youll need a distortion pedal.
It will give you all the gain you want and sound way bomb over a distortion if you ask me.

Who ever says digitech is bad or crap, ill tell you this, they havent tried a hardwire pedal.

Also none of the Boss single effects OD and DS are digital they just naturally sound like crap.

Plus and overdrive will do tons more to help your tone in gennerral than a distortion especially with the V18.

This is the main reason you should get an OD rather than a Distortion pedal.

Trust me on this one your money is better spent on an OD.

IM not bagging on the metal muff witch is a great pedal.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 16, 2008,
Metal Muff is a great pedal, give it a go
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
^like i said its a great pedal, but and OD will be much more usefull in making the amps tone better overall and still getting stupid amounts of gain and be loads more versatile.

Plus the EXH metal muff can only do balls to walls DS to balls to the walls DS.

Theres not really an in between, altough it does sound good this is one of its major flaws theres not really a good range of distortions it can deliver.
How much is the hardwire CM-2?
The main reason i'm looking for a distortion pedal is for when I have to switch between clean and dist. and also for death metal, and for blues i'll just use the amps dist. channel.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Last edited by misfitsweare138 at Dec 16, 2008,
people say you can pretty much get any kind of distortion with metal muff so could u get more of a punk rock distortion with it, if possible. i like to play all kinds of music this is starting to look and sound like the distortion pedal of all distortion pedals.
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Well thanks for the advice guys, gonna go with the metal muff. Thanks again.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
I definately say go with the metal muff. The boss pedals have an odd digital sound and the metal muff is alot sturdier.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
Quote by petey gunnz
hey this is crazy i was just going to ask the same question i have the same exact amp as misfits and my ds-1 sounds like **** on it, im wondering if maybe the digitech hardwire valve distortion is a good pedal or should i just stick with boss, the hardwire looks promising though.

do you use the DS-1 as a boost? it works really well for that with some amps - i think joe satriani does it. but into the clean channel as your main source of distortion the DS-1 is an absolute POS - i suspect that you are using it like that.
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
Please don't get a boss pedal.

brand bashing is for idiots.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quick question, why don't people seem to like boss pedals?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
The distortion sounds very digital both in the ds-1 and metal zone. Some of the other pedals are alright.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by misfitsweare138
Quick question, why don't people seem to like boss pedals?

it's a bandwagon of people who used boss pedals through crap gear and wondered why it didn't make their crap tone better, and people who never tried it just repeating what the people with crap gear said because it's cool to hate things.

Quote by Led man32
The distortion sounds very digital both in the ds-1 and metal zone. Some of the other pedals are alright.

no, they sound sterile and thin, which doesn't mean 'digital'. (sorry, it's just a pet peeve)

the DS-1 also has incredible boost potential so i wish people would stop bashing it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
it's a bandwagon of people who used boss pedals through crap gear and wondered why it didn't make their crap tone better, and people who never tried it just repeating what the people with crap gear said because it's cool to hate things.

no, they sound sterile and thin, which doesn't mean 'digital'. (sorry, it's just a pet peeve)

the DS-1 also has incredible boost potential so i wish people would stop bashing it.

Well thank you for the correction....

But the description is completely a matter of opinion. I think the metal zone is not thin at all but it just sounds like a ton of digitized fuzz.
Quote by Blompcube

Ah, thanks.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Page 1 of 2