I want to know your honest opinions, UG, on the seemingly failing state of anything even resembling a decent vocalist in today's uber-pop music genre; look no further than Kanye West's new chart-topping "success" for proof of this. My question is, what do you think of these "auto-tuned" vocals - you know what I'm talking about. It sounds like the lovechild of R2D2 and a post-pubescent Alvin the Chipmunk on record. Personally, this quite annoys me as I feel like they have somehow managed to rip apart another important aspect of musicianship - that is, being physically talented - in the interest of selling records.

Well, this is turning into more of a rant than anything, so I'll open the floor to my fellow UG'ers. And please, although I hate Kanye West as much as the next guy, no gratuitous flaming (allowed without justification at least).
I don't get it... what d'you mean "auto-tuned" vocals?
Studio magic?

Jedit: Btw, it's spelt "Saiyan".
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
It sounds a tad plastic, Id pick an underproduced record over a gleaming perfect one any day..

I like kanye though. I think it has a place in pop music.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Last edited by Fiddelers elbow at Dec 16, 2008,
avenged sevenfold use them on "lost". it sounds pretty good, but only on that one song.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
It sounds a tad plastic, Id pick an underproduced record over a gleaming perfect one any day..

I like kanye though. I think it has a palce in pop music.

With his pay, definitely.

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
With his pay, definitely.

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

You dont get out much do you?
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Well auto-tuned vocals are hard to explain, but you can definitely pick them out when you know what they are. Basically, studio magic. Much of the same studio magic that suddenly made everyone believe that Li'l Wayne can play guitar.

And on an unrelated matter: I know its supposed to be "supersaiyan2gohan" but apparently you can only fit so many characters inside one username
I dislike it most of the time. Unless, when an artist is in the studio, he or she catches a cold and can't sing as high or as low as they normally could. In that case, it's useful.
It's fine in moderation.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
I don't mind auto-tuned vocals on record. Remember, you need to be a decent singer anyway in order to use one properly- all it does is iron out the mistakes. I like albums to be well produced. Live is a different story- I prefer nuances and the odd mistake. Makes live shows that more exciting.
Well Kanye West admitted to using auto-tune for a synthetic, robotic feel and to be honest he succeeds in that regard. He didn't try to "hide" it so a bit unfair to pick on someone who's actually experimenting in music. It does bug me in a lot of songs though, but those artists don't admit to it. They just freakin' talk into a microphone and then a computer puts it to a note (mainly dance music, or *ahem* High School Musical).
I don't listen to pop music so I can't say I've really heard them.
sig goes here
Quote by jammyninja
Well Kanye West admitted to using auto-tune for a synthetic, robotic feel and to be honest he succeeds in that regard. He didn't try to "hide" it so a bit unfair to pick on someone who's actually experimenting in music. It does bug me in a lot of songs though, but those artists don't admit to it. They just freakin' talk into a microphone and then a computer puts it to a note (mainly dance music, or *ahem* High School Musical).

lol, well a good point here, but does anyone feel that somehow a vocalist is "cheating" by doing something like using a machine to make his voice hit notes or registers that he/she couldn't otherwise reach? Also, it takes training just to get an ear for pitch, and to hold vocal notes that are even within a person's comfort range, etc. I mean, what if Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, or Cedric Bixler used some auto-tune program? You have to at least admit that the music would be substantially different... and by different, I mean worse
ive seen kanye west live, and no matter what anyone thinks he is an amazing performer.
i personally quite like his new album, and i think that the use of the autotune is just like we guitarists using a wah pedal or a chorus, its just an effect really.
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by crackerpleaz
Do you mean auto-tune like this? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=395152715
If that's what you're talking about, I can't stand it. It's so overused.

Ha, yes that's a perfect example of ridiculously saturated auto-tuning. Probably the guitar equivalent of using some super-synthetic uber-digital-distortion in a death metal song
Quote by kaptink
you use guitar effects don't you?

They have guitar effects that fix the key your in?...wow
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by supersaianGohan
does anyone feel that somehow a vocalist is "cheating" by doing something like using a machine to make his voice hit notes or registers that he/she couldn't otherwise reach?

If they're passing it off as their own talent, yes, it is wrong. Especially if they're in the spotlight instead of an actually talented singer. But if it's used as an effect, it's not really cheating any more than using a Digitech whammy to make car alarm noises way beyond a guitar's register(RATM ). None of the guys in Muse can actually make themselves like a robot with a vocoder but it's obvious and goes with the song so doesn't matter too much. Same with some dance music unfortunately (still doesn't mean I have to like it).

Quote by supersaianGohan
what if Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, or Cedric Bixler used some auto-tune program? You have to at least admit that the music would be substantially different... and by different, I mean worse

Well the songs would be different and probably wouldn't be loved so much. And you'd hope that Freddie, Robert and Cedric (ya got me, not sure who he is) would make the decision to sing it themselves. And you could say that Led Zeppelin's music is worse for having to tune down a half step for their reunion but we'll leave that out for the moment...

Edit: So many and's in that last bit...apologies.
Given the rise of shows like the X Factor and American Idol, I'd say there's more emphasis on vocal talent than there used to be, evidenced by some of today's better singers. For example, Amy Winehouse is famous despite not being attractive or likeable, simply because she has a great voice. And if you want to see good vocal work in rock music, look no further than, say, Muse or even Fall Out Boy (you don't have to be a fan to begrudgingly admit that he's a good singer).
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
You don't get out much do you?

No.

And fixed.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I have quite a few tracks with really auto-tuned vocals. I listen to a lot of music that uses it- Kanye, T-Pain, Chris Brown, Akon.. I think it sounds great.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by supersaianGohan
I want to know your honest opinions, UG, on the seemingly failing state of anything even resembling a decent vocalist in today's uber-pop music genre; look no further than Kanye West's new chart-topping "success" for proof of this. My question is, what do you think of these "auto-tuned" vocals - you know what I'm talking about. It sounds like the lovechild of R2D2 and a post-pubescent Alvin the Chipmunk on record. Personally, this quite annoys me as I feel like they have somehow managed to rip apart another important aspect of musicianship - that is, being physically talented - in the interest of selling records.

Well, this is turning into more of a rant than anything, so I'll open the floor to my fellow UG'ers. And please, although I hate Kanye West as much as the next guy, no gratuitous flaming (allowed without justification at least).

autotune does not sound like that at all, at the most there's some flanging on sustained notes where the pitch changes, unless there's additional flanging, but it doesn't make your pitch go higher, so the alvin and the chipmunks reference is complete bs
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I don't get it... what d'you mean "auto-tuned" vocals?
Studio magic?

Jedit: Btw, it's spelt "Saiyan".

Studio-magic is fine for movies and creating stuff like the voice of Darth Vader for Star Wars, but for music I want real singing, not computer generated voices.
One word: Cynic
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Kanye had a good idea to use it to death on an album. I'm not really a fan, but I know a ton of country stars have admitted to using it live in concerts.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
My thought process is this:

Some of us just can't sing perfectly. If the song is good, I think giving the person who wrote it a little assistance to make their song sound right. So, in essence, I'm for fixing minor mistakes with light pitch-correction.

Using it as an effect I am against in most cases, because the lines continually become more blurred between using it as an effect and using it to fix vocals. More and more songs I hear lately have regular sounding voices, then on a few random notes you can notice the correction. This is just complete laziness in the record-making process. It seems like the record execs have decided that everyone is using the auto-tune effect, so if anyone notices a stray note we'll just call it an effect. It really isn't that hard just to automate the plug-in to skip that note or treat it differently.
Auto tune can be awesome if you use it in moderation, like people have said. It's great when you just need to do small, light changes. Like if a singer has an amazing take, but there were a few notes a little flat and stand out in a negative way, you can keep the great take, and just fix up the tiny sections to make them fit better. In the case of a LOT of pop music nowadays, it's just hiding the fact that people can't sing, and in that case it's really just degrading to people who can actually sing, and basically cheats everyone.

And as for the whole T-Pain, Kanye, rap in general robotic voice, it is absolutely ridiculous. It's wayyyyy too overdone and annoying now, and ruins the beginning instances of it when it first was new and interesting.
Quote by poopsmith666
One word: Cynic

That was a vocal synthesiser, not the auto-tune thing everyone in here is talking about.

I like the autotune vocal thing. When it's good its great, and when it's crap it's absolutely horrendous (eg. the myspace someone posted in this thread).

People have to figure out when to use it. All the way through a song is fine, but if you just use it for the verse or the chorus it tends to stay below the annoyance factor.

I agree with the people saying it's similar to an effects pedal for a guitar. I like it.

I'd say a good example would be One More Time by Daft Punk.