Poll Options
View poll results: Still Wannabes?
Yes
30 28%
No because you play the whole song?
76 72%
Voters: 106.
Page 1 of 2
So, for my band (we're Cover/Original because most of the venues around here only let you play covers, but if you have a lotta covers some of them will let you play originals too) each member gets 2 covers, the bassist wants to do Sweet Child O' Mine, but I don't want people to think we're like wannabe's and stuff, but then I also thought most people think there wannabe's cuz they play the intro riff only.

Then, we're doing the whole song, so would people still think we're wannabes?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Who cares?
It's a great song. And I've covered it loads of times. Why should you not play songs that you enjoy because of what people might think?
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
You do the whole song?

Then you've answered your own question.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Well I don't really care, I just don't want people to think we're lame just cuz we cover a certain song.

And it is a great song I'm not arguing, Slash and the rest of the band are amazing.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
Well I don't really care, I just don't want people to think we're lame just cuz we cover a certain song.

And it is a great song I'm not arguing, Slash and the rest of the band are amazing.

Well cover it.
You shouldn't give a shit what people think.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Well cover it.
You shouldn't give a shit what people think.

Alrite kickass.

I need a wah wah for the outro solo.
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
Alrite kickass.

I need a wah wah for the outro solo.

Naw the outro solo doesn't use a wah-wah.
The second part of the main solo does however.

My VOX amp has an auto-wah so I just used that.
Carmel is hawt
Play it. The only person out there who could say you're wannabe's is Slash himself. And if Slash shows up at your concert, then you know you're badass.
Quote by irishstang_87
Play it. The only person out there who could say you're wannabe's is Slash himself. And if Slash shows up at your concert, then you know you're badass.

Not really.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Naw the outro solo doesn't use a wah-wah.
The second part of the main solo does however.

My VOX amp has an auto-wah so I just used that.

Oh well I meant that as part of the outro solo and the main solo ends after the gliss. But anyway, if it doesn't need a wah how do I get it to do the wah sound when it says where do we go? And I got a Marshall half stack so it doesn't have a wah

Quote by irishstang_87

I doubt Slash would wanna go to Missouri... I mean, who does?
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
Oh well I meant that as part of the outro solo and the main solo ends after the gliss. But anyway, if it doesn't need a wah how do I get it to do the wah sound when it says where do we go? And I got a Marshall half stack so it doesn't have a wah

The actual solo for the 'where do we go' part doesn't need a wah.
Just get a VOX wah wah or a Morley Bad Horsie if you can afford one. If not, see if you can borrow some gear of somewhere.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
The actual solo for the 'where do we go' part doesn't need a wah.
Just get a VOX wah wah or a Morley Bad Horsie if you can afford one. If not, see if you can borrow some gear of somewhere.

Oh well if it doesn't need a wah why's it say wah? lol
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by imdeth
Play it. It's a great song! Actually, play Paradise City! I prefer it to Child O' Mine.

That's an awesome song! I'm thinking of coverin' that too.

And Freebird. For my leaver's concert I HAVE to do Freebird.
Quote by Corruption
Oh well if it doesn't need a wah why's it say wah? lol

You only need a wah from 3.21 to the 'where do we go now'. The rest is played wah-less.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by imdeth
Play it. It's a great song! Actually, play Paradise City! I prefer it to Child O' Mine.

I can play pretty much all of Appetite for Destruction but its not up to me its up to the bassist.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

What's a leavers concert?
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Last edited by Corruption at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by irishstang_87

or he heard somewhere you have a bunch of free crack and heroin
Quote by jymellis
or he heard somewhere you have a bunch of free crack and heroin

What?
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
I can play pretty much all of Appetite for Destruction but its not up to me its up to the bassist.

What's a leavers concert?

My school. Year 11 leavers' concert.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
My school. Year 11 leavers' concert.

Oh awesome. Next year in highschool I'm thinkin' bout auditioning with my band to be one of the 2 bands to play at Half Time/Pre-game at the games!
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
if you play only covers then you are pretty much wannabes anyway? what is the difference between a bedroom cover and yours on stage?
Quote by Corruption
Oh awesome. Next year in highschool I'm thinkin' bout auditioning with my band to be one of the 2 bands to play at Half Time/Pre-game at the games!

Nice. Funny thing is, I was actually gonna play SCoM tonight but they ran out of spaces so I couldn't.

In about an hour however, I'll be coverin' Johnny B Goode, Paranoid Android, Know Your Enemy and Messiah Will Come Again!
Carmel is hawt
Ifyou're going to play a GNR song, at least play one that hasn't been done to death. Nightrain, Mr Brownstone, Civil War, etc are all much better than Sweet Child of Mine imo.
Quote by GaijinFoot
if you play only covers then you are pretty much wannabes anyway? what is the difference between a bedroom cover and yours on stage?

Hey dumbass did you read the first post? We're a Cover/Original band...
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Nice. Funny thing is, I was actually gonna play SCoM tonight but they ran out of spaces so I couldn't.

In about an hour however, I'll be coverin' Johnny B Goode, Paranoid Android, Know Your Enemy and Messiah Will Come Again!

Kickass. On your profile do ya mean bringin' back the 80's as is in Hair Metal or just the music?

Cuz my band is hair metal too
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Spamwise
Ifyou're going to play a GNR song, at least play one that hasn't been done to death. Nightrain, Mr Brownstone, Civil War, etc are all much better than Sweet Child of Mine imo.

Well SCoM is more likely to get the crowd going because it's so famous.

Quote by Corruption
Kickass. On your profile do ya mean bringin' back the 80's as is in Hair Metal or just the music?

Cuz my band is hair metal too

Both. Generally just music back then.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I would think Nightrain would do a much better job of that. It's much faster and more energetic.
I think that people think your awesome if you play that solo.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Both. Generally just music back then.

Kickass. What even made hair metal die?

Quote by Spamwise
I would think Nightrain would do a much better job of that. It's much faster and more energetic.

Oh yeah slash said he likes that song a lot cuz it gets hm pumped up n stuff. I can play that song too but the rest of the members haven't learned. I might make it my second cover.

Quote by Farether
I think that people think your awesome if you play that solo.

I can play the song all the way through on both guitars and bass.
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Spamwise

Only GnR fans would know it though. If TS is just playin' for a random crowd they won't know the lyrics, therefore won't bother... joining in as much.

SCoM however will get everyone singing and cheering louder, encouraging the band so both sides get the max out of it.

Same thing when I covered Livin' On A Prayer ages ago. Not one of Bon Jovi's fastest songs, but hell did it get the crowd goin'.
Carmel is hawt
You're not lame for covering Sweet Child o' Mine o.-

But the thing is that Sweet child o' mine is a bit overplayed.

But sure, go for it.
DeVillains!
Quote by Corruption
Kickass. What even made hair metal die?

It killed itself. It started off okay, but it became awful and produced.

Only GnR fans would know it though. If TS is just playin' for a random crowd they won't know the lyrics, therefore won't bother... joining in as much.

Meh, I don't think that necessarily matters, unless TS isn't good at connecting with the audience. I mean, I've seen bands play songs that I don't know, but if they do a good job it is still cool.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

You only need a wah from 3.21 to the 'where do we go now'. The rest is played wah-less.

I saw a band play Freebird once, once the solo kicked in everyone was like 'whoo' but then it got to one of the bits where it repeats a bit and the guitarist did it about 4 or 5 times to many, everyone just left.

I think SCOM is one of the most cliched cover songs, but it ought to get a reaction from people at first. I personally wouldn't do it, but go ahead if you want to.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Spamwise
Meh, I don't think that necessarily matters, unless TS isn't good at connecting with the audience. I mean, I've seen bands play songs that I don't know, but if they do a good job it is still cool.

Oh well I've only played one show and it wasn't even my band I was fillin in for the rhythm guitarist who had the flu.

But they say I wasn't boring and that I was energetic, and also once we (our band) has all our covers and originals practiced and written, then we're gonna work on havin a really theatrical show like Alice Cooper
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Quote by Spamwise
It killed itself. It started off okay, but it became awful and produced.

Suppose so.

Quote by CTFOD
I saw a band play Freebird once, once the solo kicked in everyone was like 'whoo' but then it got to one of the bits where it repeats a bit and the guitarist did it about 4 or 5 times to many, everyone just left.

I think SCOM is one of the most cliched cover songs, but it ought to get a reaction from people at first. I personally wouldn't do it, but go ahead if you want to.

Funny you should say that, as tonight we're doing like a 10 minute improv solo for Johnny B Goode.
Carmel is hawt

Exactly
"Since I've been loving you" - Led Zep

Best cover song to perform ever.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Spamwise
Exactly

But the only part that repeats its self a lot in SCoM is the intro (bleh) and the chorus.

And for the intro how do you get the f*ckin tone so the A F# A on 3rd/1st/3rd doesnt give a feedbacky f*ckin annoying sound?
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Play Nightrain instead.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Page 1 of 2