at the moment i've been playing guitar for nearly 4 years and i am struggling to learn a full song i'll learn a part of a song then get stuck on a part the try learn a new song and the same thing happens over and over again. Its got to the point i can hardly play anything at all but a few little licks and scales. i have plenty of time to practice during the day so times not really a problem but every time i pick up the guitar and try learn some thing and i never do its getting really annoying at the moment makes you just want to give up playing and spend time doing something else instead which i don't wanna do. has anyone else found themselves stuck in a rut like this and how did you get out of it? should i start back at the very basics again relearning stuff i never fully mastered?
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
Lol why would you start over? if you already learned all the little techniques just practice them untill you can do it as the speed of a song. Just pick a song and set a goal lol, dont just give up on the song because the part is to hard. Learn it slow untill your fingers memorize how to play it, then work on speeding it up with a metronome. You should be pretty skilled already if youve been familiar with the guitar for 4 years, so you probably wont even need a metronome. Just keep trying..
Yes I have.

Here's what I do to get unstuck;
1) Have the song ready to play nearby- helps if you are near a computer. Those notes might not make sense unless you can hear the riff- a lot of what you hear cannot be expressed on paper, so if you are trying to mimic a sound / song, it helps to hear it.
2) See if you can watch a vid of someone playing the song. That helps you to see what the motions are to correspond with the music.

This method helped me with quite a few solos right from the beginning and I still do it now. After a while, you'll get to know them by heart.

Two questions
1) You have some GREAT gear there- if you can't play anything, why did you invest so much?
2) How do you like your valve jr? I almost bought one but bought my crate instead, but the Valve seemed cool. Very retro looking.

Good luck!
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
thanks for some of the advice think im gonna draw up a schedule with some goals on it and make a time table to stick to when i play guitar. When i said i couldnt play anything i didnt mean i was unable to play hardly anything just meant lately due to the way ive been using my practice time i've forgot most of the things ive learnt before so ive ended up not remembering songs and riffs etc but can remember the techniques if that makes sense.

about my gear i invested a lot into it as i thought some of the gear would help me progress and to help me find my sound think what i got into was a bad habit of buying gear to find my sound which id spend more time messing trying to get a good tone for a song than atcually learning the song and finding my ideal rig which i finally am happy with which is my fender tele into the boss gt10 into garageband can give me majority of the sounds i need fairly quick.

the valve junior is a nice amp great for clean sounds never really had chance to have it turned up and overdriven just used to play it clean
you have been playing for 4 years? how long have you been taking lessons?
been doing lessons 2 years now so half of the time ive been playing been taking lessons my teacher is good and has helped me a lot i learn a lot in lessons just not when i practice on my own i'll get distracted say from learning one song to learn another song instead then it'll end up with me not learning either song.
sounds like you need to find music you really want to know. tell yourself you can t eat until you figure out a song beginning to end? no going to bed till you have figured out said song all the way through. i dont know lol, try to set goals for yourself?
4 years all that gear and 2 years of lessons? Im sure you are better than you give yourself credit for.

Or perhaps not....

I say start with easy songs that have a constant looping riff for 80-90% of the song with a simple solo. That should give you confidence that you are learning stuff and can play. Once you get those easy songs down you can "play" with them and add your own embellishments which will also make you feel better about your playing.
Quote by Axe Murderer
4 years all that gear and 2 years of lessons? Im sure you are better than you give yourself credit for.

Or perhaps not....

I say start with easy songs that have a constant looping riff for 80-90% of the song with a simple solo. That should give you confidence that you are learning stuff and can play. Once you get those easy songs down you can "play" with them and add your own embellishments which will also make you feel better about your playing.

any recommendations of songs like that looping riff then an easy solo?
Quote by exitmusic
any recommendations of songs like that looping riff then an easy solo?

Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

I looked it up lastnight and learned it in about 30 minutes. Now I just need to practice it a bit more to refine it, but I know how to play it from begining to end.

The Surf classic: Wipeout. Another easy song I learned pretty quickly.

Americas: Horse with no Name

House of the Rising Sun

Dont Fear the Reaper

Nice and easy and should keep you busy for a bit and give you some songs to put under your belt.
Highway to Hell repeats an easy riff throughout the verses, has a simple chorus, and a simple solo.

That's the entire song.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Scars on Broadway - They Say

The whole song is 4 powerchords played over and over. (except for one part where it changes a little and there's one more powerchord) The "solo" (if you can even call it that) is only one note played a bunch of times. It took me a few minutes to learn.. it's really easy. (It's in drop c# but drop d is fine if u don't wanna do drop c#)
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
I second the watch a cover vid notion, its helped me alot to get the song just right
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor