I'm looking for a tone that has some distortion, but is very clear. I find it hard to get crisp distortion...it is always very heavy and muddy. I don't like it..

What pedals/ amps should I check into to get a cleaner distortion sound.. I think most people understand what I'm saying-some distortion is very muddy and grainy, and that's what I have right now. I'm wanting crisp sounds.

I have a Roland 30 cube. My guitar is a Gates Custom with Seymour Duncan invaders.

Thanks
Well the invaders don't help and the amp is crap for it too..... What kinda music do you play and what's the budget?
Quote by S.Y.N.
Well the invaders don't help and the amp is crap for it too..... What kinda music do you play and what's the budget?

I agree, you don't need a Marshall stack, but definently a better amp. As for pedals, I'd say go with a better name brand, like Boss's Metal Distortion. As for the pickups, I'd suggest a higher quality humbucker in the bridge position.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by S.Y.N.

you own 2 mgs.

the cubes distortion is kinda muddy especially on lower volumes.
whats your budget?
nonsense. invaders are badass. just mess with the eq. put less bass if it's too muddy.
A compressor may help to tighten things up, if it's used right. As for distortion pedals, I always recommend the EHX Metal Muff w/top boost.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by bertG
nonsense. invaders are badass. just mess with the eq. put less bass if it's too muddy.

Or adjust your gain setting. Most people just always have it maxed out, try turning it down half way and go from there.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Raise the mids, cut the bass frequencies, and maybe consider a pickup change down the road when you get a bass. Also consider changing the value of the pots in your guitar to 500k if they aren't already.
My budget? I don't have one =P I just want that tone...A very crisp one. I know the cube is a crappy amp, and I need to upgrade. Could anyone recomend a good amp? Or good amp pedal combo?

Thanks for all the replies though!
ive found using a bridge singlecoil is a good way to get a tight, cutting distortion. it reduces the gain and it reduces the bass. it also puts an emphasis on the highs. i dont reccomend getting a strat or something but rather just coil tap.

if you get an amp make sure that it is modern in voicing. i have found that they sound less loose at the same gain levels when compared to vintage voiced amps.
Mine is coil-tapped.

It can deliver some of the sound I'm wanting, but most lies with my amp I think.

I want the heavy sound when I'm riffing and palm muting, but when I solo I want it to scream.
I have a Crate Flexwave halfstack (shut up) and I can get a really good crisp, nice, cutting distortion out of it.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
Stratdud, I would like to keep it around $500...

How are Line 6 amps?

What I would really like would be a Bogner Uberschell head with a Bogner cabinet, but I don't have that much dough.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Stratdud, I would like to keep it around $500...

How are Line 6 amps?

What I would really like would be a Bogner Uberschell head with a Bogner cabinet, but I don't have that much dough.

the only truly amazing amp they have that i have played is a line 6 bogner spdervalve, but its 700 bucks so outta your range.
can you go used?
or save up to 600, there are reallygreat tube amps in that range, but there arent really an good ones for 400-500 except for fenders, but your not looking for that sound.
theres a peavey valveking, but i hate those things, you could try one out if you wanted.
if I were you, i would get a dimebucker in the bridge. it has a really high output, with high treble. not muddy at ALL.

EDIT: seymour duncan makes dimebuckers.
^ Dimebuckers are very muddy. If you're wanting to down that route, try the design they based those pickups from: An actual Bill Lawrence L500 (Not the XL500, they're muddy too)

That nice, crisp distortion is hard to find in a tube amp under a grand. I would reccomend an Engl 60w Fireball, but that's way past your budget

I'm not really sure what to tell you to be honest
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Are Line 6 Spider II any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hC8cCVzW0

That would be my ideal tone. I see Marshalls in the back and an Ibanez tubescreamer on the floor to the right...

I'm just not sure what set-up to buy or whatever... Or if there is something I can get like a pedal to get CLOSER to that tone.

(Listen at about 6 min 20 seconds on.. Favorite part...that tone is amazing imo)
For what they are...
I've always thought those little Fender Frontman amps had a nice distortion to them.
Plus you can pick them up for like 50 bucks at a pawn shop
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Honestly, the Cube is one very good amp for SS. Are your gains maxed out?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by srvguitarrulez
It doesn't need to be a tube amp, I would be fine with a combo amp..

haha there are tube combo amps
i think you mea solid state.
and for the distortion your looking for, your gonna want tube(unless you find some really nice solid state amp, you never no)
If you just want a crunch, get a blues junior, you 'll get beautiful SRV tones and more.
Quote by thebasshacker
I agree, you don't need a Marshall stack, but definently a better amp. As for pedals, I'd say go with a better name brand, like Boss's Metal Distortion. As for the pickups, I'd suggest a higher quality humbucker in the bridge position.

IMO you should spend more time tinkering with your amp. The cube has EQ on it and will sound better if you turn it up more.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Lots of replies =D

I'm going to mess with my amp settings now.. Maybe I'll get something..who knows..

Right now I think the best thing for me would be to take my guitar to Guitar Center and just play with different amps...

But if anything can offer something particular I should look for, please let me know.

What are some good brands? I hear Line 6 is amazing, and then three people will rape that guy. So... I don't know who to believe.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Lots of replies =D

I'm going to mess with my amp settings now.. Maybe I'll get something..who knows..

Right now I think the best thing for me would be to take my guitar to Guitar Center and just play with different amps...

But if anything can offer something particular I should look for, please let me know.

What are some good brands? I hear Line 6 is amazing, and then three people will rape that guy. So... I don't know who to believe.

i love line 6 but theres a ginormous bandwagon here who hates line 6, so you'll have to decide for yourself
it's mostly the spider II or III SS series that people here hate.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"