so here i am about to get my new amp. i play alot of metal and love the tones of both but cant decide which one i want. what are you guys thoughts? im sure that both can get extremely loud but with the neighborhood that i live in i think i might get the roadster. yet still. cant decide. any advice..... please send it. thanks guys!
The Mesa has awesome cleans, and it's a 4 channel amp. Quite possibly one of the more (most IMO) versatile amps out there... and the 6505 is nowhere near it...

Roadster....

/thread.
Roadster no contest.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Roadster is an all around better amp imo.

Don't forget the Road King though if you're looking at Roadsters, the combos sell for slightly more than the Roadsters used and they are a better amp, more tight sounding and (if it's even possible) more versatile. Mine's for sale
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Really both amps are great, the 5150 is really good for metal and hardcore and not much else, where as the roadster is good at metal and anything else under the sun as well. I doubt the Boogie can match the rawness and out of control feeling the 5150 will have, but still is a very versatile amp capable of so many tones. Really I would pick the roadster for the versatilty, but I could see why someone would take the 5150 over the roadster, just because it is so awesome at what it does. Come on there is a reason why its arguably the most popular amp in the metal world. Good luck, go with tone you like the best, and or which amp will suit your style the most.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
Really both amps are great, the 5150 is really good for metal and hardcore, and the mesa roadster is good at metal and hard rock and not much else, where as the roadster is good at anything else under the sun as well. I doubt the Boogie can match the rawness and out of control feeling the 5150 will have, but still is a very versatile amp capable of so many tones. Really I would pick the roadster for the versatilty, but I could see why somone would take the 5150 over the roadster, just because it is so awesome at what it does. Come one theres a reason why its arguably the most popular amp in the metal world. Good luck, go with tone you like the best, and or which amp will suit your style the most.

Huh?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ I meant the 5150 Post now edited
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Roadster. I owned one for a while, super versatile amp. Didn't care much for the tone I got at home or when playing alone, but in a band setting the thing sounded amazingly good.

It had three downsides that lead me to ditching it though.

One, was the shear weight of the thing. If you plan on moving it around or playing gigs, or band practice or anything else, get the head and the 2x12 cab.

Two, the clean channel breaks up VERY early. I play a lot of strummy clean stuff in my band, and I just couldn't get it to a volume where it would remain clean and not break up, I tried a million different combinations of volume/gain/eq settings and basically nothing worked. On the bright side, the clean breakup is really... really nice.

Three, it's not all that great for lead stuff. It's by no means bad for leads, but the amp really is a rhythm machine. A brutal rhythm machine. A monster of a rhythm machine. But leads are kind of lacking.

As the poster above said, if you can afford it, go for the Road King. They're a little more difficult to dial in your settings with, they're more expensive, more versatile and a little harder to use. Again, if you plan on moving it around, get the head/cab version.

As for the 6505. They're great for what they do, but what they do is very limited. Johnbryant basically summed it up in the previous post.