Hey
i like drop D tuning but im havin some trouble
can any one tell me how the scales and chords change (if they do) for this tuning
i wanna write in this cus i prefere the sound more than standard tuning
thanks

Rock it out loud an rip up the sound waves, thats rock an roll!
Well it's just a matter of intervals. Just do some math in your head. Instead of a perfect 4th, you have a perfect 5th between your bottom D string and A string so essentially anything you play on the bottom D string with relation to the A string you have to play 2 frets higher. Any chord you would play in standard tuning you can play with the bottom note simply two frets higher. Get your head around the concept first and then start thinking about fingering. Quite honestly, drop d tuning is good or bad depending on the type of music you play. If you just intend to chunk down power chords and hit that d string 49 times over you're set, but if you intend to play more complicated chord voicing you're at a bit of a disadvantage. Same goes for scales. What you should really like is the sound of drop D, not the feel of it technically. Drop D gives a thicker, meatier, heavier sound. If you like it, maybe you could downtune your whole guitar a half step or more? Just make sure you consult a guitar technician on what string gauge to use as down tuning does slack your strings considerably, but again if you like the tone, it's cool. Yngwie plays 8s tuned to e flat. Freak.
Well do u have any other sugestions cus i find standard tuning too bright if u get me
thats the only reason i like drop D
but then i wanna play chords
not power chords
Quote by BladeX2
Well do u have any other sugestions cus i find standard tuning too bright if u get me
thats the only reason i like drop D
but then i wanna play chords
not power chords

tune to eb instead of drop d
Well, as I said in my post downtune your whole guitar a half step or a whole step, not just the lowest string. Depending on the action of your guitar you might encounter some problems, as in the strings might slack and 'slap' the neck of the guitar, especially if you're using lower gauge strings. If you're using say gauge .10 or .9 you could safely tune down a half step and you'll still get the same tone of drop d, or atleast something close. If you downtune your whole guitar you'd just be playing a step lower, you wouldn't have to modify your fingering for any chords or anything just understand anything you play will be a half step lower. If you like the tone after down tuning, maybe you could get higher gauge strings and get a guitar technician to increase the action of your guitar, just a tiny bit. You might also have to adjust the thrust rod. Again, guitar technician.
thanks guys
i tuned down a tone and got the perfect sound
tyvm