hey all you happy UG musicians!

I looking for some nice recording gear so I can record the music I write! I've been recommended a Shure SM57 mic and a M-Audio FAST TRACK external soundcard, but what would the players of UG recommend?!

Untill now I've recorded almost everything through mp3 players, webcams and old halfbroken mics! I recently uploaded a number called 'Winter' on my profile (a number I wrote) which I recorded with an old and nearly broken microphone! I wan't something better than that, and I hope you will help me!

It will be used for guitar and bass only

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Last edited by TheBloodstained at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by Thrall
what's your budget?

I guess I would be willing to throw in about 2500 danish crowns, which would be roughly 459 dollars or roughly 335 euro!

did that make any sense?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
I got my M-Box 2 with Pro Tools 7.4, as well as a Shure SM57, 2 KRK Rockit 5's and 2 sets of monster studio cables (possibly a few other things)... for like $1000 CDN....... (about 590 Euro)

I am sure that you can get some decent monitors (KRK) with an interface, and some software, and an SM57 for that kind of price.
that basic setup you described is fine.

also look into the Toneports - that's what I'm going for. Now called Pod Studio I think and comes with Pod Farm emulating software.

also check out the Riffs and Recording forum of UG, they talk about this stuff constantly.

(Pod studio info credited to Necrophagist777 - he just put a killer Soldano SLO clip with this set up. Pod Farm emulated the SLO so)
the MBox 2 seems cool, but its a bit on the expensive side (everything is so damn expensive here in Denmark!)

the M-Audio is more within my pricerange :/

EDIT: as for software, so far I've been doing great with Cool Edit and Reason 4.0

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
for mic's red 5 audio do nice condensers quite cheap, its good for vocals and for micing guitars
i'm in the same situation and i'm looking at Red 5 mic's cos theyre cheap lol
i'v only ever used Audacity lol

edit: oh ****, guitar and bass only? right, aye then the Shure SM57 is a really good dynamic mic for recording instruments
you can get some amazing guitar tones if you experiment with close and distant micing
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Dec 16, 2008,
I think I'll go with the Shure SM57 mic! I can buy it for 700 danish crowns, which I guess is pretty cheap.

The biggest problem is what I'm going to plug it into then! .....and why did that sentence give me wierd pictures in my head?! xD

anyway, the Line6 Toneport UX1 and UX2 looks nice! Anyone who got any expirience with those?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
KRK sound like dump to me. I want to get ADAM a7's, but my budget will probably only allow room for Yamaha HS80M's
I don't know if I'm going to buy monitors, though it would be the best thing to do! Haven't got that much money to spend. And if I did buy monitors I might buy a pair og Behringer Truth speakers. My brother uses them and they sound really nice!

But right know I'm just interested in some external sound device which I can plug a mic into. I think the M-Audio Fast Track Pro would be a good choice. Saw some videos on youtube about it and it sounded like a really good unit. I don't really need all that software that comes with many of these devices!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
If i were you i wouldnt go down the micing route on your budget, ide go for a direct input route, i have and can reckomend http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/ it comes with tracktion 2 and is super easy to use. it has way better pre-amps than the pods, and if u do eventualy wanna get in to micing your amps and such it has inputs for and pre-amps for both powerd and non powerd mics

read the link and i think u will see its the one for you.
Quote by TheBloodstained
I think I'll go with the Shure SM57 mic! I can buy it for 700 danish crowns, which I guess is pretty cheap.

The biggest problem is what I'm going to plug it into then! .....and why did that sentence give me wierd pictures in my head?! xD

anyway, the Line6 Toneport UX1 and UX2 looks nice! Anyone who got any expirience with those?

I use a pod studio which is basically the toneport.

I have 1 clip with the Guitar going straight into the POD Studio three different amp models from the POD Farm software.

Then my cover of the Say Goodnight solo is done with my ValveKing mic'ed with a SM58>XLR into the POD Studio.

Clips are on my profile if you wanna check them out.

I still prefer to mic my amp but the tones from the software are not half bad, especially the cleans from the Deluxe Reverb Model. Either way you do it, it's tough to beat the options you get with the POD Studio/Toneport.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by NJNoise
I got my M-Box 2 with Pro Tools 7.4, as well as a Shure SM57, 2 KRK Rockit 5's and 2 sets of monster studio cables (possibly a few other things)... for like $1000 CDN....... (about 590 Euro)

I am sure that you can get some decent monitors (KRK) with an interface, and some software, and an SM57 for that kind of price.

studio headphones are cheaper and sometimes better than monitors, fyi
Quote by Thrall
studio headphones are cheaper and sometimes better than monitors, fyi

# like 3 rule of mixing...

NEVER...EVER... mix with headphones.

THAT sir is what is taught in schools....

I have never EVER seen a pro mix with headphones, and I have not once found a pair of headphones that can mix better than a good set of KRK's or JBL's....

Honestly, headphones (yes all...even those labeled "studio") are biased and have a certain amount of pitch correction not based on a room, but on the shape of your ears, not giving you a true mix.