i'm flying home for christmas on saturday and i was considering taking my acoustic with me. would it be a good idea or not? i've never travelled by plane with a guitar. i have a hard shell case and everything but will dramatic change in pressure/temperature affect it?
Go Veg.
just tune your guitar down alot.
like so the strings are almost falling off the neck.
ive heard waaay too many stories about how someone bought a guitar in cali. and brought it back to RI on a plane and the pressure snapped the neck.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I take my acoustic on all holidays, just make sure you can lock your hard case and de tune the strings super loose so the pressure wont snap it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
I take my acoustic on all holidays, just make sure you can lock your hard case and de tune the strings super loose so the pressure wont snap it.

I'm sorry, but how does a decrease in air pressure, snap a guitar neck? And if it does, what point is there in de-tuning it?

A decrease or increase in air pressure, can only affect a sealed unit, which they aren't.

Could it not be, the dramatic change in temperature (cold) contracting the strings and then snapping the neck? Along with the truss rod contracting as well?
also stuff rolled up socks or t shirts in the case with the guitar so it fits tighter in the case to prevent it from bieng jared around i would also wrap tape around the case after closing to make sure it doesnt get opened
Quote by Skeet UK
I'm sorry, but how does a decrease in air pressure, snap a guitar neck? And if it does, what point is there in de-tuning it?

A decrease or increase in air pressure, can only affect a sealed unit, which they aren't.

Could it not be, the dramatic change in temperature (cold) contracting the strings and then snapping the neck? Along with the truss rod contracting as well?

i dont think its as much an air pressure thing as it is an extreme cold thing...the cold in the compartment likely would cause the strings to constrict even further thus bending the neck and snapping it
Quote by bigpun148
i dont think its as much an air pressure thing as it is an extreme cold thing...the cold in the compartment likely would cause the strings to constrict even further thus bending the neck and snapping it

Is that not what I said when you quoted me?

The air pressure thing, was rhetorical and sarcastic
I would also slap a bunch of fragile stickers on your case. As in almost entriely cover the case in fragile stickers.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Skeet UK
Is that not what I said when you quoted me?

The air pressure thing, was rhetorical and sarcastic

lol come on...im new...and at work...tired as a government mule...and im new...honestly i stopped reading after the first two sentences and was all like "im gonna show this smartass" DOH!!!!!!!!!!
You might even want to buy a seat for your guitar if you care about it that much, but a hardcase is needed in any situation you choose.
I honestly don't buy this whole neck snapping thing.

Surely common sense would dictact that they strings would be able to handle far less pressure than the neck and therefore the strings would snap WELL before they exerted enough pressure on the neck to break it.
i've taken my acoustic from california to the east coast and back plenty of times without a hard case and without tuning it down. i guess i was just lucky.
Quote by stereocustard
i've taken my acoustic from california to the east coast and back plenty of times without a hard case and without tuning it down. i guess i was just lucky.

LOL
First off, ask the airline if you could possibly bring it onboard with you. If you can't then your only option is to leave it in the luggage compartment.

If you have to leave it down there, detune the strings till they're loose and stuff a whole bunch of crumpled newspapers underneath and around the headstock to give it a bit of support.

The best option is just to leave it at home, but if you must then take the precautions.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
This topic has already been brought up and beat down. Here are two excerpts from two very reputible guitar mfr's and their take on traveling with guitars. Read on:

From Taylor's website:
" Many players and repairpersons believe it's best to de-tune a guitar for long-distance flights, due to changes in air pressure and temperature in the baggage compartment. We don't recommend doing so, because if you de-tune a guitar for any length of time, you also have to loosen the truss rod. Otherwise, the neck may develop a back bow, and it could prove difficult to completely correct that. In other words, you actually could do long-term damage to the instrument by loosening the strings and not loosening the truss rod at the same time. On a Taylor guitar, it's best to simply leave it as is, even on relatively long flights. Otherwise, just use your best judgement when it comes to traveling with your Taylor. For example, don't leave it sitting in a car for any length of time, because not only can it be stolen, but the extreme temperatures can cause serious damage resulting in costly repairs."

From Larrivee's website:
"Do NOT take tension off the strings when shipping your guitar. This is a dangerous practice as the machine heads and headstock are the heaviest parts of the guitar, and the string tension from proper tuning serves to counteract the stresses these parts place on the instrument. Some people on the internet will tell you that loosening the strings is a good idea - If it was such a good idea, then every manufacturer would do it. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Larrivee, Collings, etc all ship our guitars new from the factory at full tension - What makes your guitar any different?"