Page 1 of 2
Hello.

I played guitar for about a year now..
im beeing teached in acoustic guitar and in my spare time i play El-Guitar.

Anyways, how good do you think a 1 year guitarist should be (:

Maybe its a hard questing.. but just a couple of minuts ago. i asked myself what the hell is scales.. Am i lost??

So. what things should i learn? i really get sad to see how many things i dont know..
Theres no set level at which someone should be at after one year

you can, however.. start learning the basics of music theory on this website and ensure drastic improvement over the next year
um...somebody is teahcing you guitar and that person never told you a thing about scales ?
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
It depends on what you did before, and how much you played during that year. After my first year, i had played only 2/3 times a week for a few hours but i had played piano for 8 years so i understood everything i was doing. I knew a few scales, i could finger pick and such. It all depends on your situation and how much you played
~Defiant~
everybody's different. i know people in their first year mastering major chords scales, etc. , and a guy playing 3 years who was still learning the basics of those. everyone has their own pace and interests...
In the first year or so of playing, i don't believe its important to teach really any music theory other than the names of notes. Strictly work on technique and getting used to the guitar, learning easy songs and chord progressions.
hmm.. I think you need to learn more theory..
I'm playing guitar about a year now, but I know what are scales (not good still at using them for solo )

Start reading some stuff, first check here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

I suggest you to start from beginning, and take it easy..

Don't just read tab's
Quote by cthuludawn21
everybody's different. i know people in their first year mastering major chords scales, etc. , and a guy playing 3 years who was still learning the basics of those. everyone has their own pace and interests...

a year is only so long though, even if they're already learning major scales its pretty likely they're not up to par in other aspects of playing
Should be>?

This question is ridiculous.

I can't even bothered to explain.

I only say this. Do you like playing guitar?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Everyone will be different, so many factors wil affect what level you are at.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by B.do
um...somebody is teahcing you guitar and that person never told you a thing about scales ?

Well im sure i learned it. but im from denmark and im not quite sure on what scales is on danish.. Or i just cant seem to remember it..
Quote by B.do

For most instruments you dont actually learn about scales and such until at LEAST 6 or 7 months into your playing. For some reason, guitar teachers have decided otherwise, but its really not that strange.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Should be>?

This question is ridiculous.

I can't even bothered to explain.

I only say this. Do you like playing guitar?

Indeed i love it. my teacher actually upgraded me to the more advanced level team that he teaches. and i can play some song. for an example im trying to learn

"take me out" by franz ferdinand, i can play most of the song called "Swing Swing" by All american rejects, i can play 2 or 3 songs from Editors. And alot more.

But yeah maybe i need some theory, i know about tranposition.
Last edited by Broch at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by Broch
Indeed i love it. my teacher actually upgraded me to the more advanced level team that he teaches. and i can play some song. for an example im trying to learn

"take me out" by franz ferdinand, i can play most of the song called "Swing Swing" by All american rejects, i can play 2 or 3 songs from Editors.

But yeah maybe i need some theory, i know about tranposition.

Let me be the first to compliment you on your english for a non native english speaker.

And second, as long as your having fun, dont worry about where you are. In the long run, youll learn more by wanting to play and wanting to learn then by trying to judge how good you are and how good you should be
its all at your own pace. ive been playing for just under a year and i only know 1 scale and 4 or 5 notes! yet i can play about 7 or 8 FULL songs.(i use tabs). but im thinking of taking lessons starting this summer and learning scales and notes and music theorey and...

EDIT: i can also play 20 or 30 riffs and intros and whatnot. but when i play my guitar im there to PLAY and have fun! not just study, study, study, study, play, study, study, study...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by f22master
its all at your own pace. ive been playing for just under a year and i only know 1 scale and 4 or 5 notes! yet i can play about 7 or 8 FULL songs.(i use tabs). but im thinking of taking lessons starting this summer and learning scales and notes and music theorey and...

Sounds good. i just cant wait for the christmas holiday so i can play alot of guitar..
I have been playing guitar since november of 2007, so it's a year and a month now.
I can play almost everything from Metallica, solos from Dream Theater like Scarred, Innocence Faded, Octavarium, and some Petrucci's stuff like Glasgow Kiss, Lost Without You and Wishful Thinking all complete.
I'm taking 1 and a half-hour lesson once a week and I also study music theory, I'm now getting into modal improvisation, after Chord Work, 7th-9th-11th-13th chords, major and minor scales, circle of fifths and stuff like that.
I always play 1 or 2 hours a day and also 3-4 in the weekends.
I think I'm pretty good for the time, but if I'm good in guitar, without a doubt there are other things in which I'm not that good, so it's all balanced
Last edited by Dark_Itachi at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by Dark_Itachi
I have been playing guitar since november of 2007, so it's a year and a month now.
I can play almost everything from Metallica, solos from Dream Theater like Scarred, Innocence Faded, Octavarium, and some Petrucci's stuff like Glasgow Kiss, Lost Without You and Wishful Thinking all complete.
I'm taking 1 and a half-hour lesson once a week and I also study music theory, I'm now getting into modal improvisation, after Chord Work, 7th-9th-11th-13th chords, major and minor scales, circle of fifths and stuff like that.
I think I'm pretty good for the time, but if I'm good in guitar, without a doubt there are other things in which I'm not that good, so it's all balanced

You can play Dream theather stuff within 1 and a half year?

vids/audio recording please.

Also vid of you playing master of puppets on the original tempo, all the way through without losing rhythm or swingin it.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Dark_Itachi
http://it.youtube.com/user/Cesare92

There are just two of them right now, when I'll mind i'll post some glasgow kiss and wishful thinking

EDIT: The octavarium one was recorded long time ago, i think i'll post a better version in days...

You should work on dynamics. It just sounds like ur playing notes and it lacks a driving force or sense of flow. You should also work on ur vibrato.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yes, you're right
Workin on those things that will come with time and practice ^^
I just do not tell lies ^^
Quote by Dark_Itachi
Yes, you're right
Workin on those things that will come with time and practice ^^
I just do not tell lies ^^

Well imo playing a song half is not playing the song. Or else I can probably play every song.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Dark_Itachi
Am I blind? Where is half of the song?

Ur missing my point. I meant half of the essence of the song.

For example
If I play all the notes right when doing a metal riff, but my palm mutes sound very weak, it will sound ****.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ur missing my point. I meant half of the essence of the song.

For example
If I play all the notes right when doing a metal riff, but my palm mutes sound very weak, it will sound ****.

Could not agree with you more. I don't understand why people think that knowing the notes to a song is being able to play it. The one thing any new guitarist has to learn is to listen to themselves. You got to be your hardest critic, if you can't do that, yikes. I mean, it's not about just learning a song, memorizing scales, or trying to pick fast you gotta make a guitar breath, man. It's good learning songs, but really, if you think that's playing, you're missing the whole point. Guitar isn't a piano. It isn't just a note you hit. Those notes can come alive via vibrato, something you should work on all the time no matter where you are in your career. Plus, phrasing and dynamics, of course. Learns some blues. There is no better way to learn how to make a guitar cry in agony and squeal in pleasure than 'em blues.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
Could not agree with you more. I don't understand why people think that knowing the notes to a song is being able to play it. The one thing any new guitarist has to learn is to listen to themselves. You got to be your hardest critic, if you can't do that, yikes. I mean, it's not about just learning a song, memorizing scales, or trying to pick fast you gotta make a guitar breath, man. It's good learning songs, but really, if you think that's playing, you're missing the whole point. Guitar isn't a piano. It isn't just a note you hit. Those notes can come alive via vibrato, something you should work on all the time no matter where you are in your career. Plus, phrasing and dynamics, of course. Learns some blues. There is no better way to learn how to make a guitar cry in agony and squeal in pleasure than 'em blues.

I agree that you must be hard on urself, but through practice I came to the conclusion that not everyone is capable of this. I don't know why, some people are just more emotion driven and can't think abstract. That's why I recommend a teacher or a coach. 2nd opinion will most likely always be objectively and righteous if given by someone who can think "out of the box".

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It sounded all right to me -- especially for a year + 1/2. I don't know those songs
though, but it was still listenable.

Maybe some issues with your picking hand and minor stuff here and there. 10/10 just
for having the recording! That might be the first claim of the sort I've EVER heard backed
up by ANYTHING!
Quote by edg
It sounded all right to me -- especially for a year + 1/2. I don't know those songs
though, but it was still listenable.

Maybe some issues with your picking hand and minor stuff here and there. 10/10 just
for having the recording! That might be the first claim of the sort I've EVER heard backed
up by ANYTHING!

Yes, kudos on backing it up with a video. And yes, I admit, it's good and you can listen to it but you know when I was a one year old guitarist all I could play was Green Day and blues but I played some blues. My fingers weren't strong enough my ears weren't good enough but boy did I have some serious fun making my guitar whale.

As to not being able to be objective with what you do, I think recording helps a lot and of course, youtube. So, he's got the right idea, you know, he's using youtube for a second opinion. Not the best opinion sometimes but it's something.
Everybody that's ever played thinks they know more than they do at some time or other.
Generally, the notion can be quickly dismissed if you actually ask them to do something
fairly simple that's even a little outside the narrow world they practice in. Hopefully,
that's when you realize it's actually the simple things mastered that will get you to
an advanced level. However, a lot of times the reaction is "I should already know that"
or "I'm above/better than that". So, the lesson remains unlearned until the next time
the guitar slaps you down. It's pretty good at keeping your head from inflating.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You should work on dynamics. It just sounds like ur playing notes and it lacks a driving force or sense of flow. You should also work on ur vibrato.

Man, talk about a sad sack reply geared more to puffing the poster's own ego.

Those clips are commendable, they demonstrate an impressive feat of memorisation coupled with multiple aspects of musicianship. Well done and keep up the study.
In a year Ive learned 6 scales, tons of tabs ( mostly to perfection ) like stairway to heaven and so on. Everything takes time and patience which is honestly half the fun.

We rarely play guitar; We only continuously learn guitar.
Quote by Dark_Itachi
http://it.youtube.com/user/Cesare92

There are just two of them right now, when I'll mind i'll post some glasgow kiss and wishful thinking

EDIT: The octavarium one was recorded long time ago, i think i'll post a better version in days...

The "Razor's edge" movie was good, hopefully your bends and vibratos are better now
Quote by Broch
Hello.

I played guitar for about a year now..
im beeing teached in acoustic guitar and in my spare time i play El-Guitar.

Anyways, how good do you think a 1 year guitarist should be (:

Maybe its a hard questing.. but just a couple of minuts ago. i asked myself what the hell is scales.. Am i lost??

So. what things should i learn? i really get sad to see how many things i dont know..

A year is not very long. Don't worry about it. Just keep learning, playing, and more importantly, have fun doing it.
shred is gaudy music
ive been playing for a year and a half, and can play a hell of alot on acoustic, but i have no electric, so i cant do much, not to mention i dont use a pick. but i o play my friends electric sometimes and i am pretty good with barring, and some solo's, like one, and enter sandman, but i have no vids, sorry

but acoustic, its amazing of what ull be able to do, for electric, work on one song, over and over, till you can play it with your eyes closed...and when your tired
i've been playing for about a year, and im being taught intermediate level stuff about arpeggios, pentatonics, etc. =/
theres no way you can possible learn everything there is to learn up to a year, you might be working on penatonic scales and such while he might have a huge advantage on you in constucting chords.
its been mentioned already in this thread, there is no set level you should be at after one year. Everyone learns at different speeds and with different methods.
Quote by Dark_Itachi

Really I don't feel happy anymore. I'm gonna hang myself with my guitar cable this is so sickening me. But I grant you the skill you have
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Dude i've been playing for 4 months and i know alot of things. I know open, bar chords harmonic minor, major minor pentantonic, major scale (not exactly beginner and it get worse)
. i know what modes are and the principles of playing them. i learned sweeping(not very good ..... yet) and tapping(5,6 finger) from UG. I know so much thanks to theory. If you need to know something you can always search it here.

PS. Self-taught
Well.
Thanks for all the replies!

I think im gonna start all over with my guitar.
Really just take it from the beginning, like how to hold a pick.

And then work my way up the basic theory...
Page 1 of 2