Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

My uncle recently asked me if I would tutor my little cousin on the guitar (she's 11)
Problem is I wouldn't know where to start.
Anyone here give lessons? And what would be the best things to start with?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Start with basic note reading and hand positions

And then, have her learn Stairway the next day.
Start with teaching her good technique.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Start by asking her what music she likes. If she mentions the jonas brothers or hannah montana/miley cyrus, quit.
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
also do some basic open chords like C, D, G then maybe teach her a song usin those so she'll have something to her uncle right away
Quote by Beast-Wyvern
Start by asking her what music she likes. If she mentions the jonas brothers or hannah montana/miley cyrus, quit.

Do this but do the opposite of what this guy sais, if she likes these "bands" teach her a couple of songs, the 1st thing to do when teaching some one so young is to keep them intrested and you wont do that by teaching them slayer (if they aint into slayer of coarse)
You'll need as much patience as her if you've never tought before, i'd start off teaching her a few main chords (G, Em, A, D, C, F etc), only teach her 1 or 2 at a time and have her practice making the possition and just getting used to strumming up and down a couple of chords, she'll want to move on quickly as she'll get bored and let her move on but make sure to keep coming back to these chords and she'll keep intrest in learning.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
parts of guitar, how to hold it, how to hold,string notes, ask favourite music, learn 1-2 chords a lesson, then learn some of the songs, moree chords for 4-5 classes, then move to tuning.

trust me, thats what i do
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I would first teach her the parts of the guitar (bridge, tuners, neck, body, etc.), then how to tune it by ear and also give her a tuner. Then move on to chords, very simple melody lines (like melodies to some holiday songs, Twinkle Twinkle little star, Mary had a little lamb, etc.), and full, simple songs. Power chords, scales, theory, soloing and the like should come later, most likely in that order.
teach her how to move her hand up and down the neck fast. have her practice on your p3n0r. win win, she learns guitar, and you have fun =D
Quote by nowa90
parts of guitar, how to hold it, how to hold,string notes, ask favourite music, learn 1-2 chords a lesson, then learn some of the songs, moree chords for 4-5 classes, then move to tuning.

trust me, thats what i do

Do exactly what he says.

I teach guitar after school and teach these same things.

And ZeGuitarist gives good advice for lessons, ask him.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Thanks for all the help, guys. Hopefully this will all get her really into it.
Cheers.
Quote by markomite
teach her how to move her hand up and down the neck fast. have her practice on your p3n0r. win win, she learns guitar, and you have fun =D

Is that how you learned?

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Do exactly what he says. I teach guitar after school and teach these same things. And ZeGuitarist gives good advice for lessons, ask him.

thanks
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.