Hey there!

I got a few questions regarding tapping on an acoustic (steel string), since I've been trying to learn Drifting lately. I got the tapping/percussion patterns down and all, but still wondering.

Is there any 'good' setup for a tapping acoustic guitar? Like lower action, even though that would sacrifice some tone? Certain string gauges?

Also, when I tap strings down, regarding where I tap the fret it makes this extra *pling* noise. But is it just a matter of building up finger strength to hit the notes more clear? - I know my action isn't very low, but would a lower action eliminate some of the fret noise when tapping the notes higher up the fretboard?

I'm rather green on the tapping area, so any helpful input is appreciated
the best thing for taping on an acoustic is to have a lot of power, and that extra sound is probably the string slapping the other frets
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The other *pling* is the other side of the string resonating. Not much you can do about it. A helpful tip, though, is to dampen the strings behind the nut, i.e. with a bandana or something. Antoine Dufour does so and it helps.
Cheers for the input :-)

I've experienced, that this *pling* is reduced a lot when I tap near the 'fret-end' (Couldn't make up a better word for that, sorry), so I'll just keep going with the precision and practice ^^
Also, I didn't have anything to stuff in between the nut, but I'll definitely try it out sometime.
If you are mic'd up and recording with a non-electric acoustic guitar, you can slide a small piece of foam, like 1/2" by 2" behind the nut and the pegs to keep them from resonating. I've had them come through on a really sensitive condensor mic before.