Ive been looking around for a new amp for myself and Ive found a model that i like. The question that i have is which one, in your opinion, be better sound quality and over all volume one that is 50 watts and 1 speaker or one that is 18 watts and 2 speakers? These amps are Crate V series. Thanks in advance
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
50 watts will have more headroom equaling less break up at lower volumes. Speakers have nothing to do with tone until your over pushing the speaker into distortion realm. And adding a speaker doesnt increase volume just makes the sound fuller.

Example if your playing classic rock and want a full tone with break up/power tube saturation. Go with the 18 watter and 2 speakers.

So its a question of headroom for you honestly. What type of music do you play?
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 16, 2008,
i play a lot of different genres but I mainly play Rise Against type stuff. Sort of that harder punk genre i guess you can say but i would like it to be able to give nice cleans as well
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
I would not by an amp with less than 2 speakers unless it was just for practice.

1 speaker = not a lot of presence
2 speakers = more full sound
4 speakers = full and ballsier sound
i say no to the v50 its just to damn ****ing buzzy.

If you do happen to get the Crate V18 212 the first best thing you can do is get an OD pedal.

really makes it into a great little amp.
2 speakers will in theory give you more head room, as will 4 due to them moving more air and thus making more sound with less volume. I only really notice it with 4. The speaker cab design also can influence this slightly.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
50 watts will have more headroom equaling less break up at lower volumes. Speakers have nothing to do with tone until your over pushing the speaker into distortion realm. And adding a speaker doesnt increase volume just makes the sound fuller.

Example if your playing classic rock and want a full tone with break up/power tube saturation. Go with the 18 watter and 2 speakers.

So its a question of headroom for you honestly. What type of music do you play?

Sorry but that's just not true.

1) Speakers have lots to do with tone and feel even at low volumes
2) They do increase volume: doubling speaker surface area gives the same volume increase as doubling an amp's wattage iirc
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
thanks for the help guys i was leaning toward the 50 but now im gunna go with the 18.
Quote by Dr. House
Quote by MrCarrot
Sorry but that's just not true.

1) Speakers have lots to do with tone and feel even at low volumes
2) They do increase volume: doubling speaker surface area gives the same volume increase as doubling an amp's wattage iirc

You are correct, in the fact that yes it does slightly effect tone. But come one now carrot your really reaching and nit picking here...

1)My answer was based off the guys question of which amp would sound better for him. So wattage is going to play more of a role in over all tone then having an extra speaker in the mix. So its down to the amp not the fact that two speakers sound a tad bit better then one. I would take an amp that fit my needs over having an amp that wasnt right for me just so I can have two speakers anyday. Also fuller is a tonal change as mentioned.

2)A 2-3 dB change in sound level is barely perceptible, out of all people I wouldnt have thought you would be the one telling the guy to get a half stack just to hear a difference in loudness.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You are correct.

But come one now carrot your really reaching and nit picking here...

1)My answer was based off the guys question of which amp would sound better for him. So wattage is going to play more of a role in over all tone then having an extra speaker in the mix. So its down to the amp not the fact that two speakers sound a tad bit better then one.
2)A 2-3 dB change in sound level is barely perceptible, out of all people I wouldnt have thought you would be the one telling the guy to get a half stack just to hear a difference in loudness.
Well you say that but really these amps are going to have volume that is within probably 1db of each other so the recommendation is really in the voicing.

They probably balance out also because the higher wattage makes the amp sound 'bigger' and obviously gives extra volume in the same way that having two speakers does so.

So that really brings it down to, do you want EL84 or 6L6 tone and do you want a big heavy 2x12 or a 1x12. And judging by his musical styles, i'd say the 50w 1x12 would be better.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.