I never fingerpick so I'm a total noob at this.... but is it alright to anchor using the pinky while doing it? Or should I be using all my fingers?

Many thanks,

AG noob.
Quote by xitlight
not usually. It's poor technique.

Don't anchor at all, in any way.
its alright, there is going to always be someone around here tossing the poor technique flag at you, but do what works best for you. i find myself anchoring when doing something like rolls or just moderate fingerpicking but naturally unanchor when doing picato stuff etc.
Don't do it.
Nerve threads decoding the stream of the reality-inverting revolution
The patterned untruth of non-dream:
The closed-eye
visual delusion.
:s sorry English isn't my first language, what is 'to anchor' in this context?
anchoring the pinky, most classical guitarists will say its bad technique, but IMO that really depends on what you are playing. i define my own technique and that is a mix between anchoring and not. when i play i notice that i unanchor depending on how much of the bass strings i am using. of course i am not playing classical guitar anyways.

musicians might judge anchoring as being bad, but the majority of your listening audience is not going to be judging you the same and wont really understand what anchoring is anyways.
I see Tommy Emmanuell doing it all the time, and the man is like a legendary fingerstyle guitarist?!
honestly its not that big of a deal. but if you care about classical technique then its bad. generally classical technique is trying to make you get the best sound out of the guitar, but it is by no means the only way.
as the poster said above me, tommy emmanuel does it occasionally and hes one of the best fingerstyle guitarists. then again hes not classically trained(not even close).
Generally I would say that it is a bad habit (Anchoring as planting the pinky on the bridge or surface of the guitar, correct?). Generally I keep my hand and fingers above my strings, or have my wrist on the bridge with my fingers floating above the strings. However, I rarely have to use my pinky, and I play complex stuff too. A general rule of "thumb" (Wow I'm lame) is to play the E A and D strings with your thumb while your G B and e strings are played with Index, Middle, Ring in that order.
Quote by Stratopower
I see Tommy Emmanuell doing it all the time, and the man is like a legendary fingerstyle guitarist?!

TE is amazing. He does anchor his pinky a lot.

I think it's ok to anchor, as long as you're not dependent on it. You should be able to play without doing it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i tend to anchor when using a plectrum and not when finger picking?

what's wrong with me ?

not while strumming obviously, but while picking notes out...
^ I do the same thing. With my electric and acoustic. I don't really think there's anything wrong with it TBH. Just puts less stress on your wrist and gives it a nice, well deserved break if you've been doing some crazy picking.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I anchor when pick-picking, but when fingerpicking, my pinky isn't usually within reach of anything but strings.
Wow...you guys make me feel like I suck

I've been anchoring since I started and I've had a lot of success with it. I don't go to classical guitar classes or anything, but if you guys say it's bad technique, then I guess I have to believe the general understanding here.

How do I stop?? I can't play without my pinky being stuck.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I find that anchoring while picking (plectrum) slows me down considerably. I used to do it, then decided to stop. However, with fingerpicking, I find that it is the only way I can have any accuracy with my fingers. Same thing with bass, I have my thumb on my low B or pick up all the time, can't play without it.
So in summary: go ahead and anchor pinky (on soundboard) but it will compromise your technique.
Tommy Emmanuel is a great musician, but his fingerpicking technique is very limited when compared to classical players.
ok maybe i missed something, but what do you mean by anchoring?? i fingerpick a lot and i wanna be sure im not using bad technique
Anchoring = placing any part of your hand on the guitar so that you feel more stable and secure whilst playing. If you can't play without putting this part of your hand down then you have a bit of a problem. If your hand brushes, but isn't fixed and you can play without it brushing you're alright.

I think the Tommy can do it therefore so can I idea is flawed. Tommy is much more talented than you and probably practised A LOT to get his technique down. If tommy hadn't anchored he may be an even more mind boggling guitarist.

Anchoring speeds you up at first, you make lots of ground, but later on all it produces is tension and you loose a lot of freedom in your right hand. Same goes for playing with a pick.

Try not anchoring, (for at least 2 months) and see if there's suddenly a big improvement from where you were when you stopped. There should be.

To stop anchoring, slow down a lot, and practise everything making sure you don't anchor. Not much more to it than that.
Quote by Confusius

Anchoring speeds you up at first, you make lots of ground, but later on all it produces is tension and you loose a lot of freedom in your right hand. Same goes for playing with a pick.

Completely agreed. Anchoring limits your hand's range, and therefore speed as well in the long run.

Although Tommy does anchor his pinky, he can also play with it off. If you watch his videos closely, he puts his pinky on and off the pickguard quite often.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Confusius
Anchoring = placing any part of your hand on the guitar so that you feel more stable and secure whilst playing. If you can't play without putting this part of your hand down then you have a bit of a problem. If your hand brushes, but isn't fixed and you can play without it brushing you're alright.

I think the Tommy can do it therefore so can I idea is flawed. Tommy is much more talented than you and probably practiced A LOT to get his technique down. If tommy hadn't anchored he may be an even more mind boggling guitarist.

Try not anchoring, (for at least 2 months) and see if there's suddenly a big improvement from where you were when you stopped. There should be.

To stop anchoring, slow down a lot, and practice everything making sure you don't anchor. Not much more to it than that.

Thank you! About time someone answered this completely(somewhat) and correctly. I was to lazy yesterday to type all of the information; nice to see I can return and see the question still getting answered.
Thanks for the killer answer Confusius, I'll try me best to keep up the non-anchored fingerstyle.

It's awkward for me to play mainly because I never do (go plectrum!) but I'll work on it.
put ur pinky past the e string but never anchor i did it for a while
it's a very bad habit
I anchored to start with but just found it uncomfortable and a bit limiting. Just played naturally and stopped doing it. Definetly seems best not to but there is plenty great guitarist who do. Guess it's just personal taste.
"If you're born with a love for the wrote and the writ
People of letters your warning stands clear
Pay heed to your heart and not to your wit
Don't say in a letter what you can't in my ear"