So, i finally made my mind that I want a pickup change on my Fender Strat rahter than whole new guitar. I kinda like the tone i have now, but I would like to change some things. I wanted to make the neck-pickup more appropriate to soloing, but still make it a good blues pair with the middle pickup. I would like toa dd more output to the bridge tone and get a Slash/Angus tone out of it without any hum. I mainly play Blues, Classic and Hard Rock. I have around 80$ budget for each pickup.

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
IMO: Hot Rails bridge, Cool rails Mid, Vintage Rails Neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
IMO: Hot Rails bridge, Cool rails Mid, Vintage Rails Neck.

isnt the Hot Rails like, Metal-output? I was thinking about a JB Jr or a Little 59 for the bridge
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
maybe some kind of seymour duncan humbucker in the bridge?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Vikingx
Trade it in for a Les Paul

idiot
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Vikingx

+1.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Tatersalad1080
idiot

Just to make sure that EVERYONE understands this....
You're a "Cook at Dairy Queen" and you're calling me an "idiot"?!?

Look kid....
I own a fender and I can get a much better rock tone out of my guitars that are equipped with humbuckers than singlecoils. I wasn't bagging on this guy.... just stating the facts. I love my Fenders don't get me wrong.

Anything else you'd like to debate child?
Making your Strat more 'rock-oriented' lies also within your amp and effects. If you expect Angus and Slash sounds, it's something that's rather hard to fudge. Fiddling with your pickups can help you out a little bit, but don't ever expect to sound like it's coming straight off the Highway to Hell album. While humbuckers are the desired equipment for stuffs like that, if you know how to work your amp you can possibly get the tones you desire. I'm running a Squier Affinity into 3 pedals and a Line 6 Spider 3 amp, not the best equipment, but I can get Iron Maiden tones pretty well.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
hotrails and stuff
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
i get some cool tones by using the bridge and middle, and then i turn the tone on the middle pickup down at least half way, it really works well for me.
ive also seen someone do some weird wiring that made you be able to switch from a regular strat sound, to doing something weird and they become humbuckers. let me find it.

here is the wiring method
http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm

and here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMNwkoalKA
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Dec 16, 2008,
I'd just save up for a new guitar. Like a les paul or SG. I've never liked strats with humbuckers, to me, they sound perfect with single coils.
Quote by al112987
I'd just save up for a new guitar. Like a les paul or SG. I've never liked strats with humbuckers, to me, they sound perfect with single coils.

This, unless you do some crazy ****ed up **** to it to make it not a strat no more.

Or, learn to live with the hum
I guess I'm just crazy then. I don't see what the big deal is. I've seen the new Les Paul with a Floyd and Ibanez guitars with single coils. Who cares. Plus, I saw a dude not to long ago pull a some amazing Slash riffs with a SSS Strat.

PS. I don't have any annoying hum in my guitar. I got a Duncan Custom Custom. It's not a PAF or JB but it does the job.

Attachments:
IMG_9235.JPG
my strat (special edition koa) came stock with SD Alnico II Pro pups in all three positions, and they're quite versatile. i can get great blues and rock tones. for the bridge though, since you want a more dedicated ac/dc or gnr sound, go for the little 59er or something similar. i guess a good way to describe the alnico ii pros would be like a sort of vintage singlecoil, but a little hotter to handle some more modern rock.
Throw a Humbucker in the Bridge (new pickguard needed) Maybe a Duncan JB. Get a some Fender Vintage Noisless for the Mid and Neck to get rid of that hum.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
the fender vintage noiseless are nice, but they are a little too underpowered for most rock. however, they are still excellent for blues.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Quote by DeltaFunk
Throw a Humbucker in the Bridge (new pickguard needed) Maybe a Duncan JB. Get a some Fender Vintage Noisless for the Mid and Neck to get rid of that hum.

+1 put a bucker in the bridge..........Fast Eddie Clarke had a killer tone with a bucker in the bridge of his strat.
Quote by Vikingx

Yeah........

Tell that to Dave Murray, Stevie Ray, Jimi Hendrix, Mark Knopfler, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Bob Dylan (yes, he did play one ), and countless others.....

I could go on.

Hotrails, Vintage Rails, or Cool Rails (played a guitar with cool rails, I thought they were more of a bluesy pickup though) in the bridge.

Actually, put a Texas Special in the bridge, and a Vintage Rails in the neck
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
To be quite honest you're not going to get an ideal Angus or Slash tone with single coils, but you'll probably have bearable tones with a Little 59. I'd rather go with a new pickguard and throw a humbucker in the bridge.

Or you can cut the pickguard yourself.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thank you.

If you have a strat, and like strats, and wanna keep your strat - there is no reason to pawn it off and get a Les Paul. Unless you are not happy with your guitar. The same can be said for the opposite situation. I would love to have a Les Paul someday. Just different feel.