hey guys, im trying to figure out what string gauge to get, i play a lot of steve vai, and joe satrianni style music. I currently use 10's would going one size smaller such as 9's be a good idea? thanks.
it's all preference, why does knowing what guage an artist use change anything?
well i just want to try out a different size, and both of those artists are my main influences, and have similar tones/styles. So i was wondering if they tend to use higher or lower gauge strings.
Quote by chickenx5
hey guys, im trying to figure out what string gauge to get, i play a lot of steve vai, and joe satrianni style music. I currently use 10's would going one size smaller such as 9's be a good idea? thanks.

If you're using a 25.5" scale in standard tuning I'd recommend a standard set of 9s, if you're using a 24.75" scale then I'd say 10s.

Adjust for tuning.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
steve vai uses 6's, its really wierd. if you want to play really fast, smaller guages are better...
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
joe satriani uses 10's in his new album but i don't about his other albums.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by jakewynnrocks
steve vai uses 6's, its really wierd. if you want to play really fast, smaller guages are better...
lol wut?
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jakewynnrocks

OMG 6?

You gotta be kiddin me, wouldn't that like, shred your fingers instead of shredding on the fret board?
Dude, your going to get an earful asking questions like this.

It's personal preference.

Just as a heads up.

Don't post "whats better a fender or a gibson?" or "what amp should I buy?" or "wheres the search bar?"...
you dont get 13s just cause SRV used them, that could be a terrible, terrible mistake.
Your supposed to get what your fingers can handle, and what you like the best.
and steve vai uses 9s, i read in guitar world