Page 1 of 2
So my friend have a MG full stack (don't ask) that just broke(duh), and so he decide to threw them out. I, however, thought of something better:

a) take out the speakers and the amp guts
b) Put a blues junior into the bottom cabinet
c) Solder a head jack to a plug. Bolt the jack to the MG input plug. Connect the other end to the Blues Jr
(optional: hook an arduino to make the Marshall head looks cool with LED)
d) Turn on the Blues Jr and Rock on

So what are your thoughts?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I would say the Blues Junior will always look cooler than any MG stack
what?!?
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Why would you want to do that?
It would look cooler to just put the blues Jr on top. Don't even plug it in.
If you think you'll like it better, go for it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Now thats just plain stupid... Why would you want to be seen playing through an MG, even if its just a dummy hooked to a Blues Jr.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Now thats just plain stupid... Why would you want to be seen playing through an MG, even if its just a dummy hooked to a Blues Jr.

agreed.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

a) They don't know MG suck. they just know that there is this cool stack with Marshall on it
b) On the other hand, i am really fond of the voice of my Blues Jr. With the way i tinkered it it is my own sound nowadays
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Well.. in fairness , the majority of people are idiots, and will think your awesome if you have a marshall stack, the other day on x factor diana was surrounded by marshall cabs without heads lol
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Gut the cabs one for storage and one for beer storage and set them up on stage. And for the Blues Jr, just set it beside the stack and mic it up with a fake mic on the the cab. And the head needs to be set on fire and destroyed on video for our leisure.
Yeah, I'd say don't bother modding it in, but gut the cabs and stick em on stage with you. and just set the blues junior beside it.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
If you get famous, you'll be a complete dick to everyone who wants to imitate your tone.

"Oh, he's using a Marshall MG to get that totally sweet tone."
*Buys MG stack*
"I NO CAN HAZ CRUSHING OVERDRIVE?"
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
That's the third dumbest thing I've ever read on UG.

You should do it.
thats just stupid. first of all, why would you even want to drag all the ****e around with you.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by imgooley

You should do it.

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by chea_man
thats just stupid. first of all, why would you even want to drag all the ****e around with you.

You'd be surprised how many artists do the dummy stack thing... Slayer and Yngwie Malmsteen, for example. Also Billy Gibbons.

Also since you have a record real, wanna send me some gear? ?

Please?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
You'd be surprised how many artists do the dummy stack thing... Slayer and Yngwie Malmsteen, for example. Also Billy Gibbons.

Also since you have a record real, wanna send me some gear? ?

Please?

i understand that alot of people do the dummy stack thing, but they do have roadies lol.

and believe me, if i had any gear to spare, i would give it out. almost everything i own is in need of some type or repair or replacement haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Well i assume Mg cabs are pretty light anyway and once you gut the and stuff.

Also I would take since they are free, you could probably sell them at a yard sale or pawn them haha.
Quote by chea_man
i understand that alot of people do the dummy stack thing, but they do have roadies lol.

and believe me, if i had any gear to spare, i would give it out. almost everything i own is in need of some type or repair or replacement haha.

When are you getting a new amp, dude?

Did the heartbreaker work out for you?
Quote by imgooley

You should do it.

I think you should do it if you want to, just to f#@k with people. I played a party one time years ago with this crazy setup of a 100w '79 Marshall pre-amped into a '73 Fender Dual Showman (for teh reverb ) through a massive home made 4X12 w/ 75w Celestions. The funny part was that the entire rig was hidden behind these huge drapes, & I had this little cantaloupe-sized Pignose amp that sat on the floor in front of the drapes with a mic in front of it. Cords everywhere, so no one could see what went where, but it was funny as hell. The main rig was invisible, the lights were down a bit, & nobody could believe the HUGE sound coming from the "Pignose".
God, that was fun.
The trouble with your plan is, as previously noted, that most non-guitar playing people may know that Marshalls are supposedly cool, & have no idea of what good tone is anyway. At least with my setup, the sound was way too big to be believable to ANYONE, but we did such a good job hiding it, even tying down the drapes so the speakers wouldn't move them. Good times.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Gut the cabs one for storage and one for beer storage and set them up on stage. And for the Blues Jr, just set it beside the stack and mic it up with a fake mic on the the cab. And the head needs to be set on fire and destroyed on video for our leisure.

This.

Seriously. With fire and all.

Why would you want ANYONE to think you can get a good tone from that stack. It's almost sacreligious.
Quote by imgooley
When are you getting a new amp, dude?

Did the heartbreaker work out for you?

i will get a new amp when i get my tax refund this coming year.
the heartbreaker is still in the guitar center, so i will get it if its still there then, if not i will be buying one off of ebay, if i cant find one i will get a mesa lonestar classic.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Odds are the head and the cab can't both be broken. Sell what isn't broken, sell 'as is' the stuff that is broken.
Quote by chea_man
i will get a new amp when i get my tax refund this coming year.
the heartbreaker is still in the guitar center, so i will get it if its still there then, if not i will be buying one off of ebay, if i cant find one i will get a mesa lonestar classic.

Awsome. Great amps. God knows we need a really good NAD
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
Odds are the head and the cab can't both be broken. Sell what isn't broken, sell 'as is' the stuff that is broken.

problem is the whole thing is technically 'broken' if you can't get good tone. Those cabs are not the greatest either.

Edit: Cutslikedrugx - actually this is the only 'logical' thing to do. It's probably something wrong with the head, and unless it's an insert jack or a knob, it's prolly not worth fixing unless it's under warranty. Cabs are pretty easy fix - if that is the problem. Not as fun as a youtube video tho showing the Blues Jr and the MG stack in head to head tone combat with the stack ultimatly catching fire. Outside of course. In which case, put a small Raven amp in the Marshall cab or an MG15 even better to play off of.

Where Kevin_Saale?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by mcrfobtai
Awsome. Great amps. God knows we need a really good NAD

yeah, i really hope its still there or i can find one on ebay. it is the only amp that i have ever played that literally blew me away. its everything i want in an amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
first of all this comes as perfect time after the thread of "why do you bring a full stack to a show" haha, guess cause it looks badass ...now your idea is retarded, but id def gut it, sell any parts and just put the blues jr. next to it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by mcrfobtai
The HB or the LS? Weren't you considering a DR. Z amp too?

the HB is my number one choice. the LS is in case i dont come across a heartbreaker. there are a couple of Dr. Zs that i fell in love with, but they lack a couple of features that i need right now. someday i will hopefully have one in my arsenal.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I say you should do it, but you probably don't have to go through all the trouble of setting up a cab to fake people out. Like Riffhog said, you would be best off running a cable under the bottom cab to the blues Jr. and then having another cable plugged into the head and thrown over the top of the head behind the cab so no one would know the difference and just mic up the blues jr.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ok, here's what I would do: leave the speakers in the MG cab, look up the fix for the MG cab, there was a youtube video about how to mod it to get it sounding better. Use the MG cab as a cab for the Bluesjunior and then make it look like the MG head is running.

Word to the wise, though, my ex two girls ago could tell the differance between a good marshall and a cheap marshall on site, and she wasn't too into guitars and stuff... so, it might not work as well as you think... but, marshal halfstacks are chick magnets.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Just keep them so you can knock them over and/or set fire to them at the end of shows, with out actually losing any money in buying a new amp.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by chea_man
the HB is my number one choice. the LS is in case i dont come across a heartbreaker. there are a couple of Dr. Zs that i fell in love with, but they lack a couple of features that i need right now. someday i will hopefully have one in my arsenal.

Good luck with that man!
Quote by mcrfobtai
Good luck with that man!

thanks!!
btw, how is the bandmaster coming along? im dyeing to hear it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yo sell that **** on craigslist to a noob who thinkz he wil be teh k00l cuz he's got teh mershawlzz.

First day he says, " hay teddz, i gawt da mershawlz steck. Rawfloz!!"

6 months later: "****."
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Dude yes. Convert one(or both) of the cabs into a refrigerator, do you know how badass you would look with a Marshall refrigerator.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by chea_man
thanks!!
btw, how is the bandmaster coming along? im dyeing to hear it.

Me too. I neeeeeed I solid american voiced amp.
I bought some preamp tubes from Wes. And I ordered the rest of the preamps, the power tubes and the rectifier tube, along with a Dano Cool Cat Fuzz on sunday. ETA: Friday. Except the rectifier tube is on backorder until the 26th. From there, I need to get it biased, potentially a cap job and a cab. So it's far away, but it's on it's way
Page 1 of 2