Page 1 of 2
i need to write a speech about this by tomorrow. I have enough good ideas to write a speech, but any more you guys could give me would be much appreciated. thanks
First...*drools over TS' pic*...
Internet will soon replace the CD with iTunes Store and such.
Second...
Pirating
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Next...*drools over TS' pic*

Eventually music will be digital. There won't be discs.

Pirates.

Samples.

Publicity for bands.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
what ideas do you already have?

btw i wasted like 25 seconds of my life staring at your avatar just now.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

There was a thread on this a while ago, I posted some good stuff, I thought.

I forget what I said though

EDIT:
So..Can I buy your avatar a drink?
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Oh god...your avatar...argh!!

Ok the internet helped put bands like the jonas brothers out into the world.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Oh god...your avatar...argh!!

Ok the internet helped put bands like the jonas brothers out into the world.

Disney helped those idiots, internet didn't.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
it completely ruined it, it dropped album sales by sooo much with file sharing programs like limewire, napster, kazaa, and it also made it so much harder for bands to make it because now anyone with a drum machine and a guitar can record music and post it online. not to mention causing a surge of music which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it creates so much of the same thing. like what the 80s did to glam metal....
The internet has helped local scenes and music really launch and get off their feet. With sites like myspace it's helped bands get shows, connections, listens, and all that stuff, but that's not really the music industry. You also should include stuff on pirating and digital format.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
The internet helped poeple find new bands, help poeple learn there songs, help bands advertise, thats all i got
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Quote by DirtyMakik
Disney helped those idiots, internet didn't.

According to my Ex, they had videos of them self up on youtube, and were unknown at the time. Disney saw those vids and then all this started to happen.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by StreetLight3989
The internet has helped local scenes and music really launch and get off their feet. With sites like myspace it's helped bands get shows, connections, listens, and all that stuff, but that's not really the music industry. You also should include stuff on pirating and digital format.

Yeah, and it also made the music industry target age brackets that don't download, which tend to be pre-teenager, and post-35. So, what they sign these days sucks.

If I could never hear another Nickelback song, I'd be so happy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by angusfan16
According to my Ex, they had videos of them self up on youtube, and were unknown at the time. Disney saw those vids and then all this started to happen.

Then...f*ck Youtube, it sucks. Except for Mereana Mordegard Glesgorv.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
Then...f*ck Youtube, it sucks. Except for Mereana Mordegard Glesgorv.

Damn straight.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Damn straight.

*Sets a Red Spotlight behind self*

*Stares at angusfan16*

*Grins*

You're Gonna Get R@ped!
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
It also affected the nature of the album. People are less likely to buy and enjoy an album in its entirey now that they can just download singles.
Quote by Melonhead2
It also affected the nature of the album. People are less likely to buy and enjoy an album in its entirey now that they can just download singles.

Yeah. I'm sure convincing an entire generation that they have ADHD didn't help the situation any, either.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Positives: It makes it easier for bands to get their music out there. It's easier for music fans to discover and access lesser known band's music. I wouldn't know half of the bands I do now if it hadn't been for the internet. It's easier to get involved in your local scene.

Negatives: Itunes and music downloads have made the album irrelevant. Now people download single songs, instead of listening to whole albums. Also lose in profits for bands/labels and all the financial ****
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
It's a double-edged sword.

Personally i think it's great that people can put their music on myspace to reach a wider audience when in the past they may not have. Also amateur players like most of us at UG can put our material on the internet and this expands the number of ways that we can enjoy music.

On the other hand though, music piracy is killing the industry and the number of professional bands and musicians may decrease as they cannot make an effective living. Having said that, most bands/musicians get their money from touring and merchandising rather than music sales.
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yeah, and it also made the music industry target age brackets that don't download, which tend to be pre-teenager, and post-35. So, what they sign these days sucks.

If I could never hear another Nickelback song, I'd be so happy.

That's an interesting idea, I haven't looked at it like that.

I agree that interwebs help local bands and get them popular, but the guys that could be mega-millionaires get money stolen from their publishers, who fund their touring, which funds their mansions. Both a positive and negative on musicians, but an altogether awful one for the publishers.
Quote by DirtyMakik
*Sets a Red Spotlight behind self*

*Stares at angusfan16*

*Grins*

You're Gonna Get R@ped!

Not what i was expecting.
Sail upon the open skies
Boobies!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by angusfan16
Not what i was expecting.

You oughta sig that.

Not a lot of people survived Mereana Mordegard Glesgorv!
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 16, 2008,
Limewire etc. ruined music in some peoples eyes..
not mine though.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by element4433
Positives: It makes it easier for bands to get their music out there. It's easier for music fans to discover and access lesser known band's music. I wouldn't know half of the bands I do now if it hadn't been for the internet. It's easier to get involved in your local scene.

Negatives: Itunes and music downloads have made the album irrelevant. Now people download single songs, instead of listening to whole albums. Also lose in profits for bands/labels and all the financial ****

For negatives about the album being irrelevant, I don't see it, maybe in pop music but not in the stuff I listen to. People are still putting out vinyl and I know I still listen to albums all the way through unless I'm in the mood for just a quick couple songs. Also about all the financial BS, I don't think it's that big of a deal to the bands. Most bands are still making more than enough money and really don't need the extra money they'll get from some album sales. If a band is on a smaller label or no label and most of the money is going to them I'm definitely going to buy a CD or Vinyl though. Basically I think the internet hasn't really brought much negative to music at all.

Also yeah, I agree about the whole not knowing half of the music I know today thing. I wouldn't know most of my music if it wasn't for the internet and I wouldn't be half as into my local scene and underground stuff.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by bendystraw
That's an interesting idea, I haven't looked at it like that.

I agree that interwebs help local bands and get them popular, but the guys that could be mega-millionaires get money stolen from their publishers, who fund their touring, which funds their mansions. Both a positive and negative on musicians, but an altogether awful one for the publishers.

The problem is you have to look at it like Darwin's theories about competition. In the old days, even if you had a lot of musicians.. they couldn't all get the same exposure. They'd have to put a lot more effort into getting seen, networking, etc, etc. The internet makes it a little more fair. But if you've got tons and tons of people competing for the same thing, all with the same chance at 'getting out there' and it's going to cause way more problems than if only a few of them got through. Now you've got waves and waves of amateurs putting their music out there, which can and does disillusion a lot of people to it. And, if you're also not giving record companies money so they can finance tours, albums, etc, etc.. then how're you going to see them tour? It's really similar to if you've got a ton of equally equipped animals and a limited amount of resources.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
it completely ruined it, it dropped album sales by sooo much with file sharing programs like limewire, napster, kazaa, and it also made it so much harder for bands to make it because now anyone with a drum machine and a guitar can record music and post it online. not to mention causing a surge of music which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it creates so much of the same thing. like what the 80s did to glam metal....

"Because of people like you who download music, Lars Ulrich will have to wait another month before he can have his gold shark tank bar installed in his swimming pool"

How come you never hear about the underground bands, not already making millions of dollars tear apart file sharing?

If said musician with a drum machine and a guitar is talented and can't happen to find real musicians where they live, all the more power to them.

The internet has made music more accessible, and put more control into the hands of the artists as opposed to the record companies. I download music all the time, and if I really like the able I'll buy it, I'll usually order a shirt too or something. How the hell else I am supposed to listen Ne Obliviscaris, when they're from australia and not even signed to a label, but have x10 more talent/inginuity then the bands bitching about record sales?

I think most bands can be slumped into 2 categories:

a) bands making more then enough money
b) bands whos members have other sources of income because they don't expect to make a living off of music alone.

but i digress..
Last edited by technicolour at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by technicolour
"Because of people like you who download music, Lars Ulrich will have to wait another month before he can have his gold shark tank bar installed in his swimming pool"

How come you never hear about the underground bands, not already making millions of dollars tear apart file sharing?

If said musician with a drum machine and a guitar is talented and can't happen to find real musicians where they live, all the more power to them.

The internet has made music more accessible, and put more control into the hands of the artists as opposed to the record companies. I download music all the time, and if I really like the able I'll buy it, I'll usually order a shirt too or something. How the hell else I am supposed to listen Ne Obliviscaris, when they're from australia and not even signed to a label, but have x10 more talent/inginuity then the bands bitching about record sales?

You heard independent bands complaining all summer long about how they couldn't afford the gas to tour, dude.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You heard independent bands complaining all summer long about how they couldn't afford the gas to tour, dude.

True enough, but that being said, I still do my fair share of supporting. It just seems like the artists doing the major protesting of file downloading are the ones who don't need anymore money, but I guess that's a media coverage thing.
Quote by technicolour
True enough, but that being said, I still do my fair share of supporting. It just seems like the artists doing the major protesting of file downloading are the ones who don't need anymore money, but I guess that's a media coverage thing.

Well, to be honest.. I respect bands like the Mars Volta, Radiohead, and Nine Inch Nails who actively encourage download.

But I've got a lot more respect for Portugal. The Man who does the same, but has no money in the first place.

But, based on my own personal attitude.. I avoid downloading unless I really can't find something or the artist is dead.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
The problem is you have to look at it like Darwin's theories about competition. In the old days, even if you had a lot of musicians.. they couldn't all get the same exposure. They'd have to put a lot more effort into getting seen, networking, etc, etc. The internet makes it a little more fair. But if you've got tons and tons of people competing for the same thing, all with the same chance at 'getting out there' and it's going to cause way more problems than if only a few of them got through. Now you've got waves and waves of amateurs putting their music out there, which can and does disillusion a lot of people to it. And, if you're also not giving record companies money so they can finance tours, albums, etc, etc.. then how're you going to see them tour? It's really similar to if you've got a ton of equally equipped animals and a limited amount of resources.

Well, the truly talented ones seem to be seen, (as Yahtzee said, for example, "putting something out on youtube [or the whole internet for this example] is like throwing a message in a bottle into a sea of messages of bottles") somehow and become popular. More and more people find about this artist and suddenly somebody throws him a record deal. Goodie, the artist will have some cash flow now, but since he became popular on the internet, his album will be stolen by the buys who made him known. very tricky business.

Very hijacked thread.
To each their own.

My originalk point being: I think the internet has brought more good than bad to the musical world.
Quote by bendystraw
Well, the truly talented ones seem to be seen, (as Yahtzee said, for example, "putting something out on youtube [or the whole internet for this example] is like throwing a message in a bottle into a sea of messages of bottles") somehow and become popular. More and more people find about this artist and suddenly somebody throws him a record deal. Goodie, the artist will have some cash flow now, but since he became popular on the internet, his album will be stolen by the buys who made him known. very tricky business.

Very hijacked thread.

It isn't highjacked, it's a valid point. Music has always spread based on word of mouth, but if you're passing on the word of more people, the less likely it is that something good will get signed.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by slash4114
what ideas do you already have?

btw i wasted like 25 seconds of my life staring at your avatar just now.

Only 25? It's impossible to look away.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
It isn't highjacked, it's a valid point. Music has always spread based on word of mouth, but if you're passing on the word of more people, the less likely it is that something good will get signed.

I agree and disagree, many things great are being recognized on the web, but tons more are being buried. That does not mean that it is any more difficult then back in the day, where constant touring was required before even getting noticed by producers.

Bendyedit: Also, only the good things will be spread by word of mouth. The garbage will be clicked away by the next link the listener sees.
It jumped on music's back, forced it to the ground, and had it's way with it violently.

There's your speech.
We're only strays.
Page 1 of 2