Hi all

I recently bought a Seymour Duncan SSL-2 bridge pickup for my cheap Strat copy and I get one problem. The thing is, the old bridge pickup has only 1 wire (red) and my new has 2 wires (black and white). I never expected this.

I don't know what to do with this ! Can I only solder the black wire and let the white one below the pickup without soldering it and everythings gonna be working ?

If it doesn't work like I think then I will buy a Strat loaded pickguard on ebay which has 2 wires per single-coil pickup and solder the SD one.

Thanks in advance
you would have to have both wires man it only works with both soldered. i would go ahead and buy the pickguard.
Alright I will buy a new loaded pickguard with 2 wires on each single-coil. Thanks for the quick answer !
Your old pickup had two wires, too. You just don't know where the other one is.

A pickup with one wire isn't a pickup, it's a wad of wire and magnets. If it worked it had two wires. go back in there and find the other one.

Now maybe the old pickup had a shielded lead, which would look like one fat wire but actually has one wire in the form of a shield that wraps around and keeps noise off the other "hot" lead. But there are two wires. Look at where the original pickup connects to the switch, see if that sheds any light.

No desert for you until you find the other wire.
unless the pickguard has copper or aluminum on the back and it works as a negative on the pickups

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
So if I cut the half of the red wire, there will be two wire inside ? I could take the black and white wire of my SSL-2 and solder them to the half of the red and it could work ?

My pickguard looks like this one:

Thanks.
Quote by taproute
Alright I will buy a new loaded pickguard with 2 wires on each single-coil. Thanks for the quick answer !

No! dont do that!
Like someone said, your old pickups likely had 2 wires coming from them, one the actuall wire and one the wires sheilding.
The pickup will work with only one wire but it will buzz like hell...
Wire the black wire (i think) up to the switch where the old one was and then wire the white wire to the back of the volume pot... Im not sure if i got the wires right but its either that or white to the switch and black to the pot...
Yeah, he's right. There should be two wires. Strip the insulation off the last inch of wire of the one you took out and you should see it provided you don't cut through it.

Take some close-up pictures of your pickguard and post em up.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by guitarcam123
No! dont do that!
Like someone said, your old pickups likely had 2 wires coming from them, one the actuall wire and one the wires sheilding.
The pickup will work with only one wire but it will buzz like hell...
Wire the black wire (i think) up to the switch where the old one was and then wire the white wire to the back of the volume pot... Im not sure if i got the wires right but its either that or white to the switch and black to the pot...

i thought that blacks usually ground, well it was for my pickups...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Easiest way to see if there are two wires. Take one of the old pickups out and look at where the wire(s) connect to the pickups itself.
Okay thanks, later in the day I will unmount it and take some pictures.
Quote by rancidryan
i thought that blacks usually ground, well it was for my pickups...

Probably, i dont know the SD colour codes :S
A look on the SD website diagrams shows their SCs are black to ground and white to hot.
Solder the black to the back of a pot and the white to where the original red wire went.

It's a lot less hassle soldering this one pickup in than a 'loaded' pickguard. The ground wire to the bridge and wires to the input would have to soldered if you changed pickguards whereas this is less involved.

Look at the SD site, note in the support>faqs>installation and tech tips where it says its pickups are magnetically opposite to fenders. With yours being a copy that might not be the case but you can just swap the neck and middle pups if it is to cancel the hum.

Any more questions just ask.
hth
Thanks bellerophon for the links and your advise I will do it tonight and will update the thread !
Last edited by taproute at Dec 19, 2008,
I could not have made it without you guys ! It works really well with a damn good sound ! Really happy You were right bellerophon about the opposite magnetic, got no problem with this. Big thanks for your help guys !!!