Alright, first off this is not an excuse for anyone to go off on a political or religious tangent. There will be none of that.

Basically, I'm writing my final essay for my ethics class about gay marriage. The problem is that I need one more argument for my side. (I'm supporting homosexuals right to marriage)

The catch: it has to be a real MORAL reason. Anything to do with politics or religion won't work. Also, it would be great if you could relate it to one of the major schools of ethical theory i.e. utilitarianism, Kantian ethics, or contract theory.

Its probably asking too much of the simple pit dwellers, but I figured I would give it a try.
I yam what I yam
what is morally wrong with marrying the person you love.. twist that into a point you hippy!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Oh I recently wrote an essay about this, but I sided against it.

What reasons do you already have?
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
So you're saying that religion is not a moral reason? To religious people, their religion is generally the basis of their morals, no?
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
I consider the idea that everyone should have equal rights a "moral" issue.

So you're saying that religion is not a moral reason? To religious people, their religion is generally the basis of their morals, no?

the bible is not moral
Quote by Hagane1340

You are implying that people give a flying fuck about your religion when deciding to spend their lives together.
Generally wouldn't equal rights be utilitarian? I don't know much about it but seems that way at first glance.
say marriage is gay .. point proven

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by Spamwise

the bible is not moral

That's a very powerful argument with a lot of evidence there.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
True love shouldn't be restricted by the law?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Hagane1340

Well mainly you base your morals off your society and parents, which are usually based off of religion. But you can also formulate your own morals from past experiences.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
So far I have that preventing them from being married denies them of a what is usually considered an inalienable right, and therefore treats them as separate from other sentient humans, ergo violating their Kantian rights. (sorry if that's a bit complicated)

The other argument I have is that, much with the civil rights movement of the 1960s, the opponents seem to be stuck in an antiquated mindframe, preventing any real progress of society.

Any suggestions would be nice.
I yam what I yam
Say that everyone is entitled to love, no matter sexuality, and that marriage is an inherit aspect of love.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Utilitarian - equality promotes social harmony and removes division creating a greater amount of happinses

Kantian - 'Homosexuals should not be able to marry' is an illogical categorical imperative.

universafiable : If we universalise the imperative 'homosexuals must not marry' to 'homosexuals must never marry' then we create a logical contradiction: The institution of 'homosexual marriage' would not exist and so the idea of denying it would be illogical.

'Treating people as an end in themselves' (for the second formulation you need to know the intent of the party that wants to stop homosexuals marrying and then you try to say that they are treating homosexuals as a means to an end, not an end in themselves'

I can barely remember kant.

Anyway, philosophy thread.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Hagane1340

Aye, but religion is not applicable to everyone.

Also, thanks for the utilitarian suggestion, I might go with that.
I yam what I yam