Im thinking of selling my mg50dfx and taking some extra funds and getting a new amp. In total ill probly be around 450 price range MAYBE 500 if im lucky. My question is will that price range give me anything better than what i currently have? I dont gig, but my roomate might be getting a drum set so the amp might need alittle ass to cut through the drums.

My problem with the amp is the distortion has so much clipping its rediculous and it doesnt really have a wide range of sound.

You guys have any suggestions that might give me some better sound?
Peavey vypyr
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Sounds like a Classic 30 could be right up you alley. Traynor YCV50, Crate V series, and a Peavey Delta Blues would work just as well.
Quote by The Willy
Maybe a valveking 112.

personally coming from the owner of a valveking... I say no. But try it out.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Raijouta
Rock, blues rock, some heavy -> see a Crate V50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

LOLZ thats awesome! i was actually looking at one of those a while back but i convinced my self for a while that i NEED a tube amp, i just dont think thats the case anymore. I dont want to have to crank the heck out of it and piss the nieghbors off when i want to practice.

so i just looked on guitar center and musicians friend and i cant find that model. do you all know where else to look?
Last edited by jskeezy84 at Dec 16, 2008,
The Crate V50 is all-tube and you don't need to crank the heck out of it...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
oh.... the guy at the guitar store said if i want decent tone from a tube amp i had to crank it. im still new at all this.
Can you go used?
If so
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Ultra
Crate Palomino

if not
Crate V-series
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Vypyr
Quote by jskeezy84
oh.... the guy at the guitar store said if i want decent tone from a tube amp i had to crank it.

You only have to crank it if you want tube breakup although with most amps you really hit the sweet spot when it's cranked - that's not to say tube amps sound like crap when not cranked. More than likely he was trying to get you to buy something given your newness.

I don't trust salespeople at big box stores for that exact reason.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
when i went to the store he was showing me the peavey vyper i was pretty impressed with all the variaty build in.
Quote by jskeezy84
oh.... the guy at the guitar store said if i want decent tone from a tube amp i had to crank it. im still new at all this.

Well, he was wrong, to an extent. They sound BETTER when you crank them, but are still very good at low volumes
There is no all tube version. just hybrid and SS. They are decent but at 500 you can do much better. Especially if you go used
Quote by Artemis Entreri
personally coming from the owner of a valveking... I say no. But try it out.

Valvekings arent the greatest tube amps on the market. =] Actually, they're probably just the cheapest.
Quote by jskeezy84

I would recommend the 60 watt Hybrid, unfortunately it's not out yet and I don't know anyone who has played one. Because of the delays, I will be real sceptical as to build quality. I guess I'm not a Vypyr fan and I've tried one 3 times now. I'll keep trying.

Highwaytohell has a good list going. What is your closest major city? Also, I personally would be shockd if you can find any of the Crate Vs. Let me know if you do.