So i was wondering a stupid question in class cuz i was bored and thought is it possible to run out of riffs to make up?Like you think in your head a make up a riff but then it turns out that a band used it?Like al the riff ideas were used up or somthing.Get what im saying?I was just wondering that in class.........
well, there are 12 notes, hundreds of different scales, and a huge amount of different rhythms. Even if the pattern is the same there are that many ways to make it different you shouldn't run out of original ideas.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
If it can be of an infinite length, it is impossible to copy someone exactly
but realistically, we will at some point in an incredibly freaking long time, run out of riffs
but by that point, all the riffs of today will be forgotten, and so they could be recycled
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
No because there is so much that can be changed about the notes. Not including pitch, you can change note duration, major or minor key, chord progression, types of arpegiation, minor scale types, modes, and much more.

And that's just for our type of music. There are hundreds of other stuff like German and Russian scales..
Quote by Siege of Power
If it can be of an infinite length, it is impossible to copy someone exactly
but realistically, we will at some point in an incredibly freaking long time, run out of riffs
but by that point, all the riffs of today will be forgotten, and so they could be recycled

exactly...I've thought about the same thing. As well as band names.
the way you pick notes to can make riffs sound different to
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Technically speaking, if you incorporate microtones, every riff is unique
If i play a riff, then play the same riff except with one note bent slightly (a microtone) then technically its a different from the previous riff. With infinite degrees of sharpness or flatness, there are an infinite number of riffs
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
Technically speaking, if you incorporate microtones, every riff is unique
If i play a riff, then play the same riff except with one note bent slightly (a microtone) then technically its a different from the previous riff. With infinite degrees of sharpness or flatness, there are an infinite number of riffs

That's the final answer.
Maybe many many many many many(X1000000000000000000000000000000000000) years from now there will be no more riffs to possibly be written
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Toolfan11
Maybe many many many many many(X1000000000000000000000000000000000000) years from now there will be no more riffs to possibly be written

i was going to say that but i realized we;re not going tolast that lo
EDIT: my computer keys gott sticky, "i was going tosay tat but i realized we're not going to last that long"
Last edited by stratdud39 at Dec 16, 2008,
It can turn out sounding like another band sometimes but most times it will sound different because everyone plays with a different style unique to each player. But most times you are gonna sound at least somewhat like your influences meaning that my riffs may always sound GNR or Motley Crueish.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by danohat
Kid Rock ran out of riffs a long time.

I think hes run out of genres to play in too
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
If we haven't done that yet with the thousands of guitar players out there i don't think we ever will. A single riff can be played hundreds of different ways.