After about the 7th fret I can't remeber my guitar isnt here with me. I have trouble doing the 5 string and 6 string Minor and Major Barre Chords shapes. My guitar is a Jackson Dinky so is just because the neck is really thin or will I be able to barre chords on other guitars much easier? This is my first guitar and I've not even touched another so this is why i'm wondering? Also what could I do to make sure my fingers dont barre too many frets?
how long have you been playing?
at first barre chords will seem impossible because you have to use your index finger to fret all the strings at once. don't worry just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it. if it helps try rolling your finger and curving it just a little bit to ease the tension you feel.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
o_O, I would have thought barre chords on the first fret would be the ardest >_>
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by KennethJay
o_O, I would have thought barre chords on the first fret would be the ardest >_>

well after going up the fret board the neck starts getting wider and you have to reach farther to fret properly.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
no i can barre chords in the in 1st fret to 7th fret are JUST FINE after the 7th fret meaning in the 8th-22nd fret range I have trouble barring because the frets are TOOO CLOSE is it because of my guitar or because of me? This is my first guitar its a Jackson and they are known for having notoriously thin necks
Quote by amd123
no i can barre chords in the in 1st fret to 7th fret are JUST FINE after the 7th fret meaning in the 8th-22nd fret range I have trouble barring because the frets are TOOO CLOSE is it because of my guitar or because of me? This is my first guitar its a Jackson and they are known for having notoriously thin necks

More than the thickness of your neck your scale length might have an affect here, especially if you're starting off. It will invariably be harder on a shorter scale length as the fret space is a little limited. But you know, after a few hard hours of practice your fingers start doing weird things and after few weeks of playing your fingers will adjust. Just keep at it. Play some songs meant for open position using barre chords on the higher frets. Really, all you have to do is keep at it.
Play the chords in a different voicing. Rather than playing a 10th fret E-shape D major chord, play a 5th fret A-shape chord. The difference in sound is really quite minimal.