...and my mum asked me if there are any musical instruments or apparatus that I 'need' for both my learning and interests. Now, there are plenty of things I 'want' but how do I convince her they're something I 'need?'

I've been looking at getting a decent mic for recording, which is easy to argue. However, if I want a better electric than what I have (it's a crappy strat remake) then I'm going to need some kind of explanation.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Explanation? It's your freaking birthday and it's almost Christmas.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Just tell her that you really can't record on that crappy strat. Give her very technical terms like fret indentation and does say in tune. That is what I did you stun them with stats and big words and she be buying you a Les Paul in no time.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
Quote by mreed1990
Just tell her that you really can't record on that crappy strat. Give her very technical terms like fret indentation and does say in tune. That is what I did you stun them with stats and big words and she be buying you a Les Paul in no time.

Big words work, trust me. Thats how I managed to get my parents to get me a MIM Telecaster for Christmas.
?!
My guitar sucks sweaty nasty balls
please get me a new one

works every time
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
my big words worked, my mom was gonna buy me an ibanez GE-7 Delay/Echo, but i talked her into a 200$ Boss DD-7 Digital Delay.I used big words like. Feedback control and Delay Time Control and better quality parts and sutff. but for you I'd just say i can't record with it becuase the pckups on the guitar are weak and you need more powerful guitar
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
say the strings on your old one broke
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by bass-boy-garith
well done mr. kiss my bass, well done
Quote by kiss my bass
say the strings on your old one broke

clever.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

My birthday was last Friday. My girlfriend bought me a new Danelectro. I was blown the fuck away. I love Danelectros and couldn't believe she did that.

On topic, tell her what's wrong with the guitar. Tell her it has poor tone, was good to learn on but you need something better as you're getting better, make up something that is wrong with it, etc.
Get creative
DOWN&OUT
Say "How wlse am I gonna get laid?"
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R