Hi

I'm usually an electric player, but when I'm playing in my church worship band (please no comments on this, this is not the right forum) I increasingly find myself in situations when I could really do with an acoustic, whether that be because the acoustic player is not around, or it would suit the song better.

So I'm looking for an acoustic. Nothing too fancy, up to about the £500 mark, maybe a bit over, but less would be nice. Basically good value for money.

I like a nice bright tone, same as with when I play electric, and it would need to be electro-acoustic.

I'm thinking six strings, although I;ve played a 12 a few times and lked it, and might make a bit of a contrast to our usual 6 string player.

The main thing i want to emphasise though is a bright tone. I really can't stand muddy or bassy acoustics.

Oh, and being an electric player, I like my action pretty low.

So, any suggestions?

Any responses much appreciated.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
Hi

I'm usually an electric player, but when I'm playing in my church worship band (please no comments on this, this is not the right forum) I increasingly find myself in situations when I could really do with an acoustic, whether that be because the acoustic player is not around, or it would suit the song better.

So I'm looking for an acoustic. Nothing too fancy, up to about the £500 mark, maybe a bit over, but less would be nice. Basically good value for money.

I like a nice bright tone, same as with when I play electric, and it would need to be electro-acoustic.

I'm thinking six strings, although I;ve played a 12 a few times and lked it, and might make a bit of a contrast to our usual 6 string player.

The main thing i want to emphasise though is a bright tone. I really can't stand muddy or bassy acoustics.

Oh, and being an electric player, I like my action pretty low.

So, any suggestions?

Any responses much appreciated.

First, I am still a newb on this site, but I have seen a few people talk about their personla lives as church goers or worship singers, so assuming people would attack you is kind of asinine (imho)

Second, If you look at the stickies there is a great article on the top $300 or less guitars...that would be a start, also, as many will tell you, the best thing you can do is go to your local guitar or music store and play some in your price range. Or check your local classifieds.

But really, you can not go wrong with a yamaha. :-)
500 pounds is about 780 American dollars, which doesn't mean too much because we get guitars a lot cheaper, but that still puts you in the range of nice solid wood Takamine EG460SC NEX Cutaway. The only complaint I have heard or read is that it is too bright for some people, but most people seem to think it is pretty well balanced.
Oh no, not another one of those good-natured church musicians. Don't get me going...

I kid... As for guitars, keep an eye out for Blueridge guitars, if they're available in the UK. Guitar center often carries them and they sound GREAT (and are in your price range too).
Don't worry, this isn't the pit. Many of us around here are church goers as well(myself included).

Playing at church, you'll want electronics of some sort. You can probably get a nice Seagull or Epiphone Masterbilt for that price w/ electronics.

As for 12 string guitars, you could probably get a Takamine G series 12 string. 12 string acoustics are always a bit harder to play, but it'll help your overall guitaring in the end if you go with a 12 string because it'll improve your finger strength.

Action is completely adjustable, so don't look for action, so much as playability. The shape and size of the neck contribute greatly to the comfort of the guitar. A guitar with good playability might still have high action, but still be quite easy to play. My Art & Lutherie is an example of this. The action is a little high(5mm's at the 12th fret), but is still comfortable.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
for 500 pounds you can definitely get a pretty decent acoustic.
for brightness you probably want to look for spruce tops. i would goto a guitar store and try stuff out. personally i would recommend takamines, but there are alot of other good ones and its all up to preference and feel.
thanks for all the responses. they've all been helpful.

the only guitar shop near me only sells cheap crap, as is the way in the uk nowadays unfortunately, but some time after christmas i'm gonna be heading up to denmark street in london to try some stuff out, and its great to now have somewhere to start from with all these suggestions.

i know youtube sound quality isnt great, but the takamines i've heard on there sound really nice, and i seem to remember knowing someone once who had a takamine which i think sounded pretty sweet.

thanks again

may post again for nyone who's interested in what i end up buying.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100