I'm buying a used Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKI head and I need a budget 2x12 cab to use for a couple years until I may decide to upgrade. I found a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab used for 400 bucks, but I'm also looking at buying a new avatar or lopoline cab. If I go with lopoline I'll probably go with vintage 30's but if I go with avatar what would be a sweet speaker combination? I play many types of music, mainly modern stuff, from Brand New to Incubus to the Devil Wears Prada, I want cleans to sound bright but I need to get some low end open d heavy sounds also. Suggestions? Also any cool color suggestions? haha
well if your willing to buy that mesa cab, then i would do it. i love mesa cabs, even for cleans.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well what I'm trying to figure out, cause I don't know much about cabs is how can the cabs sound that much different if they have the same speakers?
Quote by thursdayvince08
Well what I'm trying to figure out, cause I don't know much about cabs is how can the cabs sound that much different if they have the same speakers?

Basically how well a cab is built, and the materials used for it.
With a good cab, you don't need to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze7-zhkx-4
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I like your influences, and I myself share those influences.
I'm gonna get a Peavey Triple XXX and run it through a Avatar 2x12.
About your speaker problem, V30's are all around great.
I myself, am going for 2 Celestion Gold's. =]
Hope this helped. lul
the guy on craigs still hasn't emailed me back about that recto and i can't find any others so if he doesn't i'm probably gonna go with lopoline cause i've read a few sites saying they are better than avatar. i would love to get an avatar cause the modern is a little cheaper than the lipoline signature but whatever, i'll pay 40 extra for better tone.
Recto cab would be best, but Lopoline makes awesome cabs.

I have one similar to the second one you linked (except mine has Eminence Texas Heats) and the removable grille is awesome for recording. They're also built better than Avatars are imo. My 2x12 is louder than my 4x12, sounds just as "big" and is easily as tight.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Matrix, are Lopoline cabs really good? Like better than Marshall, Mesa or similarly priced cabs? Or are they just a step above Avatar or something.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Matrix, are Lopoline cabs really good? Like better than Marshall, Mesa or similarly priced cabs? Or are they just a step above Avatar or something.

Yeah, tell us more...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by RG_FANMAN

Better than Marshall, I'd say so. Mesa, that's a different story.

They're good, but Mesa makes great cabs, in their price range used, there's not much you can find that will beat one.

My Lopo is built very sturdy though. It's front-loaded with the removable grille, which I really like. You can remove the grille like on a Krank cab, which allows MUCH easier positioning of the mic, and you can get closer to the speaker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
So if I had the choice between a Mesa and a Lopoline, and getting the best sound quality for a live performance and a recording session, would Mesa be better?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
So if I had the choice between a Mesa and a Lopoline, and getting the best sound quality for a live performance and a recording session, would Mesa be better?

In general, yes.

I chose my Lopo over a Mesa because V30s sounded horrible with my Nitro, whereas Texas Heats sounded godly Plus, I got my Lopo, new, for $250 I believe it was.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
wow, that's like a 100 buck less than the new price? how'd that happen?

but I was curious since I'm looking into a 4x12 for my Mesa so I can leave that at my jam space and have my 2x12 at home. That way I can use my DC for jamming as opposed to a portable combo amp that sounds...a little lacking for what I want. I'm tempted to either get a Mesa 4x12 used or a JCM 800 4x12 used.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
wow, that's like a 100 buck less than the new price? how'd that happen?

but I was curious since I'm looking into a 4x12 for my Mesa so I can leave that at my jam space and have my 2x12 at home. That way I can use my DC for jamming as opposed to a portable combo amp that sounds...a little lacking for what I want. I'm tempted to either get a Mesa 4x12 used or a JCM 800 4x12 used.

They were on sale and I think they've gone up a little since I bought mine

If the Mesa is close to the Marshall in price, the Mesa is a much better choice, especially for your amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com