Virbrato- In terms of what they actually do, I don't understand. I read what it's supposedly does, but I can't find a sound example.

Tremolo- I know what this sounds like, but I don't what it's supposed to be. Can anyone tell me the short skinny?

The Difference between Drive, and Gain. The Difference between Sweep Echo, and Tape Echo.

Phaser- I honestly don't understand what this is supposed to do.

Chorus/Flange- I also don't understand this one.

Thank you in advance.
Vibrato means rapidly changing the pitch of the note - think of a violinist, or if you use your whammy bar really quickly with short bursts (don'tbash it all the way down).

Tremolo rapidly changes the volume, so it mixes softer and louer notes.

I think of chorus as a bunch of other guitars singing with you. Or any instrument really - think Bohemian Rhapsody vocals.

Phaser is "the swirly" and Flanger is "playing the guitar through an electric fan". I can't describe it better than that, just look up clips on youtube.

And sorry, can't help you with the other ones.
I don't use a whammy bar, would it be safe to say when you bend up and down really quickly, or when you slide up and down a fret quickly? (Nothing personal, I don't like guitar's with Whammy Bars, and I prefer bending much more. Or at least I think that's what the whammy bar was supposed to do? Either way it gets in my way)
Quote by AfroRockerMike
I don't use a whammy bar, would it be safe to say when you bend up and down really quickly, or when you slide up and down a fret quickly? (Nothing personal, I don't like guitar's with Whammy Bars, and I prefer bending much more. Or at least I think that's what the whammy bar was supposed to do? Either way it gets in my way)

Exactly, when you bend a note really quickly (and not full bends usually); that's the way I prefer too. Sliding up and down a fret doesn't really make much difference, because the string stops vibrating at the fret itself, but the first way is vibrato.
well sliding very rapidly on a fret will give you a vibrato, but it's a little different and not as pronounced as the bending technique. it's more subtle.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
you know the thing at the top of the forum that says "Read Before Posting or Get Banned?" well next time you should ****ing reading it. it answers at least half your questions.

the only question i see that isnt in there reguards gain vs drive and types of echo. well the difference between gain and drive, is well nothing really. gain is nothing more than an increase in signal strength, and thats pretty much what drive is. most people use them as an indicator of the level of distorted-ness of a sound. a high gain amp is more distorted and more metal sounding. a low gain amp has a lower level of distortion (or overdrive) and is more associated with that touch of breakup associated with bluesy stuff. then theres anything in between. but basicly, it can either refer to the increase in signal level or how much the signal is distorted.

as for the echo types, tape echo is when the sound is recorded via a tape on a loop, then played back later. this was the original way to create a delay effect, and is very warm because of the imperfect nature of tape recording/playback. ive never heard of sweep echo though.
Quote by AfroRockerMike

technically, true vibrato, in the text book definition, is a variation in pitch in which you have your main pitch and you drop it lower. going higher (bending) isnt really vibrato. the only way you can really do it is to start on a lower fret and bend up to the pitch, then apply the bending technique.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.