Ok i think im going to start working on a song soon

and its going to be in the key of E

And i want it too have a pretty good solo..

so i was wondering if im in the key of E can i solo over any scale as long its and

E scale?

So can i be soloing in E major scale and then switch to a E penatonic and E ionian etc.

Thanks..

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
YES!

Also, E major's first mode is E Ionian.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by allislost
YES!

Thanks the Ionian is like my favorite scale lol

Quote by mattman93

Youtube
The simple answer is no and the complex answer is yes. You're thinking correctly in that your scale must use E as the root.

You can get away with pretty much any note if you know what you're doing, even if it is out of key. It is incredibly common to play a G note over an E major progression, and G is the minor third of E!

Posting the chord progression or riff over which you will be soloing would be very helpful. If you post a tab, please put it in code, though. If you don't know how to code, quote this post and find out.

This is code:
e-----
B-----
G-----
D-----
A-----
E-----

In the meantime, learn your theory so you can answer these questions on your own. We can help you to a point, but you'll eventually pass that and have to deal with issues on your own (we're not being assholes, it's just too complex for anyone but the performer or composer to analyze). I suggest reading the theory link in my sig. Ask questions; you will have some. However, please be specific. "I don't get it," doesn't help us at all. If you don't get something, quote that sentence or paragraph.

~Sue
Quote by killerscorpion
Thanks the Ionian is like my favorite scale lol

yeah the ionian is very popular scale.
its also known as the major scale. (because technically "ionian" is a mode.)

i dont know if you know anything about modes, but if you have any questions id be happy to help you with them.
and i know of some really good lessons on modes
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by allislost
This has absolutely nothing to do with modal playing.

Killerscorpion, musicTHEORYnerd and allislost are known for not knowing much. Please ignore what they say unless it's confirmed my someone like me or Archeo Avis or GuitarMunky or a mod (sorry to those I've excluded, but I can only list so many!) or it's confirmed in that lesson in my sig, the lessons in Freepower's sig, or the Crusade articles.

This is code:
E|---------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------|
G|--5--555------2-2-2----------------------|
D|--5--555-----2-2-2-2--3-333-35-555-|
A|--3--333--0-------------3-333-35-555-|
e|---------------------------1-111-13-333-|

yes i know that f g an c are supposed to be f#m g#m and C#m but its still the same thing right

Really i should be in the key of c right?

Note: im note sure if this is going to be the exact riff

Quote by mattman93

Youtube
That's definitely not in E anything. With those ascending F5 and G5 powerchords at the end, you could make the song easily resolve to C or Am, whichever you prefer.

I'm at least assuming those are powerchords and you screwed up the alignment (alignment is hard). If not, then I'll have to give this some thought, but at a glance, it would be in C major and the C natural major scale (C D E F G A B) would be appropriate.

Edit: Upon quoting the post, those are definitely powerchords, so Am and C would be the possibilities. Did you screw up the alignment, or are there really not supposed to be A5 powerchords in the riff?

Quote by killerscorpion
yes i know that f g an c are supposed to be f#m g#m and C#m but its still the same thing right
No. There is a huge difference and you'll find out very soon if you read any of those theory lessons I suggested.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's definitely not in E anything. With those ascending F5 and G5 powerchords at the end, you could make the song easily resolve to C or Am, whichever you prefer.

I'm at least assuming those are powerchords and you screwed up the alignment (alignment is hard). If not, then I'll have to give this some thought, but at a glance, it would be in C major and the C natural major scale (C D E F G A B) would be appropriate.

Edit: Upon quoting the post, those are definitely powerchords, so Am and C would be the possibilities. Did you screw up the alignment, or are there really not supposed to be A5 powerchords in the riff?

No. There is a huge difference and you'll find out very soon if you read any of those theory lessons I suggested.

yea i messed up alignment

Quote by mattman93

Youtube
Quote by bangoodcharlote
This has absolutely nothing to do with modal playing.

Killerscorpion, musicTHEORYnerd and allislost are known for not knowing much. Please ignore what they say unless it's confirmed my someone like me or Archeo Avis or GuitarMunky or a mod (sorry to those I've excluded, but I can only list so many!) or it's confirmed in that lesson in my sig, the lessons in Freepower's sig, or the Crusade articles.

i havent said anything to you in a while, and i was trying to STOP argueing with you.

AND you realize everything i said in my post was correct?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd

i havent said anything to you in a while, and i was trying to STOP argueing with you.

AND you realize everything i said in my post was correct?

Don't argue with her. She'll just try to diminish you credibility by telling everyone her incredibly boring life story and using her school name(or names of schools) to imply that she's always right and everyone else is always wrong no matter what, which happens to be in violation of forum rules.

And to clarify what i said. In relating to the guitar and guitar only, the tones of the 1st octave of any E major scale match the same tones of E ionian. This is not about modal playing, but about the obviousness of both E major And E ionian in relationship to the guitar fretboard.

Last edited by allislost at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by allislost
Don't argue with her. She'll just try to diminish [your] credibility by...using her school name to imply that she's always right and everyone else is always wrong no matter what
I use my school's name? Please tell me where I go to school via PM. Since I want my actual school to remain off the record, on the QT, and very hush hush (see avatar), I will not tell you if you're correct in public.

I'll even make it easy and post a list of everywhere I applied:

Columbia-Accepted
Duke-Accepted
Maryland-Accepted
MIT-Waitlisted and rejected over the summer
Penn State and PSU Honors-Accepted
Pitt-Accepted
Princeton-Accepted
Stanford-Accepted from the waitlist during the summer when I had already committed to my current institution, but I hate their trimester system, anyway
UPenn-Rejected outright (bastards!)
Vanderbilt-Accepted from the waitlist after a few days
Yale-Accepted

How I got into Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Vandy, and Duke, yet rejected by UPenn still has me confused, but I'm quite happy to not be living in Philly.

I'm not entirely sure why I listed places who rejected me, but maybe it will confuse you and lead you to answer incorrectly.

Quote by allislost
which happens to be in violation of forum rules.
Posting accurate information and leading those wanting to learn away from inaccurate/misleading information is a violation of the rules? Please find that rule and show it to me and I'll be happy to obey.

As for Nerd, you lack credibility. Your post isn't outright wrong, but to bring up modes for no reason only leads to chaos as modes are not intro topics of music theory and are incredibly hard to understand without a solid background in the basic material such as the major scale and chord construction.

Now, you two, stop fucking around in the forums and PM me if you take offense to something I say.

Scorpion, is there anything I can help you with?

As promised, the tab has been fixed. Aligning the numbers is a bitch (that's not directed to anyone).

e|-------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------|
G|--5--555--2-2-2-2--------------------------|
D|--5--555--2-2-2-2-----3-333-35-555---------|
A|--3--333--0-----------3-333-35-555---------|
E|----------------------1-111-13-333---------|
One comment about your tab: the low E string is typically capitalized while the high E is lowercase. This isn't nearly as bad as people who invert the tab entirely, but it does cause an instant of confusion, and the whole point of writing music is to make it as easy as possible to read, without sacrificing the music, of course.

Is that tab correct?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I use my school's name? Please tell me where I go to school via PM. Since I want my actual school to remain off the record, on the QT, and very hush hush (see avatar), I will not tell you if you're correct in public.

Columbia-Accepted
Duke-Accepted
Maryland-Accepted
Pitt-Accepted
Princeton-Accepted
Stanford-Accepted from the waitlist during the summer when I had already committed to my current institution, but I hate their trimester system, anyway
Yale-Accepted

How I got into Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Vandy, and Duke, yet rejected by UPenn still has me confused, but I'm quite happy to not be living in Philly.

I'm not entirely sure why I listed places who rejected me, but maybe it will confuse you and lead you to answer incorrectly.

Posting accurate information and leading those wanting to learn away from inaccurate/misleading information is a violation of the rules? Please find that rule and show it to me and I'll be happy to obey.

As for Nerd, you lack credibility. Your post isn't outright wrong, but to bring up modes for no reason only leads to chaos as modes are not intro topics of music theory and are incredibly hard to understand without a solid background in the basic material such as the major scale and chord construction.

Now, you two, stop fucking around in the forums and PM me if you take offense to something I say.

Scorpion, is there anything I can help you with?

As promised, the tab has been fixed. Aligning the numbers is a bitch (that's not directed to anyone).

e|-------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------|
G|--5--555--2-2-2-2--------------------------|
D|--5--555--2-2-2-2-----3-333-35-555---------|
A|--3--333--0-----------3-333-35-555---------|
E|----------------------1-111-13-333---------|
One comment about your tab: the low E string is typically capitalized while the high E is lowercase. This isn't nearly as bad as people who invert the tab entirely, but it does cause an instant of confusion, and the whole point of writing music is to make it as easy as possible to read, without sacrificing the music, of course.

Is that tab correct?

bangoodcharlotte i honestly think you have "attention seeking" problems.
you need to stop showing off to all the schools youve gotten in to, because i seriously doubt ANYONE in this thread gives a crap about you OR your schools.
ive been trying to be nice to you, but you just continue to treat me, and anyone who trys to defend me like ****.

EDIT: and you said i brought up modes for "no reason", when in the 3rd post the TS said he likes the "ionian scale".
if you knew your music theory, you would know "Ionian" is a mode.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Columbia-Accepted
Duke-Accepted
Maryland-Accepted
Pitt-Accepted
Princeton-Accepted
Yale-Accepted

Posting accurate information and leading those wanting to learn away from inaccurate/misleading information is a violation of the rules?

No, but all the above is completely off-topic and incredibly useless in matters relating to this thread.

I'm histrionic? That's amusing; anything flashy I do is something I've done because it will benefit me. Have I hit 360 jump shots while jumping over a defender? Yes, I did that once, but my leg got hit as I jumped and the collision spun me around, so I had no choice but to complete the revolution and hit the shot before I landed, lest I draw a travel! Are my guitar solos fast and impressive sounding? The impressive part of that is subjective, but the general consensus is yes. However, I do that because it fits the music I play. Do I wear make up? Well, yes, but find me a 21-year-old college girl who doesn't and is attractive. It's not as if I look like someone out of Twisted Sister, anyway.

I would not categorize me as histrionic.

Quote by allislost
No, but all the above is completely off-topic and incredibly useless in matters relating to this thread.
So I appropriately ripped you apart and then posted something relevant to the thread. I see no problem.

Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
EDIT: and you said i brought up modes for "no reason", when in the 3rd post the TS said he likes the "ionian scale".
if you knew your music theory, you would know "Ionian" is a mode.
Of course Ionian is a mode! That's the point! There's no reason to even hint at modal playing when discussing something based in the key of E (well...C or Am according to that tab), changing scales as one solos over a chord progression or riff.
i made a post, and then deleted it because i actually want to stay un-banned.

i am just going to never say anything to you again, and hopefully you will just go away like a stinky fart in the wind.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm histrionic? That's amusing; anything flashy I do is something I've done because it will benefit me. Have I hit 360 jump shots while jumping over a defender? Yes, I did that once, but my leg got hit as I jumped and the collision spun me around, so I had no choice but to complete the revolution and hit the shot before I landed, lest I draw a travel! Are my guitar solos fast and impressive sounding? The impressive part of that is subjective, but the general consensus is yes. However, I do that because it fits the music I play. Do I wear make up? Well, yes, but find me a 21-year-old college girl who doesn't and is attractive. It's not as if I look like someone out of Poison, anyway.

I would not categorize me as histrionic.

I see you have trouble following forum rules. Post as off-topic as you want then, set the example of how personal issues can affect you in many many ways...

Quote by bangoodcharlote
So I appropriately ripped you apart

By calling yourself unattractive? Trust me... Poison is something you should aim for...

I don't know the rhythm you're playing, and that can make a difference, but upon finally playing that riff on my guitar, C is a much better resolution than Am.

Edit: Yup, clearly going away and hoping I leave. Maybe I've just underestimated how much men, especially teenaged boys, know about women, but every woman who cares about her appearance wears make up. It's not to disguise a flaw (well, sometimes), but rather to enhance what is already pretty damn good. A woman who does not wear make up does not care about her appearance and is not going to be good looking. I don't condone near-theater levels of make up, but don't be stupid, guys.
Quote by allislost
I see you have trouble following forum rules. Post as off-topic as you want then, set the example of how personal issues can affect you in many many ways...

By calling yourself unattractive? Trust me... Poison is something you should aim for...

you pwn
hahahahaha
+111
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Christ. I'm disappointed about the fact that this immature behavior would be found in MT. Grow the **** up people.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??