Hey guys. I own a mesa triple rectifier and have a rack with a lexicon mx200, bbe sonic maximizer and an old dbz parametric eq. I am willing to spend all of the money i need to to get that ball busting heavy metal tone. I was thinking about switching out the 6l6's for el34's. any advice is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by rjh2092 at Dec 16, 2008,
i know i can its just how. I want that tight balls to the wall sound and heavy like grr
Recto's are tricky to dial in - take out your rack EQ and mess around with the knobs on your amp till you find something you like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Tight? Rectos don't do "tight"

Try out some ENGL's, Diezel's, Bogner etc.
If you really want a tight sound, ENGL's probabl the way to go. Tons of gain too
i really want like an avenged sevenfold or dream theater sound. My sonic maximizer does it but i lose the tube tone and it sounds solid state
Well, A7X uses Uberschalls. Petrucci's tone is very difficult to get. Look into what gear he's using, let that give you an idea
Triple recto's can definitely do tight with some work. Good EQing and something like a Maxon OD808 would really help too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

BBE Sonic Maximizers are pretty terrible - try to sell that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
Triple recto's can definitely do tight with some work. Good EQing and something like a Maxon OD808 would really help too.

I think at the money he's spending, there are amps that will get a tight sound much better then a recto
A friend of mine is going through the same thing - trying to sell his Triple Recto to fund something that will actually be an improvement. His best offer was his Recto + $800 for a VHT Pitbull UL.

He bought a Maxon OD808 and solved his problem.

If you want to spend another $800 on top of selling your Mesa to fix your problem, then get a new amp. I suggest you try a boost and EQing first though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

If you have the money, follow Felix's advice and get an amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I dunno... I think 90% of your problem is that it's a triple rec...

That's a lot of headroom for damn near any application. You're gonna be lacking tube breakup, so I'd def say follow Felix's advice and get an amp.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
or get an attenuator and turn that thing somewhere past 2?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yeah I agree with Jon, and a 808 or SD-1 or something will help alot also
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Honestly, you don't need any effects or pedals to get a recto to have that huge metal tone. You really just need to know how to EQ an amp (especially a recto since they are different). I always recommend keeping the presence at or below 10 o'clock. Rectos sound heaviest through v30 cabs. I prefer the mesa traditional because you won't get so much mud (the standard is way too muddy). If I can remember correctly, my old recto eq was Gain - 2 o'clock, Presence - 9:30 o'clock, Bass - noon, Treble - 1:00 o'clock, Middle - 10:00 o'clock. I might have mixed up the bass and treble, not sure though. Modern mode.
Also make the sonic maximizer totally puts a false front on your tone. You think it sounds good, and you slowly as time passes keep on turning up the knob because you think you need more of it, but one day you will it off and realize that it is a total tone killer. It sounds alright during personal practice, but totally murders your tone in live situations. It was actually created to reverse the blanket effect that effects loops put on amps when you run a ton of effects through them, not to 'enhance' your general sound.