Does anyone know what amps Billy Corgan and James Iha used to record their cleans on this album?

I'm well aware that:
- Siamese Dream has a sh*tload of overdubs (like every Pumpkins album)
- Billy uses some big rack setup live (no idea what James used)
but I just want to know what amp would get me close to that beautiful, sparkling clean tone like on Mayonaise. I deferred my DSL 401 order once I convinced all my relatives to send me $$$ instead of presents (I got a load of rich relatives) which can put me into JCM900/used Twin Reverb territory, which I have a feeling are the amps they used.
Am I right, and if so which ones?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
im not so sure the kind, but the only recording of the album came from Billy Corgan, nothing from James i do believe. great album, sorry I couldnt tell you more haha
I'm pretty sure that the Pumpkins have never used Fender Amps (their cleans sound nothing like Fender cleans anyway). Billy used a JCM800 head for Siamese Dream, so the 900 should do just fine if that's what you're set on getting.

I don't really know how they get that unique clean sound, but Billy used Lace Sensor pickups in all of his strats, so that may have something to do with it.

But remember, the pumpkins have literally hundreds of pedals, so you never know what kind of EQs, filters, reverbs, etc. they could be using to produce their sound.
Last edited by curlyhead_P at Dec 16, 2008,
I know I won't get that exact sound, but something close would be good enough especially since my main guitar has humbuckers where as Billy mostly uses Strats.

I would like an 800, but I've never seen a used JCM800 combo in my price range and I'm pretty sure he used a 900.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Billy Corgan runs a 1983 (I believe at least) Marshall JCM 800 2203 head modified to run with KT88 power tubes which are LOUD and REALLY CLEAN. He cranks the Master Volume and uses the Preamp to control how loud the amp is. He gets ALL distortion from a 70s Big Muff (Rams Head model I believe) into the Marshall and runs strats loaded with a Lace Sensor Red/Gold/Blue set. Billy used pretty much just that for Siamese Dream and Gish. for Mellon Collie he started using his rack setup, which was a Marshall JMP-1 MIDI Preamp into a Mesa Stragey 400 power amp. He also runs his amps into Marshall 1960 cabs, stock. He also used a Vox AC30 or a Fender Bassman for certain cleans on Mellon Collie, but the majority of his recorded sound is a KT88 loaded Marshall 2203 with a Big Muff in front. Old Big Muffs (and even modern ones) have difficulty cutting through live so he used the midi setup to get the same crunchy sound while still being heard.
Ihave a Big Muff with a Corgan mod (as it's known) so I got distortion covered.

It looks like I'm gonna have to find a JCM800 and turn a few tricks to pay for it. Although would KT88 power tubes give any amp that clean tone?
Quote by Cathbard
KT88s are really loud clean tubes. Corgan uses that so he can pump his Marshall's volume yet keep it from getting super dirty. In all honesty, you probably won't need a JCM 800; just grab a KT88 loaded amp, no matter the brand, and use your pedal in front. That should get you really close. Also, you may want to use a strat.
Most of the amps which come with KT88s stock are way out of my budget, so I'm probably gonna get an amp with stock EL34s and swap the power tubes, because from all accounts they can be directly swapped.
Quote by Cathbard
with a little modification if i'm not mistaken, but yes, that's a good idea. Also get something with one channel, since the 2203 is one channel.