I bought a gift for my cousin a Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar (Maple, With Case) and notice that the guitar does not have that steal bar that is located near the the tremolo lock. Is this something that I have to install separately or does it come with the guitar installed before hand?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0110102
It comes with it, some just don't like it but like the strat, so don't use it and block the tremolo a la Eric Clapton.As for installing it, it's something you just need to screw in.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
"It comes with it, some just don't like it but like the strat, so don't use it and block the tremolo a la Eric Clapton.As for installing it, it's something you just need to screw in."

Curious to know what purpose does it serve?
Good lord, this pretty much takes the cake when it comes to ugly strats. All strats are ugly, but that one.... ouch.

To answer your question,

It's a tremolo bar, it makes the guitars pitch lower when you push it in, making for some diverse solos and sounds.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Last edited by YourDad at Dec 16, 2008,
Quote by a2d2
"It comes with it, some just don't like it but like the strat, so don't use it and block the tremolo a la Eric Clapton.As for installing it, it's something you just need to screw in."

Curious to know what purpose does it serve?

Basically lowers the pitch when pushed down. Mr. Jeff Beck demonstrates a bit here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuK2msTzec
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
It should have came with the strat. It's called a whammy bar. I have a box of them and never screw them in my strats.