What is guitar software exaclty? I saw a review for amplitude metal, and it looks interesting as hell. But what exactly is it, and how is it used?
simplest way to think of it is as a multi FX unit, moddeling amp with mic and cab simulators but using your computers hardware as opposed to an FX unit.

They can be run a standalone program or as a plug in for a recording program

download a trial for amplitube or guitar rig (may fave) and take a look dude - it's great stuff
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Guitar Pro 5 is a good piece of software.

EDIT: sorry thought u were talking about a different kind lol.
So you just install into your computer and you can play through it and it's got different amp models and such? Is it used mostly just for recording?
you can get external pedal boards for them, so if you wanted to use them at a gig etc you can output from your PC/whatever into a PA or amp

But yeah, just install on your computer - you need to have ASIO drivers for your soundcard/audio interface, if you have a built in soundcard, try downloading asio 4 all -

the pedal boards tend to have built in audio interfaces (the bit that takes the analogue signal from your guitar and converts it into digital 1's and 0s)

At the moment I'm using a soundblasetr fatality xfi, which is really a high end gaming souncard (or at least it was when i got it) and that works fine
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Hmm, I might pick something like that up for my computer after i get it fixed, and upgraded. Thanks for the replies man.
no worries, download the trials etc and have a look

Originally i got hacked verions off torrent sites but i loved them soooo much I bought them
ehh.... don't like them. They just sound real fishy to me. Just like how digital eqs dont sound nearly as good as rack eqs.