Page 1 of 3
Right, my build will finally actually be getting underway, but due to my extreme indecision, I'll be needing some help... So actually, it might kind of end up being a partial 'people decide' build

So! First off, a pickup question... Mini humbuckers or P90s? Anyone have anything to say about them? I'm wanting something that can switch between stuff like jazz and blues to classic and hard rock, so I figure those are my two best options.
Bridges... Tune-O-Matic with stopbar/string-thru/archtop styletailpiece, anyone have any opinions? Or a Badass type wraparound?

I'll have more questions later, of course... My body is made from a big table I have laying around, same thickness as my Squier... Neck is from a MIJ StratI found in my grandparents' basement... JUST the neck, I didn't dismantle a Japanese Strat. I'll start cutting out the body soon, since my winter break starts friday, but I'm doing it with a jigsaw, so progress will be slow... The design is kind of like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, but with a round back end... And I may make it semi hollow, depending on how well my Dremel router attachment works.

tl;dr= Need help with my 100 GBP build!

Thanks, guys... And I know, I've asked some of the questions before, but more opinions isn't bad, right?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
It's all prefrence, but my favorite setup is a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck postition. I'd say tune-o-matic for bridge. If you don't use a trem that is. Once again it is all preference. If you can (and go with the HB/P90 setup), add a coil split switch somewhere so your middle position will cancel hum.

Have fun, and looking forward to pics. The jaguar is one of my favorite body styles.
Haha, yeah, I know it's preference, but I haven't had too much experience with all sorts of guitars, I'm making this one because none I've ever tried have ever really felt right... And I;m pretty sure I'll be going Tune-O-Matic, I'm just not sure what to put past the other end of the bridge itself (stopbar, string-thru, etc.)
How bad does your P90 hum?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Cool deal... And I'm not sure if you'd know the answer to this, it's more for the electronics gurus, but are P90s like other single coils, where the bridge and neck pickups have the same output, or do I need a higher output one for the bridge?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

i think they're just higher output than singles. you don't need a higher output for one or the other.

if you're looking for budget, check www.guitarfetish.com for some cheap p90s. i'm putting them in my 100 gbp build
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I've been looking at them, and I've certainly heard that they're good... So now I think I am going to go with P90s instead of mini humbuckers, unless anyone has anything really good to say about them(...?)
Thanks, both of you guys
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Okay, I has pics of the neck ...
After staining and doodling with sharpies and coloured pencils, and lots and lots of satin lacquer

And reshaped headstock

And tomorrow, if I can get out of Christmas cookie making duty, I'll get the wood ready for cutting and maybe (but probably not) start
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Ah, you have indeed... My indecision always keeps me changing designs and plans, but now with this nice little 100 GBP thing going on I figured I'd just bite the bullet, figure stuff out, and stick to it XD
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Dude, that neck is AWESOMELY AWESOME

I'm proud of myself. I said dude and two forms of awesome in the same reply
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Lol I'm so stuck in the 90's

TS, just to elaborate on what I said before, the smiley face has to be my favorite part of the whole thing
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i personally dont like it, i reckon its a waste of a fender neck, but everyone has their own oppinion and im sure the TS will make it end up full of awesomeness...
Well, I didn't have a body to go with the neck, and my whole belief is that you shouldn't make, let's say a Stratocaster... If you want one, buy a real one
EDIT: And Natrone, you should indeed feel proud of that sentence of epicness
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Dec 19, 2008,
Christmas brought many good things: Namely, money for parts
So I'll be ordering parts soon, but what does everyone think about getting a tremolo? I mean, I'm not gonna be doing any br00tal shr3ddingz, so it wouldn't be a Floyd, just the regular two point Strat-type tremolo... I already have one on my Strat, but I figure it might be useful sometimes. Yes, no?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Why not get a Trem King? I'm getting one for my build too.
Link
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Those do look pretty nifty, but I've gotta stay under $150 USD
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Yeah, it has the front 'horns' like a Jaguar, Jazzmaster, those ones, but I used a huge bowl to make the butt end, and rounded the transition between the two halves
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Haha, not quite, I'm in the process, but it's all traced out and stuff... I'm doing it with a jigsaw, so progress is unbelievably slow... An hour of work gets me a few inches, and I haven't been working on it for a while, since 9 inches of snow puts a damper on building it outside, the only location I have to do it... Plus, it's winter in northern Illinois, so, more than about an hour and a half outside gets me frostbite... So it's slow, but eventually it shall get done, and when it does I promise many many pics

EDIT: I have a pic of the shape for you, taken a while ago on my old crappy 3.2 megapixel camera... Once it's done, they'll be better quality... I'm not sure if you can even see too well, the pencil lines are faint and the wood is messy
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Dec 30, 2008,
Guess who found a reciprocating saw in his basement?
I haven't been doing much work on it recently, but tomorrow hopefully I'll finish getting the entire thing cut: I also changed the design a bit. And if the reciprocating saw works well, I think it will indeed end up as a semi hollow with P90s, since I'll be ordering parts as soon as the body's done, so I can sand and whatnot while waiting
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

From what I can see, it looks like a pretty cool design, man. Reminds me a little of my Schecter Tempest, but with a less protruding top horn. I like it.

Good luck with the build, hope it goes really well for you.

Haha, I had actually been considering saving up for a Tempest before I decided to build one instead
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Okay, so just so you know that I am in fact making progress with the cutting, here's a picture of what I've done today, it's the rough cut, but hopefully it'll be done if not tomorrow by monday or tuesday... My design changes consist of giving the top horn a slightly deeper cut than before and making more upper fret access
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Well, I've hit a roadblock: My parents are flipping out about a D in math, so I'm gonna have to try and cut times when they're out of the house, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get parts by the end of the month, as per the competition
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Coolcat13
Well, I've hit a roadblock: My parents are flipping out about a D in math, so I'm gonna have to try and cut times when they're out of the house, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get parts by the end of the month, as per the competition

D in math? For shame

I couldn't imagine that, I'm an Aerospace Engineer so math is like blood related to me at this point.
Quote by Coolcat13
My parents are flipping out about a D in math

Quote by chip46
I couldn't imagine that, I'm an Aerospace Engineer

PWNED!
Yeah, I'll admit, it's definitely not good... And I try, I do, but I'm just no good at it... Plus not getting medicine for the ADD I've been proven to have doesn't help my academic performance... And an engineer isn't in my future anyways (I'm thinking abnormal psychology), but yes
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Okay, so, progress will start being made again soon... After I got an 1800 on my practice SAT and an estimated ACT range of 27 they've regained confidence in my academic capabilities for the most part (Of course, math was the only thing I did bad on, I did near perfect in english on both tests) and both of them told me to pursue music in college

But anyways! I decided to do a partial scallop on the last few frets, just because I've always wanted to try them... And if I don't like them, I barely use those frets anyways, if I do like them, I may scallop more, so here's a bad pic of that

I also think I have a colour picked out... I love the look of retro(ish) shaped guitars coloured in red, so I'm diong it in a slightly darker red so it's not too contrasting with the neck... And I was bored, so I made a bunch of little stripes with masking tape, so there are sorts of tiger stripes that you can't see yet
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Double post!?!? Oh noes!!

Oh yes!!

I have some mini updates, but unfortunately, nothing major... My birthday is next week, so I'll be getting some money for that, and my dad said I'd be able to order the parts then... I'm waiting till then so I don't have to skimp as much on the prices and stuff. And tonight I got a hold of our fancy hi def camera, so I has made pics of the two extra frets I scalloped since last time

And, the finished but not completely polished headstock... The stencil moved a bit while spraying, so there's a little blotch by the last flower, but other than that I'm happy enough with it

And, the slightly modified design with stuff drawn out... Except, both of the knobs will be about half an inch down and to the left... I'll have the knob on the lower horn if I go with a pickguard, or else below the pickups

Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

^ Holy crap! Dude, I've been sigged!

looks pretty cool dude. I like the smiley face on the fretboard
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
^ Holy crap! Dude, I've been sigged!

looks pretty cool dude. I like the smiley face on the fretboard

What can I say, I'm a man who appreciates humorous irony, and that was the best I'd seen all day... But my fear about the fretboard is that since it's all either drawn or painted on, it'll someday wear off, even though it's all under like a bajillion coats of clear... Oh well, we'll see, and thanks for the support in my seemingly failing project
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

What can I say dude? There's something endearing about stuff that aesthetically looks like a mentally challenged 2nd grader made

BTW, that's a compliment
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
...Thanks?
Yeah, I know that I'm not an artist nor a pro luthier with access to all sorts of tools and finishing supplies and stuff, so I figured I might as well just have fun with it all

For parts, I'm thinking... Roller string trees, no-name tuners, P90s, Intonatable wraparound bridge/tailpiece, a volume for each and a master tone... Yes?

Also, can anyone tell what kind of nut that's made for? There are two what appear to be small screws coming from the wood, and it's definitely not for a thin nut like on my Sh!tstrat and most Strats I've seen

Thanks!
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

I can has bump?

I'm sorry, guys, but I'm a really indecisive person, and having peoples' inputs would be nice
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Page 1 of 3