Page 2 of 3
thats def a floyd rose nut. im like...99.999999999999% sure about that.
so I dunno what kind of bridge ur planning for this build, but a floyd is a possibility now because u have the right kind of nut slot for it. im pretty sure ur gonna HAVE to use a floyd nut, whether or not they actually function without locking the stings down (which would be much easier if ur not using the matching bridge) im not sure, but i think thats the only route you have to go.
Quote by RIP_bonham
thats def a floyd rose nut. im like...99.999999999999% sure about that.
so I dunno what kind of bridge ur planning for this build, but a floyd is a possibility now because u have the right kind of nut slot for it. im pretty sure ur gonna HAVE to use a floyd nut, whether or not they actually function without locking the stings down (which would be much easier if ur not using the matching bridge) im not sure, but i think thats the only route you have to go.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I had thought, but I'm not too familiar with FRs, so I wanted to be sure... So I suppose that I'll just do the locking nut but not lock it down (I'm using one of the intonatable wraparounds, btw), and then I'll have to option to put on the Floyd eventually if I ever want to, though my Squier has a tremolo and I barely use it, so it's not a priority right now. Thanks again for clearing that up, it's been bugging me for a long time

And in update news, I have confirmation that I can definitely finish cutting the body tomorrow

EDIT: Since there are the two destroyed screws there... I must wonder, could I use a roller nut, like
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Last edited by Coolcat13 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
that nut wont fit where the fr nut went (screws won't fit, won't wide enough)

Okie dokie, that's why I asked, thank you... 'Twould have been quite unfortunate to get the wrong nut and then have to wait for a new one
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Okay, so, a trip to radioshack today got me a soldering iron, solder, and capacitors (You would use .047uf for p90s, right?)

And I was thinking about the floyd rose thing... But it doesn't have holes for the string retainer, it has the screw holes for normal string trees
So I'm thinking maybe it was originally a normal nut but someone fixed it to fit a FR?

EDIT: Oh, and I know rosin-core solder is the right kind, that's what I got, but I couldn't find any 60/40... So is 63/37 still okay?

Also, I finished cutting it out with the reciprocating saw... Still needs a LOT of sanding work, but other than that I like its progress
My only fear is that it seems to come off in layers of you pull on it hard enough... As in, if I were to fit a wedge in there, I'd be able to peel off the top quarter inch or so... It won't so much as budge as far as bending or breaking in half goes, though, so it should hold. (I've decided it to be some sort of MDF fiberboard with some layers of actual wood between)

It's heavy as fack, just that body there weighs two pounds more than my Squier
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

alright i really cant be of much help at all in terms of those last questions, except that on my 80 dollar RR knock-off (yes, 80 dollars ) that has a FR, theres no string retainers at all, but maybe thats because it has the angled headstock. im too lazy to double check but im assuming ur headstock is not angled? which me thinks means you will need string retainers of some kind. but you could always drill new holes and fill the old ones eh?
Quote by RIP_bonham
alright i really cant be of much help at all in terms of those last questions, except that on my 80 dollar RR knock-off (yes, 80 dollars ) that has a FR, theres no string retainers at all, but maybe thats because it has the angled headstock. im too lazy to double check but im assuming ur headstock is not angled? which me thinks means you will need string retainers of some kind. but you could always drill new holes and fill the old ones eh?

80 dollars? Very nice, very nice ... You lucky ba$tard

And yeah, mine's not angled, it's the normal Strat type, flat and holes for two string trees... Would I be able to use the locking nut but not locked down with roller trees, or would I still need the FR retainer bar?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Dr. House
Next time invest in at least a jig saw. It'll be quicker.

We tried, it made it about 3 inches and stopped... And the reciprocating saw worked just fine, albeit a bit rough... But plenty of sanding'll sort that out nicely
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Dr. House
HM. Whatever rubs your budah then.

At first I thought you mean Buddah, and I instinctively looked at the small Buddah statue I have on a shelf by my bed... then I realized it was butter
Though, the jigsaw did do an amazingly smooth cut for the little length it worked... Maybe I just needed a more powerful one, who knows, as long as it got done

And tomorrow I'll probably be able to get my hands on my grandpa's belt sander, so that'll take care of sanding by the end of the week
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

ya i dunno bout the string retainer as i dont have much exprience with FRs (the RR is my first, and the guitar needs a lot of work as it is currently unplayable)
but either way i cant wait to see this done.
Quote by RIP_bonham
ya i dunno bout the string retainer as i dont have much exprience with FRs (the RR is my first, and the guitar needs a lot of work as it is currently unplayable)
but either way i cant wait to see this done.

Thanks, man
... You know, I had been starting to lose faith in this, but today brought it back... And those two recent threads about wires got me to thinking, so I went around and hunted for something that may have audio compatible wire, and sure enough I found one of those crappy home laser tag games with a quarter-sized speaker for the buzzer, and took the opportunity to play around with my new soldering iron... The fruits of my plunder ended up being a pretty much infinite supply of wires like these ...4 very very small copper wires in plastic tubing... I could use them for the ground wire and running from pot to pot and to the jack, right?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Mkay, so guys, I'm tad bit confused... For P90s, do I use traditional single coil electronics like 250K pots and .022uf caps?

Oh, and also, tomorrow my dad said we could probably go out to the lumberyard, so I may get some real wood to build this from
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

So, today I headed off to guitar center with the gift card I had gotten for my birthday, and came back with
Bridge/stopbar, neck plate, string trees, knobs, jack plate, and strap buttons, putting my total up to $80 USD, and leaving me still needing tuners, electronics, and pickups... But I think I can do it
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

funny, when i looked at that picture, i immediately saw the ps2 controller, then the gibson logo, then i realized chuck norris was staring at me.

if he wasn't a picture i would be dead by now.
Quote by RIP_bonham
funny, when i looked at that picture, i immediately saw the ps2 controller, then the gibson logo, then i realized chuck norris was staring at me.

if he wasn't a picture i would be dead by now.

Exactly. In the time it would've took you too notice Chuck after seeing the controller and the logo, you'd have been roundhouse kicked in the face

And the cool thing about that is that it's a calender, and each month has a bunch of Chuck Norris facts

BUT, this post must have a point... I'm going to be ordering pickups soon, and going out sometime in the next few days for pots and a switch... Then I'll just need tuners and the nut
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Schism1985
lol you're using gibson parts on a jag build? Leo Fender must be rolling in his grave right now

Well, not quite a Jag build, I just took inspiration from them... And it's okay, I got Fender string trees, so it balances itself out, since the only actual Gibson brand bit is the jack plate
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

haha thats an awesome calender.
ive got myself a fender custom shop one. pretty sweet if i do say so myself.

what kind of pickups are you thinkin of?
Well, I was originally going to go P90s, but now I'm thinking I may want to do humbuckers with a coil split in the neck... I'll probably get whatever I decide on off of eBay, since I don't need anything that fantastically amazing, and I have a $70 USD budget left for those, electronics, and tuners... Or if anyone could recommend me a website with at least fair quality pickups for a good price, it'd be much appreciated

EDIT: Geeze, I'm an idiot. I completely forgot GFS!
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Feb 10, 2009,
Okay, so, I'm working on more routing and sanding tonight and then I will be tomorrow, too... Since I now have a TOM and stoptail instead of the original wraparound, I know it's the actual bridge that matters for scale length, but how far back should the stoptail be to keep enough string tension? And yes, I do know that I need to recess it, I'm going to be doing that too
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Alright, I'm getting my pickups from guitarfetish tomorrow... Could anyone possibly get me a diagram of 2 humbuckers, one volume and one tone with a mini toggle coil split for the neck humbucker? They use regular Seymour Duncan type wiring diagrams, but that website didn't have any coil splits with a mini toggle, only push/pulls.

And yes, I used the searchbar and the ultimate wiring diagrams thread, but they were all for push/pull pots.
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Push-Pulls and mini toggles have the same leads on them.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
...Really? Man. I feel like even more of an idiot than I did forgetting about GFS

Thanks

EDIT: But wait, then how would I connect the mini toggle to the volume pot?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Feb 13, 2009,
Aww, you could have gotten two stacked P-90s, that would have been great!
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
I would've liked to, but for it to count for $150 USD, I only had $70 left to spend on pickups, electronics, and tuners... But I'm already planning building another, so maybe then
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Pickups and tuners have been ordered

And then today I went out to me local industrial electronics supply store and got myself some items... A jack, 2 pots, and a switch... Problem being, the switch is crazy... It's an on-off-on (Yes, I got that on purpose), and it has 6 prongs, and I don't know what to wire where

And from the same laser tag game I got a bunch of wires from, I got this little three-pronged on-off switch... Could I use it for coil tapping? And if so, how would I wire it, since it's not attached to the volume like push/pull pots

Oh, and I had use of my grandpa's belt sander and drill press (circa 1946), so the body's all sanded and about 85% routed, I just have to wait till I get my humbuckers to make sure... It turned out well, with a minor case of loosevaginaneckjointicitis being the only real problem, and it can be fixed with wood filler and glue... I'll get pics of that up soon, probably just once it's done being routed

Any help on those questions or just things to say about the build would be much appreciated!
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Triple post!

Well, unless I can figure out how to wire that little switch for a coil split, looks like plans for that are ruined, since the only place that has cocentric/push-pull pots near me is guitar center, and the lady there refused to sell me 500ks, she claimed they're only for active systems... So, I'm stuck with 250ks on humbuckers, we'll see how that turns out... So, if anyone could tell me if that little switch is even useable for a coil split, and if so how to do it, that'd be fantastic... Oh, and also that on-off-on toggle, I still can't figure that out...

And does anyone know how long Guitarfetish takes to ship? I want my pickups!
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Quote by Coolcat13
Triple post!

Well, unless I can figure out how to wire that little switch for a coil split, looks like plans for that are ruined, since the only place that has cocentric/push-pull pots near me is guitar center, and the lady there refused to sell me 500ks, she claimed they're only for active systems... So, I'm stuck with 250ks on humbuckers, we'll see how that turns out... So, if anyone could tell me if that little switch is even useable for a coil split, and if so how to do it, that'd be fantastic... Oh, and also that on-off-on toggle, I still can't figure that out...

And does anyone know how long Guitarfetish takes to ship? I want my pickups!

What???

Okay, you're doing 2 humbuckers and you want 1 vol, 1 tone and a coil split?

Which p'up do you want to split? I'll do a diagram.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I know, it was weird... But If it sounds that funky, I can always get others... And I want the neck humbucker to split... So does that mean that switch is useable for a split?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

You have a dpdt on/off/on and a spst on/on correct?

If you were planning on only using 1 p'up at a time, you can use the on/off/on for the split and the on/on for p'up selection (since the on/off/on wouldnt give you both p'ups at the same time anyway).

Edit: And guitar fetish uses seymour duncan wiring colors right?
Quote by handbanana
Last edited by wiliscool at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by wiliscool
You have a dpdt on/off/on and a spst on/on correct?

If you were planning on only using 1 p'up at a time, you can use the on/off/on for the split and the on/on for p'up selection (since the on/off/on wouldnt give you both p'ups at the same time anyway).

EGAD! YOU JUST CAUSED A REVELATION!

My original plan was indeed to have the on/off/on to select pickups, since then I could use the off position sort of as a killswitch... But I think your idea makes infinite more sense

EDIT: Yup, seymour duncan wiring codes
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last thing before I draw up the diagram,
you can do either of the following:

- a switch for neck/bridge p'up and a switch for north coil/humbucker/south coil on one or both p'ups
(you could do inner coils/HBs/outer coils)

or

- a switch for Neck p'up/both p'ups and a switch on the neck p'up for single coil/off/humbucker
(so that in the "both" p'ups position you could turn off the neck p'up and have just the bridge)

Your choice.
Quote by handbanana
Oh, geeze, ask the super indecisive guy something like this...

So that first option lets me choose the pickup, and then the 3way lets me choose to use one or both as single coils or humbuckers?
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Correct.
Quote by handbanana
I think I like that option, sounds nice and versatile
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Alright, give me about 10 minutes.
Quote by handbanana