alright! so i've got a 2005 Gibson Sg standard with a Seymour Duncan invader in the bridge (love it) and i want to figure out what would be the best choice for a neck pickup to go along with it. i play variants of heavy metal, mostly thrashy speed metal kinds of stuff, one of my biggest influences is lamb of god(although i use the E-flat tuning not the dropped D), so that should give you a basic idea of the kind of stuff i'll be playing.

i'm looking for a versatile pickup that that will sound great no matter what you play on it (for the most part) but will also be able to do kickass, searing metal solos (clarity is good!) with good harmonic sounds and all that other metal crap

any help would be appreciated, as i'm a little lost as far as choosing goes!
According to SD's site lamb of god (both guitarsts) use invaders in the bridge

Any high output pickup meant for the neck position is good enough for metal, as generally getting the "searing" solos with good harmonic sounds usually comes from the bridge pickup anyway.. That said, check out this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/8

And what amp are you using?
i'm playing through a simple 75 watt spider 3 combo right now, it does the job.

No, look at Mark Morton's signature guitar. pair of '59's. Look at pics of Willie Adler playing with his number 1 axe, the camo LP guitar. You won't see an Invader's pole pieces on there.

thats true but SD doesnt have them listed under 59' users which is odd, any opinions on the 59' neck?

SD Full Shred in the neck

i was considering that, but is it/would it be muddy?
... If you like the tone of an Invader through a Spider, anything will do
You desperately need to save up for a new amp. Not only is a Spider generally agreed to be pretty poor, but it'll sound WORSE being played with a high output pickup like an Invader.

If you want to disregard that essential advice and go straight to the pickup, I suggest a DiMarzio Evolution neck model.

Don't say you weren't warned, a pickup change will make minimal difference through your current amp.
^Sound advice.

^^It used to have them listed on the '59 users. Don't know why it doesn't. But it used to - trust me.
But try not to think of their pickups as the main component of their tone. Their sound comes from two Mesa Mark IV's run in stereo. Pickups are a very small part of their tone, or anyone's. Amps are MUCH more influential.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Sound advice.

^^It used to have them listed on the '59 users. Don't know why it doesn't. But it used to - trust me.
But try not to think of their pickups as the main component of their tone. Their sound comes from two Mesa Mark IV's run in stereo. Pickups are a very small part of their tone, or anyone's. Amps are MUCH more influential.

indeed! the amps are much more important. but if your really worried about a muddy neck pup, just get the '59. seems like alot (and by alot i really mean a few) of metal guitarist still use them in the neck. and yes LoG uses the 59 i was just on the SD site and it said they use them. maybe not in every guitar but at some point they do. along with Dimebag. sounds like the '59 could be the answer to all your problems (besides your spider III)

note: i think you said you play on the "insane" channel, try the metal channel at least if you really want to hear a guitar...or you could just keep it on insane and make that noise you call music. (not hating on you...i would just tone the gain down a lil bit so its actually music, not just sounds)
hahaaa, so much hate on the spider, i've managed to get a crisp, clear and heavy tone out of that amp that i'm happy with, i dont know if its the setup i have or what but i'm far from hating it.

thanks for the advice i'll look into those pickups a bit more
the guitar i'm putting the pickups in isnt the one i use as my main guitar right now. i have a 1998 Gibson SG-X (limited edition us army green) with an invader in the bridge and i love it.
So use that guitar then.

And I never understand people who supposedly love their amps tone, but are so dissatisfied with it, they wish to change p'ups.
Quote by supergerbil
So use that guitar then.

And I never understand people who supposedly love their amps tone, but are so dissatisfied with it, they wish to change p'ups.

Those are people who think the amount of money they'd have to put towards a new amp would be a waste. What has to be realised is, is it more wasteful to spend a lot of money on something that will make a difference, or a little bit less money on something that will make a lot less difference?