Hey everyone. I own a Mesa Single Rect head, running that through a Marshall 4x12 cab. I have a variety of pedals, but I cant achieve the tone im always looking for. I was wondering how the GT-10 is. not just for jamming around on lower volumes, for high volume, live purposes. Also, with the GT-10 could I just use it as effects and still use the distortion on my head + my Ibanez Tube screamer withing the GT-10 or my rig losing any of its sound? thanks
I do not own a GT-10 but I've been using the GT-8 for a long while now...

You could technically use it for its effects, but it will suck the tone from your mesa. To be honest, as much as I love the thing, it just doesn't beat a nice real tube amp (although it does a pretty good job at replicating one). The only way I made it sound not as digital was to hook it up with my mesa 50/50 tube power amp.

Bottom line, there's probably a better way.

EDIT: You could check sonic maximizers. That could help.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Last edited by Cynoxx at Dec 16, 2008,
ah, ya thats what I was affraid of. Maybe something like the sonic maximizer or a TC electronics G-system?
Quote by Cynoxx
I do not own a GT-10 but I've been using the GT-8 for a long while now...

You could technically use it for its effects, but it will suck the tone from your mesa. To be honest, as much as I love the thing, it just doesn't beat a nice real tube amp (although it does a pretty good job at replicating one). The only way I made it sound not as digital was to hook it up with my mesa 50/50 tube power amp.

Bottom line, there's probably a better way.

EDIT: You could check sonic maximizers. That could help.

Yes.

A lot of the bands I've played with lately are using single rec's, and most of them have pretty good tone. The one's that didn't are using multi-effects processors. As a general rule of thumb IMO... multi-effects generally run lower quality effects than each individual pedal would. So if you're looking for something out of it, I'd much sooner recommend getting each individual component rather than a catch-all to semi-satisfy all of the needs.

I used to have a GNX3... hated that thing on high volumes, which really more or less negated the point of having it altogether. Of course, I had a **** rig at the time.

tl;dr Buy individual pedals/rackmount stuff.

EDIT: What kind of Marshall cab are you running it through?
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
The 1960 is a decent match, really... I'm guessing by your favorite bands you're looking for a tone somewhere within that realm. You really could just get that out of a single rec in my experience...

Maybe try eliminating that tubescreamer in front of it... you might be happy with the amp gain...

If not, try running the sonic maximizer, but I'd really recommend a noise gate too.

I had an ISP Noise Decimator once, was probably the best investment I had made... until it was stolen
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
haha, ya i have a isp noise decimator, and a boss dd-7. But, i dont really have to money to go out and buy like 8 more pedals for the other stuff I want. So, I thought maybe a multi effect would be the way to go.

I use to the screamer just to booste the distortion a little for leads, casue imo the amp on the vintage mode sounds like a harder driver jcm800.
Ahhh goood gooood... you had me thinking it was constantly on for some reason...

The GT-10 is like $400 though if I remember right.

What kind of change in tone are you looking for anyway?
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
A Petrucci/Vai meets maiden meets buckethead kinda of tone. haha. I'm almost there tone wise, just need some good reverb, delay chorus flanger to give it some depth at times. Clean wise I'd like the array of effects for some experimental stuff.

I've also heard some great things about the G-system, that it doesnt ruin your tone casue it focuses on the effects and doesnt "amp model".
Haven't looked into the G-system... but just realize that running a bunch of pedals is going affect your signal... not to mention the endless amounts of cables that have to be run.

A multi-effects processor wouldn't be bad for messing around, but in my experience, live- they suck.

The EHX Holy Grail is a pretty good reverb pedal, the MXR EVH flanger gets good reviews.

Delay never worked out for me. I tried running a low MS delay with a decent amount of decay, just to thicken up the sound a bit, but it more or less made things seem out of key a bit running through notes and such. But since you already have the DD-7 you prob have that dialed in I'm guessing...

But those two pedals would be $190 below the price of a GT-10 (after looking it up)... so you could prob still get an EQ or something within that price range too.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Shafty,

you can control your amps channel switching with the boss gt10, therefore giving you your amps distortion tone with the flexibility of using the delays/mods/other fx etc from the boss gt10. This will colour your tone slightly, but not massively and by tweaking the boss's graphic eq you can get this colouration down to a minimum.

You can also plug a pedal into the gt10's own effects loop and program it into your patches.

another thing to think about is using some kind of external effects loop, like this http://www.music123.com/Radial-BigShot-EFX-Effects-Loop-153937-i1124799.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Radial-_-Guitar%20Amplifiers%20and%20Effects-_-Radial%20BigShot%20EFX%20Effects%20Loop&source=ZWBZWXX&mr:referralID=e6a588d5-cc36-11dd-9f5b-000423c27407

then you can drop the gt10 out of the signal path to just hear your amps distortion.

I hope that helps :-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
pretty much the gt10 is everything you need in a pedal. i play a lot of live shows with this and has yet to fail me. Heat, cold, stomping this thing is a tank. the ez tone feature is pretty much your key to getting the tone you want. having a mesa rec with a marsh cab or a crate combo, it doesn't matter. this thing molds around with what you want. read up on it and check some tube videos, other than that my friend and i use this pedal religiously.
Quote by XtownTraffic
pretty much the gt10 is everything you need in a pedal. i play a lot of live shows with this and has yet to fail me. Heat, cold, stomping this thing is a tank. the ez tone feature is pretty much your key to getting the tone you want. having a mesa rec with a marsh cab or a crate combo, it doesn't matter. this thing molds around with what you want. read up on it and check some tube videos, other than that my friend and i use this pedal religiously.

This man speaks the truth, as long as you're patient and take the time to sit down, then the GT-10 won't suck your tone at all. Also, think about the benefits of turning off multiple effects all at once with one stomp. It just takes the patience to find the ultimate tone that a lot of people lack.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
use the 4 cable method and turn off the amp models, this preserves your tone.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Use Return / Send For Pedal To Amp...and Split To Yr Twin Amps ....great Results !!
i just git boss gt10 pedal board..im finding all the delays seem to be behind the main signal.... im trying to get it to become more frontal....any tips on this one muchio gracio
Ringo

p/s iv toyed the obvious...using the effect output up high and direct in signal low but to no avail !