Poll: can anyone make music with practice??
Poll Options
View poll results: can anyone make music with practice??
yay
73 77%
nay
22 23%
Voters: 95.
iv been thinking lately,maybe not everyone can make thier own music,seeing as i am having difficulty in doing so,i thought i should make a poll and ask if any of you have felt this way before....well,do you?

yay or nay???
I never really thought about it. I just knew the guitar made a weird sound when I plucked the shiny long thing, and went from there.
Well how long have you been playing guitar? It comes with experience, in some people's case.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Yes anyone can play make their own music, even if it is just an a minor pentatonic box.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Yes it comes with experiance. Find your own sound and go with it. Idk if this is true but a friend toldme the beatles were a band for long time before they were any good (weather you think theyre good is all in context of course)
Depends on how long you've been playing. You can't use a guitar as an outlet if your mind doesn't instinctively know how to use it yet. It just takes a while. Coming up with your own stuff is a really personal thing. It's hard not to doubt yourself, but just keep trying. Like I said, it comes with experience.
How long have you been playing for?

I was awful at writing music, now I'm not to bad.
Quote by Doppelgänger
I'm horrible at making music.

Also, Care Bears was an awesome show.

My little pony was better
Quote by LordBishek
My little pony was better

Oh please. Even their villains were likeable. Beastly was the shizz.
It's weird...I can write good riffs when I haven't played guitar in like a week. But anytime I play after that I have constant writers block and just sit there like a dumbass playing stupid shit.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by Doppelgänger
Oh please. Even their villains were likeable. Beastly was the shizz.

Whatever man, I don't care. I could never fap to care bears though.
Quote by LordBishek

Whatever man, I don't care. I could never fap to care bears though.

That's because they were so damn cute and innocent.

Not like that's stopped you before...
It doesn't have to do with practice, it has to do with creativity. Its like creating art, you don't think about it, you get inspired and put that idea into an artistic medium. In our case its music rather than canvas or marble or anything else.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I always feel like I'm never gonna be able to write another song again. But then like an hour later I've written something pretty nifty.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by slaptasticdave
It doesn't have to do with practice, it has to do with creativity. Its like creating art, you don't think about it, you get inspired and put that idea into an artistic medium. In our case its music rather than canvas or marble or anything else.

That's stupid.

I'm not even going to bother arguing that. Do you think a person who has been playing for one year is going to write like Mozart did?
Quote by jetfuel495
yeah. I used to think "everything I write blows!" but after a while people started saying they liked it.

Same. I never like what I write so I never show anybody anything that I write. The only thing I ever liked that I made was a solo for my new band. I think its because guitar riffs don't usually sound right unless I have a band to add to it and then it sounds x1000 better.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Dec 16, 2008,
I have some really good ideas in my head, but I can't use GuitarPro, and without that, I can't really play it until I know where to play on my guitar. I could make some really good stuff if I knew how to use that program.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I have some really good ideas in my head, but I can't use GuitarPro, and without that, I can't really play it until I know where to play on my guitar. I could make some really good stuff if I knew how to use that program.

It's not that hard to use?
Quote by Regression
It's not that hard to use?

Maybe he doesn't know how to read sheet music so he doesn't know which notes/tempo/time signature to use?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by 'Leviathan'

I write more than I cover. I've never touched guitar pro, and I've never used powertab for own songs.
Whats holding you back from experimenting on the guitar till you come up with something to store in your head?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by En_zed
I write more than I cover. I've never touched guitar pro, and I've never used powertab for own songs.
Whats holding you back from experimenting on the guitar till you come up with something to store in your head?

I make up a lot of great stuff off the top of my head, I mean, I can literally play for an hour or so straight, and be able to play with new ideas, but once I've played them, I forget, as the stuff I think of is pretty diverse... but, I guess I could record...
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I make up a lot of great stuff off the top of my head, I mean, I can literally play for an hour or so straight, and be able to play with new ideas, but once I've played them, I forget, as the stuff I think of is pretty diverse... but, I guess I could record...

Good to hear the first part of that.
What I do to get things to stick in my head, is that I play them over and over again. sometimes I'll associate a name to what I've come up with, then write it down. You won't be able to remember every little thing at first, but now I find I can recall all the cool riffs that I've came up with.

You're just another brick in the wall
Hmmm....this is a simply question that would require an extremely complex answer. I don't think we'll ever know unless we give everybody on earth a guitar and say "Do something!"
There are some people who just can't do something no matter how hard they try or who is teaching them. I can't juggle, run a mile, do backflips, and many other things. Music is a talent like anything else. Either you get it or you don't. Some people get it, some people can learn it, and then there are some people who can try and try but it just isn't happening for them. I've seen it myself. At least one of my best friends wants to be a musician and he's been trying for years to sing and learn theory and play guitar. It just isn't working for him and I don't have the heart to tell him he needs to give up on his dream and pick another life... but maybe he isn't trying hard enough (which I don't think he is) So I'm open to the possibility that I am wrong, but given my experience with various people... I just connect the dots.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by Regression
How long have you been playing for?

I was awful at writing music, now I'm not to bad.

me too
i wrote like a simple guitar line with a progression of e5, g5, a5, b 5
all in 8th notes
and was like super proud of myself
now im writing lines for 2 guitars, a piano, strings, bass, and drums
with stuff like Dm7, Am, C, G#7 or along that line
and arpeggios, scalar movement, all that jazz
and ive been playing for a year
oops, I voted no in accident. I thought the question was "did you have any doubts to whether you could make music", not "can anyone make music with practice".
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
It's hard to write music when you're a musician just beginning, but with greater knowledge comes better ability to arrange music.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
As Bach said:

Making music is an excercise, the more music you make the more experienced and better you get at making music.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
There are some people who just can't do something no matter how hard they try or who is teaching them. I can't juggle, run a mile, do backflips, and many other things. Music is a talent like anything else. Either you get it or you don't. Some people get it, some people can learn it, and then there are some people who can try and try but it just isn't happening for them. I've seen it myself. At least one of my best friends wants to be a musician and he's been trying for years to sing and learn theory and play guitar. It just isn't working for him and I don't have the heart to tell him he needs to give up on his dream and pick another life... but maybe he isn't trying hard enough (which I don't think he is) So I'm open to the possibility that I am wrong, but given my experience with various people... I just connect the dots.

It's proven scientifically that everyone can make music, but only 2% of the world population do it correctly.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Dec 17, 2008,
Everybody can make their own music, but it being any good is something else entirely.

Not everybody has natural talent, by natural I mean the nodes in your brain developing perfectly coincidentally to take to writing music well.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by XxLloydxX
As Bach said:

Making music is an excercise, the more music you make the more experienced and better you get at making music.

right, but I think everybody has a "cap" and "xp level rate" if you're getting my gaming lingo
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by XxLloydxX

It's proven scientifically that everyone can make music, but only 2% of the world population do it correctly.

I call bull****, as there is no scientifically correct way to make music. Any "correctness" in music is in the realm of pedagogical circles, and needs to stay there.

as for me, I got into music through punk and industrial, neither of which are particularly demanding, so I never really had any doubts. the fact that I never cared what other people thought of my music helped too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I call bull****, as there is no scientifically correct way to make music. Any "correctness" in music is in the realm of pedagogical circles, and needs to stay there.

as for me, I got into music through punk and industrial, neither of which are particularly demanding, so I never really had any doubts. the fact that I never cared what other people thought of my music helped too.

statistics also claim that 92% of people can't detect sarcasm...
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Umm.... yes. Even if it's made up of just really simple chord patterns or riffs, it still can be music and sound great. People even subconsciously make music by tapping their fingers and all.
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Of course there isn't correct way to make music, but what I meant about the 2% who make it right is that those people are the only ones who are capable of blending the melodies, chords and the structure of the song perfectly to make a beautiful piece of music.
Those 2% are the only talented ones who have perfect harmony, mathematical memory of blending chords and being able to find a relation between every melody and rhythm in just 1 song.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
every song i write ends up sounding like a song already made and when i play it to people there like isnt that the song off the radio
Quote by XxLloydxX
Of course there isn't correct way to make music, but what I meant about the 2% who make it right is that those people are the only ones who are capable of blending the melodies, chords and the structure of the song perfectly to make a beautiful piece of music.
Those 2% are the only talented ones who have perfect harmony, mathematical memory of blending chords and being able to find a relation between every melody and rhythm in just 1 song.

so essentially you're saying that only 2% of people make music by proper western harmony standards, that makes sense, but none of that is necessary to make good music, only to make music that appeals to people conditioned to only like a particular type of music.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm