ok, so basicly ive had an acoustic for a while, i wanna get an electric,
i dont have much experiance with electrics except for playing my freinds and the ones at guitar center so yeah,,,

i kinda want my electric to be as clear as possible for nice sounding chords and able to swich to some real sweet distortion if i ever want
soloing is not important to me,

so i dont really know if theres specific brands/models that are better at soloing or chording or whatever, cs like i said, im used to an acoustic,

so yeah around a 200$ limit my dad says

that and my bro is already getting a strat, so i dont want to get the same thing
but if you really think the strat is the only way to go for around 200$ then just say it iguess

and ive been told ibanez is more for soloing, less for chords, but idk,

like i said im not too experianced with electrics except for just playing them

so basicly....

Electric guitar
around 200$
preferibly NOT a stratocaster
(cs my bros gettin one)

and idk, maybe another guitar that would be good at playing duet with a strat? if you really wanna get technical?

if you want me to be more specific just ask!

thanks !!!

any educated suggestions are appreciated
Actually ibanezs work great for chords I think, the necks are made thin for fast playability/shredding though. It actually depends on the amp settings because some settings are gonna be better for chord playing than others mainly if you heap on the distortion most chords are gonna sound like a bunch of noise with any guitar.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
If at all possible i would try to dig up a few more bucks and get the Epiphone Willshire. It looks like a way nice guitar for the money. Ive never played one i just looked at the specs on line. Very nice features for a guitar in that price range. I dont think you are gonna find much of anything good for $200. Unless you go used.
dude its hard to get anything better than an ibanez for that less of money but ibanez still kicks ass id go with it
Quote by RazorbackRR1
dude its hard to get anything better than an ibanez for that less of money but ibanez still kicks ass id go with it

But the only Ibanez's in that price range are the GIO's, Those really are horrible. Maybe look into a Yamaha Pacifica.
Quote by RazorbackRR1

Yeah I recommend at least about a $400 budget before getting an RG
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
hey yeh, the distortion i mentioned was a little mixed up, when i said distortion i basicly ment that the distortion in general doesnt sound.. "cheap" if i can call it that... or i might not know what im talking about (remember, im acustic all the way untill this christmas)
and the distortion would be used on more like power chords or less (i didnt meen to mean full chords :P my b)

so am i hearing that basicly ibanez's (and basicly everything else) can do clean chords, it just mostly matters on the quality of the amp?

i kinda like ibanezs body style so are there any youde suggest?

and are there any guitars you would definatly suggest NOT to get?

thanks for the quick responses guys!

oh and one final question, wich is iges what this whole thing is about,
so i am kinda comeing to understand/think that
maybe all decent guitars in the 200$ range can do the same thing, so it doesnt really matter if i get the ibanez or the strat, it mostly depends on the amp for quality??
then there are the crappy guitars-that i dont want to get stuck with one

thanks for the big help you guys!
im definatly leaning twards the ibanez now :P before i could even post that, ppl had already double quoted :P

so anything specific?

remember ... 200$ range! thanks!!!
Quote by rawxalot
im definatly leaning twards the ibanez now :P before i could even post that, ppl had already double quoted :P

so anything specific?

remember ... 200$ range! thanks!!!

Which ibby are you looking at right now?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Well i will tell ya what. If you take a WalMart guitar and plug it into a nice tube amp its gonna sound decent. If you take a $3000 dollar PRS and plug it into a WalMart amp, its gonna sound like ****.
http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=4015&src=froogle
this is the only ibanez i have liked at the price.
again 100 dollars more
BUT trust me feels nice and good
read some reviews on harmony central or ug everyone seems to like it too
mahogany at that price?
haha its good starter guitar that can be heavily upgraded with new pickups (even though i love the stock ones)
since the wood is of quality it wont let u down.
i still think ur best choice is the dot, nothing says rhythm guitar more than a hollow body(chords?)
haha gotcha schecter :P

im not really leaning twards any specific ibanez, (seeing as ive only decided to look at ibanez within the past halfhour :P ) cs before i thought they were ment for soloing (something one of my freinds told me 0_o

so suggestsions for the ibanez (or other if you think theres better) 200$ range

thanks
If you had like $200 more I would tell you to get an RG350 lol Ive loved mine so far (minus a few problems that I caused trying to fix the trem myself)

EDIT: Like I said ibanez does chords well but the necks are great for fast solos as well. It depends on what tone/pups you use as to what your chords are gonna sound like.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by pebbles123
http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=4015&src=froogle
this is the only ibanez i have liked at the price.
again 100 dollars more
BUT trust me feels nice and good
read some reviews on harmony central or ug everyone seems to like it too
mahogany at that price?
haha its good starter guitar that can be heavily upgraded with new pickups (even though i love the stock ones)
since the wood is of quality it wont let u down.
i still think ur best choice is the dot, nothing says rhythm guitar more than a hollow body(chords?)

That RG321 is actually a really good guitar. I had that exact same guitar for a while. But arent they like 280 bucks?
Only ones besides that RG321 are all made of agathis which I havent had any experince with (my RG is basswood)
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
hey quick question

will this "thin neck" that i keep hearing about on the ibanez effect my chord playing?
or feel?
like strings hitting or anything?
or is just kinda like an added bonus if i ever decide to solo?
i would immagine barchords would be easier.. but on electrics theyre probubly easy enouph eh

iguess this meens another trip to guitar center to try it on for size :P
Quote by rawxalot
hey quick question

will this "thin neck" that i keep hearing about on the ibanez effect my chord playing?
or feel?
i would immagine barchords would be easier.. but on electrics theyre probubly easy enouph eh

No from my experience, and Ive played numerous rg's in music stores, it shouldnt affect your playing in a bad way at all its just like you said kind of a bonus as it plays alot faster than a standard neck. No string problems should be present, unless you have a poor setup on it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Ive owned several ibanez guitars through the years. Never had a problem playing anything on them. You can play chords just fine! Just roll back on your gain settings on your amp so it dont sound like a bunch of angry bees in a cardboard box.
Quote by rawxalot
hey quick question

or feel?

feel definetly, still a guitar but compared to the dot (which feels acousticky in the good way) which has a broad gibson-ish neck the wizard neck will feel kinda of like a I and the other is more like D get it?
u can solo on any guitar! u wont be a better soloist just cous u have an ibanez
but the feel WILL be different
sorry if i didnt made sense.
again i higly reccomend the dot not an ibanez.
IF YOU MUST IBANEZ the 321 rg is the best on price
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
looks like im going with the ibanez RG321 .. unless theres any objections :P

hopefully ill try it out latertoday at the store

thanks guys! you were all a big help
Quote by rawxalot

Yep always happy to help
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by rawxalot

Great choice for your budget!
Quote by rawxalot
hey quick question

or feel?

Everybody has a different preference, but I find that the thin wizard neck on my Ibanez is not nearly as comfortable for playing chords as the more rounded c-shaped neck on my strat.

Since you already know how to play a guitar, your best option by far is to go to guitar center and play a bunch of stuff to see what you like best. Your biggest hurdle is going to be finding something for $200 that doesn't have garbage pickups. Your other approach could simply be to forget about how it sounds for now and buy the one that plays the best within your budget, and plan on a pickup upgrade sometime in the future. Since I'm guessing you don't have an amp yet anyway, no matter what you get it'll probably sound bad until you can buy a good quality amp.
I wouldn't go with a floyd if he's just starting out. If he wants to experiment with different tunings, the floyd will cause problems. Do you have to be able to try it out? If not, these two might be a good choice; http://www.rondomusic.com/gg7cusvs.html or http://www.rondomusic.com/product2292.html
I've heard that thicker necks are better for chording, that some people feel like their hand is cramping when they try and chord a lot with really thin necks. I'd find something with a rounded neck, and possibly a partially hollow body.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
yeah i tried an ibanez out at guitar center similar to the RG321 (the guy said anyway) and i liked it, so im goin with it for now i think
thanks guys
Quote by Jim85IROC
Everybody has a different preference, but I find that the thin wizard neck on my Ibanez is not nearly as comfortable for playing chords as the more rounded c-shaped neck on my strat.

+10, After switching from Ibanez wizard necks to a C-shaped strat neck, I definitely prefer strat style necks over ANY neck.

Get a telecaster if you're looking for something different than your bro's strat and something that can play clean or crank distortion. I'd still recommend a strat over telecaster because I personally think most teles look ugly, but then again my next guitar will be a telecaster.