My friend wants a guitar for christmas to replace his old kramer strat style. He is looking for:
A metal/death metal sound
24 frets
and a shape that is comfortable while sitting

He was previously looking at an Ibanez rgx2ex1

Price range: $300

any suggestions?
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
In that price range the only thing i can think of is an Ibanez RG321MH. Not a bad guitar for 280 bucks, Mahogany body, wizard II neck. And they are worth changing the pups out later on.
I may get flamed on this one,but Epiphone makes a 300 dollar,24 fret metal guitar with a comfortable body and pickups that can be switched between active and passive that might be worth looking into.

EDIT: The RG you mentioned is also a pretty good guitar.I had the same one except with a dyed quilt maple top and the only issues I had with it were the stock pups and some minor tuning issues from the stock tuners.Put some real EMG pups in there instead of the "designed by emg" passives and I bet it would be a beast.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 16, 2008,
Agreed Ibanez RG series FTW
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Pr0gNut
I may get flamed on this one,but Epiphone makes a 300 dollar,24 fret metal guitar with a comfortable body and pickups that can be switched between active and passive that might be worth looking into.

What model is that?
Quote by Pr0gNut

That is what I mentioned to him.
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by grayfox1001
That is what I mentioned to him.

I would suggest an RG honestly, yes I am kind of an ibanez fanboy but I just love the way they play and sound.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by ShallowEndings
What model is that?

Epi prophecy EM-2 EX

They also make one with the same features as the EX that has an actual original FR trem on it for only 400 bucks ,I've been looking into that model since it looks pretty nice,haven't had the chance to play one yet though.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut

EDIT: The RG you mentioned is also a pretty good guitar.I had the same one except with a dyed quilt maple top and the only issues I had with it were the stock pups and some minor tuning issues from the stock tuners.Put some real EMG pups in there instead of the "designed by emg" passives and I bet it would be a beast.

Thats the blue prophecy guitar isnt it? I was looking at those on line. The specs dont sound bad for a 300 dollar guitar. I beleive its a set neck guitar with a mahogany body. Most guitars in that price range are agathis or some other cheap wood. I always try to stick to mahogany or basswood.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I would suggest an RG honestly, yes I am kind of an ibanez fanboy but I just love the way they play and sound.

As I am an epi fanboy : )
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Thats the blue prophecy guitar isnt it? I was looking at those on line. The specs dont sound bad for a 300 dollar guitar. I beleive its a set neck guitar with a mahogany body. Most guitars in that price range are agathis or some other cheap wood. I always try to stick to mahogany or basswood.

If I remember right it's some kind of crazy all access bolt on but I'm not 100 % sure

Also,according to MF,it has a bound basswood body which is another nice surprise at that price point.

Quote by grayfox1001
As I am an epi fanboy : )

ha ha fair enough to each his own I say
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Pr0gNut

Seymour Duncan AHB-1 maybe? IMO they sound btter for detuned metal stuff then EMG's. Don't hate me, i no EMG are awesome but yeh.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Seymour Duncan AHB-1 maybe? IMO they sound btter for detuned metal stuff then EMG's. Don't hate me, i no EMG are awesome but yeh.

I've always preferred Duncans over EMG pickups as well.EMG are nice,but they just don't have that organic warmth and feel that a set of duncans has IMO.

Well i am a schecter fan, But i also like and own Ibanez. And i like some epiphones. Its ok to like own and play diffrent brands of guitars guys.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Well i am a schecter fan, But i also like and own Ibanez. And i like some epiphones. Its ok to like own and play diffrent brands of guitars guys.

We arent forcing him to get an Ibanez or anything. But i think that particular ibanez would be ideal
Quote by IPlaySchecter

I know I kinda like jackson guitars as well but when I played my first RG I fell in love lol
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I think he'll go with an Ibanez, thanks guys
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
I'd go with the epi personally.I mean I love Ibanez and the majority of guitars I own are Ibanez but the pickups and what not at that price point are going to be pretty poor and the Epi has more going for it as far as features go,I'd have your friend play both of them or if it's a surpise gift or something like that play them yourself then pick the better of the two.

Quote by drunkass
how about a used mim strat with humbuckers?

If the used route is gonna be taken you can get a much better guitar for metal than a MIM strat IMO,like a used MIJ Ibanez or a Schecter or ESP.

Quote by ShallowEndings
We arent forcing him to get an Ibanez or anything. But i think that particular ibanez would be ideal

Please read above! I was the first person in this thread to suggest Ibanez! LOL
Quote by IPlaySchecter

Oh my bad. Sorry lol
Quote by IPlaySchecter

LOL yeah in the end you should pick what you want I can give you all the recommendation in the world but in the end its your decision!
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by IPlaySchecter
In that price range the only thing i can think of is an Ibanez RG321MH. Not a bad guitar for 280 bucks, Mahogany body, wizard II neck. And they are worth changing the pups out later on.

+Loads.

I love my '321.