I have mostly played electric guitars. I borrowed my friends acoustic and I really like it.
It is a lower end Suzuki acoustic guitar, but it feels good to me.

So I would like to buy my own acoustic.
I know absolutely nothing about which brands are good.
I read the thread on which guitars are best for under 300.

But I like to buy kindof nice stuff.

My budget is say 600ish give or take.

Got any suggestions?

Any advantages of having an acoustic-electric, or a cutaway in the body?
Read around first before you post. Every new "what guitar" post asks if they should go with an electric. Also, there is a recent thread, still on this page, that deals with cutaways. After you read those, narrow down your question.
A cutaway will either be a love it or hate it thing. The whole cutaway's purpose is to give the player more space to play on higher frets. Now, since your an electric player this would most likely come in handy.

Electronics in an acoustic is totally up to you. If you feel you are going to be using an amp or pedals or gigging or whatever, it is definitely worth it. You can find great electric-acoustics for the price, most of which are cutaways too.

As for brands, I'd suggest:

Seagull, Alvarez, Yamaha, Takamine, Breedlove. Most of the brands you will find in the Under 300 thread produce high end guitars that will more than likely suit your needs.

You should definitely just check out a local guitar shop and ask them to recommend you some guitars to try that are in your price range. All we can really do is tell you names, but they have the ability to pick them out, explain each one more in depth, and you actually get to play and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
Why would your first recommendation be an Ovation? If he asked, "what guitar should I buy if I only want to play it plugged in?', then it would be okay to do so, but until someone says that, don't.
Cutaways give you easy access to upper frets. An acoustic electric, or as you'll see it abbreviated around here A/E, is really only necessary if you plan to gig with your acoustic. Of course, you'll be hard pressed to find a "pure acoustic" (no electronics) with a cutaway, so if you really, REALLY want easy access to upper frets, you'll more than likely have to go A/E.

In your price range, Takamine, Epiphone Masterbuilt, Alvarez, and Washburn are your friends. At least to my limited knowledge they are. You'll be given other suggestions as well, and more than likely they will be good suggestions.

Advice: Stay away from Fender and Ibanez. Great electrics, but they tend to have poor quality control and low-end materials in their acoustics.

When looking for an acoustic, you generally want as much solid wood on your guitar as is humanly possible. This isn't always the case because some companies make very very high quality laminates, such as Takamine, Breedlove, and I believe Seagull.

Remember, an acoustic is all up to personal taste, and each and every one will be different in sub $1k acoustics. Sometimes you'll find a guitar that is an absolute beast, then play another guitar, same model, and it will suck.

The most important thing to do before shelling out money on an acoustic is make a list of guitars you think would suit your purposes, then head to your local shop and try out every guitar on your list. Also, go into the store with an open mind so that you don't pass up the guitar of your dreams just because it wasn't on your list.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Silverstien, you posted my reply almost word for word! My whole reply is a "whoops, beaten to it"
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Okay, So I'm almost positive I want a cutaway after reading the thread and it states that loss of tone isn't noticeable.

If I got an acoustic-electric would I be able to play it just fine through my Mesa or would I have to buy a new amp made for acoustics?
Quote by tlt31
Why would your first recommendation be an Ovation? If he asked, "what guitar should I buy if I only want to play it plugged in?', then it would be okay to do so, but until someone says that, don't.

Although I agree that Ovations are crap, I don't agree with how your stirring **** up over nothing. Maybe he recommended it for the same reason anyone recommends anything, because he likes it. Sure, I bitch about Ovation all the time, but that's not gunna change other peoples opinions on them. Incase you didn't realize, the TS only asked for some brands to check out.

Besides, I don't see you recommending anything, or contributing anything useful for that matter. Oh wait, let me guess, you were going to recommend a Taylor and tell him everything else sucks, right?
I suppose

TS, it MIGHT sound tolerable through your Mesa, but you really should get an acoustic amp. The cool thing about buying an A/E is that sometimes you can talk the sales rep into throwing in an acoustic amp for free or for a steep discount.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I suppose

TS, it MIGHT sound tolerable through your Mesa, but you really should get an acoustic amp. The cool thing about buying an A/E is that sometimes you can talk the sales rep into throwing in an acoustic amp for free or for a steep discount.

Yup, and touching on that, there is an acoustic electronics thread on this forum that has tons of different amps that you can look into if you decide to go the route of an acoustic electric. here's the link

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742699
Quote by Silverstein14
Although I agree that Ovations are crap, I don't agree with how your stirring **** up over nothing. Maybe he recommended it for the same reason anyone recommends anything, because he likes it. Sure, I bitch about Ovation all the time, but that's not gunna change other peoples opinions on them. Incase you didn't realize, the TS only asked for some brands to check out.

Besides, I don't see you recommending anything, or contributing anything useful for that matter. Oh wait, let me guess, you were going to recommend a Taylor and tell him everything else sucks, right?

I wouldn't really say I am stirring anything up, but you said it yourself, Ovations are something to bitch about, and I was bitching about them. I think you are the one stirring something up by generalizing my recommendations. I recommended Taylors on occasions when people were looking for them. It is purely coincidence.
well first thing is first. you'll have to try them all out to see what you like best, cuz every brand's acoustic is different (neck, action, ect.). but for a budget, you can't go wrong with Seagull Guitars. ALL of their models feature a solid top(A MUST, at the very least for a decent quality acoustic) for a fair price.

some things to look out for in an acoustic:

- how it's built. try to get as MUCH solid wood as possible. at the very least a solid top. like i mentioned before, Seagull has made it a standard that ALL of their models have at least a Solid Top.

- Stay away from your general badass electric guitar companies. fender, ibanez, ect, make badass electrics but their acoustics are mediocre.

now with a budget of $600 i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND... wait no, let me rephrase that..

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS GUITAR IN THE LINK RIGHT BELOW
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-25th-Anniversary-Dreadnaught-Guitar?sku=516401

it is $600 and it is ALL SOLID WOOD. i don't know about you but i don't see alot of guitars with all solid wood build this cheap.

but like i said before, it may not suite your tastes so go try some acoustics and find out for yourself. just make sure to follow the guidelines above

EDIT: i just saw you wanted a cutaway. well then maybe the guitar i posted in the link won't be for you then. oh well
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
^Actually, quite a few brands have all-solid guitars in this range. Epiphone Masterbuilts are all-solid (I don't like the fretboards. Too flat for my tastes, but to each his own), Alvarez will have all-solid guitars in this price range. Washburn will as well. That Seagull looks like it's definately worth considering though.

Also, you can get a much higher-end acoustic for less money if you are willing to go used. I've seen Taylor 314's (all-solid, cutaway, smaller grand auditorium body style, and Taylor Expression System electronics) go for $600-700 on craigslist before.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Dec 17, 2008,