The only metal I've really heard is System of A Down, if you consider it so. Or, better yet, the hardest music I listen to is System of a Down. I've heard a lot about metal on this board and from friends, and I think it's something I'd like to get into. I've heard a song or two by Chaimaira and Fear Factory, which I didn't like so much, BUT - that was a year or two ago when I wasn't so open, and I'm not sure if thats metal exactly. I've also heard some Black Sabbath, but thats not really the kind of metal im thinking of? Then again, I really know nothing about metal.

I also like the guitar aspects of metal, the riffs, solos, etc, and the general heaviness of it. Ever since I mistakenly got a metal-ish guitar (RG), I've fallen in love with it and I feel that it's a better time than ever to start playing metal if i I like it, and also get into a new style.

So I'm talking maybe 5-10, maybe 12 songs. I have the Master of Puppets album, so nothing off that. Umm.. yeah thats it. Just some good metal songs that can sort of define the genre, new and old.

Right now I listen to most everything. Classic rock, new rock, acoustic, country, alternative, I proudly accept all genres.. but I've never gotten into metal.

I don't know what kind of metal I might like, or anythnig about it.

Slash
pantera...they got me into metal....
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Pantera, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, etc.

some good Thrash Metal should get you goin, you may later on venture into Death Metal and the sorts down the road, but this stuff (the "softer" stuff) is good to start out with.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Yeah thats a pretty good list. One recomendation would be that you shouldn't start off listening to anything too heavy as it will probably put you off the genre completley. Start with Traditional metal/NWOBHM, power metal and thrash metal. If you like those subgenres then you're more likely to like the others. If not, metal really isn't for you. Its not everyones cup of tea
edguy, pantera, megadeth, pain of salvation, arch enemy, sonata arctica, dark tranquility, in flames,

Those are ones that from different types of metal. There is lots of different kinds you just have to find the one for you.
Pantera is a huge band that got me into heavier metal. I would listen to Anthrax's Sound of white noise album, its a softer thrash that is good to ease into it. Classic metallica, Ozzy was good for me as well. then there is megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Black Label Society, and God Forbid has some great songs on their last album 'constitution of treason', but thats a little heavy. but try it anyways, lol.
Quote by sbinlb
a few bands pantera, trivium, lamb of god,slayer

Don't take this as an insult against your favourite bands but the metal forum is already the largest bands and artists subforum, and can't cope with the surge of popularity of metalcore, therefore, metalcore is to be discussed in the less busy Hardcore Forum
Death - Symbolic album
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Pentagram - Pentagram
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath

Those should be good starters. But the nice people in the Rec Thread are probably happy to help you out.
starting off with classic metal is always better. stuff like black sabbath, iron maiden, dio, and anthrax is good to start with.

where you go from there is kinda up to you.
Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis or Dunwich

Let the heaviness crush your bones.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Bewitched by Candlemass

So epic...
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
2nd electric wizard^

painkiller - judas priest
spirit crusher - death
deathamphetamine - exodus
love?, or far beyond metal - strapping young lad(maybe hah)
children of bodom - triple corpse hammerblow
wintersun - winter madness(i started getting into death metal with CoB and wintersun)
black waltz - kalmah
april ethereal or baying of hounds(pretty much anything off ghost reveries) - opeth
extreme unction - necrophagist
bolt thrower - zeroed
cry of the blackbirds - amon amarth

all i can think of for just starting-ish stuff now.. notice i got progressively heavier as the list went down
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Nah, Stalaggh seems more his thing.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
@TS: you shuold give up
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
you worded the title of this thread strangely, as if you could get something other than metal.

"give me some jazz songs to get into metal"
Beavis: Ummm... hey Butt-head... isn't there a place you can go to like... ummm... y'know... ask questions like this?

Butt-head: Beavis you dumbass, it's right there on the top. Re... Recom... Recommendation Thread.

Beavis: heh-heh... you said "come" heh heh

Butt-head: Uhh... oh yeah...